Sponsored by:

pricing advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 12:22 PM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 97 Posts

I think it is a good deal. Cannot always look at wholesale and eBay. The one your interested in CPO and from a Porsche dealer.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
s-spiff
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The strongest bargaining position is when you've got nothing to lose and are willing to walk away. Even though the dealer stated they won't go any lower, you don't know what happens when you walk. All the background info stated on value matters very little when it gets down to the actual negotiation.

Give them your best offer you believe you could sell it for reasonably (presumably lower than the $33k) and walk, letting them think about it. There are way too many other cars out there and waiting just gives you the advantage, not the dealer. The only other factor is how badly you want to drive a 911 NOW. Being impatient in these times will be expensive.....
Old 01-16-2009, 02:20 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Spiff, you are correct. The biggest bargaining tool in your favor is being resolved to "walk away." It could be that the dealer is unwilling to or can't afford to sell you a car at a particular price that you offered, and I have no absolutely no problems with that.

If I feel the price of a car is X dollars too high and am unwilling to pay that amount, even if that is the dealer's REAL bottom line price, then that is OK too. I move on and continue my search. Maybe the dealer calls me back, and maybe not. The only thing that tells me is that the "value" I placed on that car is too low, or the dealer's "value" on the car is too high and we could not arrive at a mutually agreeable price point.

Never let the dealer/sales person see that your are crazy about the car. If they see that, they know that the odds are in their favor that they won't have to go as low as they can to get the sale. On the other hand, if you say something like "The options are good, but I am not really that crazy about the ______." The blank should be some thing that is not easy or inexpensive to change, like the interior or exterior color, even if that is the exact color you want. That lets them know you are not "in love" with the car and that it will take some work ($$$) on their part to "convince" you to buy it.

Do your research, be ready to play their games, be resolved to beat them at their own games, and most important of all, be ready to walk. Beating them at their own game is, IMO, half of the fun of buying a car.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:01 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

The strongest bargaining position is when you've got nothing to lose and are willing to walk away. Even though the dealer stated they won't go any lower, you don't know what happens when you walk

I must have purchased at least six sport cars over the last 20 years from Dealers at prices that were well below their "won't go any lower" price. The way the game goes is that you make a reasonable offer, after you've done your research, the Dealer comes back with their lowest price, and you walk out. 90 % of the time the salesman calls you within 24 hours and agrees to your offer. In this market, I'd say it will be 100% of the time. Far more cars than buyers in this market. The key is to do your homework. Be tough but reasonable. In other words don't expect to get a $35K 996 for $20K.

Quick Reply: pricing advice