996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Your .02 || PSS10s vs. X73 (C4S)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:12 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good news on the struts -- sounds like they were able to use the pieces I brought from the original suspension and install them correctly along with the thrust bearing, which they said had been mis-installed and was flopping around in there. So no need for new mounts or bearing rings!

Anders - I would recommend printing out the Porsche parts diagram for the front suspension and clearly indicating which parts should be scavenged and installed with the PSS10s. That way hopefully your guys can get the job done correctly the first time.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by zroadhouse
Good news on the struts -- sounds like they were able to use the pieces I brought from the original suspension and install them correctly along with the thrust bearing…..
Cool

Anders - I would recommend printing out the Porsche parts diagram for the front suspension and clearly indicating which parts should be scavenged and installed with the PSS10s. That way hopefully your guys can get the job done correctly the first time.
Thanks, I've already sent the shop a few snippets of threads, and the link to the Pelican Parts page, along with my desired setup. The technician I've been told has quite a bit of experience with the PSS system on several of the 996 flavors. I should be covered. <<crosses fingers>>
Old 02-12-2009, 04:59 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
Cool

Thanks, I've already sent the shop a few snippets of threads, and the link to the Pelican Parts page, along with my desired setup. The technician I've been told has quite a bit of experience with the PSS system on several of the 996 flavors. I should be covered. <<crosses fingers>>
I have my fingers crossed even now that they got it right this time on my car. I guess we'll see tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:30 AM
zroadhouse
Racer

Got the car back from the shop this morning. It turns out that the seepage from the front differential was related to the improper/inexperienced installation of the PSS10s. TPWS said that when they had the suspension apart that the driver's side axle just kind of slid out -- i.e. the shop that originally did the install wasn't familiar enough with Porsches to understand that attachment point (a snap ring or something). They were able to use the parts I brought to fix the PSS10s, replaced the diff seal, reattached the axle (no damage luckily), and it feels great driving it now! TPWS also recommended raising the suspension slightly and getting an alignment done given that I'm using this as a street car.

I guess the lesson in this is to make sure that whoever does the install knows what the h3ll they are doing! The second lesson is that if you buy a Porsche sight-unseen, your best bet is to buy from an area that has excellent Porsche shops nearby to give you a better PPI (my inspector didn't notice/comment on the suspension noise).
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Got the car back from the shop this morning. It turns out that the seepage from the front differential was related to the improper/inexperienced installation of the PSS10s. TPWS said that when they had the suspension apart that the driver's side axle just kind of slid out -- i.e. the shop that originally did the install wasn't familiar enough with Porsches to understand that attachment point (a snap ring or something). They were able to use the parts I brought to fix the PSS10s, replaced the diff seal, reattached the axle (no damage luckily), and it feels great driving it now! TPWS also recommended raising the suspension slightly and getting an alignment done given that I'm using this as a street car.
Yikes. Glad you are all buttoned up now and street worthy.

Can't remember your ride heights from earlier posts. I am shooting for 25.5 all around.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:43 AM
zroadhouse
Racer

I will need to measure my ride height. How did you settle on 25.5? When do you get you car back with the goods installed?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Link

Jon996 has PSS10s and I went on his advice. Its pretty low and the spacers fill it out as well. Will report back shortly.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:22 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

What about your alignment specs? I need to research this before taking the car in for alignment after raising the suspension slightly. I have the POs specs, but I'm not sure how he arrived at them. Can someone post a link to the stock setup - both ride height and alignment for a C4S for comparison purposes?
Old 02-14-2009, 01:17 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

What about your alignment specs?
None yet; visually aligned, and it looks good until I can get to the alignment shop for reasonable street settings and corner balance.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:50 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

Originally Posted by Anders0n||C4S
None yet; visually aligned, and it looks good until I can get to the alignment shop for reasonable street settings and corner balance.
Ok. Let me know how that goes.

So, where's your thread with the goods! Before someone else says it -- this thread is useless without pics!
Old 02-14-2009, 02:53 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

So, where's your thread with the goods! Before someone else says it -- this thread is useless without pics!
Link
Old 02-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all: Just a FYI on ride heights. Here is something to read when you are bored.
Basically, the 25.5" we went with is a touch higher than GT2 and just about 1/2" lower than MO30. (see table 10).

Table 1 is measured under the car. I ended up 131mm front and 144mm rear, which is higher than X73 but a little lower than ROW30.

Suspension Link

Congratulations--looks great and love white.

Last edited by Jon996; 02-14-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

Originally Posted by Jon996
Hi all: Just a FYI on ride heights. Here is something to read when you are bored.
Basically, the 25.5" we went with is a touch higher than GT2 and just about 1/5" lower than MO30. (see table 10).

Table 1 is measured under the car. I ended up 131mm front and 144mm rear, which is higher than X73 but a little lower than ROW30.

Suspension Link

Congratulations--looks great and love white.
Very useful link. I really haven't had any scraping issues except on the entrance to the garage at work (tried it once -- won't do that again). Speed bumps are ok as long as I go very slow. What has your experience been with those settings and street driving?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very useful link. I really haven't had any scraping issues except on the entrance to the garage at work (tried it once -- won't do that again). Speed bumps are ok as long as I go very slow. What has your experience been with those settings and street driving?
Sounds like I have had the same experience you have. I am very careful with steep driveways. Taking them at an angle helps. I have hit some large bumps with no problems.

I have bumped a curb when parking, but it was only with my front spoiler. (I have a stock C4S black plastic front spoiler. Looks OK with my dark red car, and is tough and easily replaced.) If I had a painted front spoiler like many of you I would have to be a little more careful!
Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 PM
zroadhouse
Racer

I'm fortunate -- I have a TT spoiler on the car plus an extra C4S spoiler in the garage (included in the sale from the PO) so I have a backup in case I totally screw up. The indy said that some 996TT owners were putting C4S spoilers on for street driving because they are a little more forgiving in terms of ride height.

Quick Reply: Your .02 || PSS10s vs. X73 (C4S)