Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Porsche manual transmission sucks or is this one just worn out?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 07:26 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
Did you check ou the link I supplied in post #11? That (the booster spring) is what I was referencing in that post. The link shows a diagram of the clutch pedal and spring in post #4.
Yep, I was just reiterating that that's where my focus will be, at least initially.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 AM
milez
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile transmissions + clutches

Originally Posted by marlinspike
In the friends' manual transmissioned cars (current generation Ford Mustang GT and e36 BMW M3), shifting is a pleasure. The clutch goes in nice and easy and smooth, the shifter hits each gate precisely (the Mustang is even better than the M3 believe it or not).

When I get in my dad's 2002 Carrera 2, it's a big pain in the butt. The clutch is heavy, very heavy (even my dad who drove stickshift for the first two decades of his driving life thinks so). If I'm wearing leather soled loafers, the shoe will twist as I push the clutch because of how stiff it is (I saw loafers because lace-ups are more rigid so they don't, of course). The shifter goes into each gate in a wobbly mush, shaking side to side as you go into each gear. The guy at the dealership insists that this is how Porsches are.

My dad says the clutch was once light (I don't remember since there was a year or so where I didn't drive the car) and then he took it in for a broken cruise control and once that was fixed the clutch was heavy.

So, is the dealership right and Porsche manuals are absolutely horrible, or are there some common wear and tear items at fault here. It's on it's 2nd clutch and only has something like 55k miles. Could it be because when that first clutch was replaced the flywheel had to be remachined (done by whoever these guys use http://www.autothority.com/, I imagine it's good)?
I was "taught" that with 1980's 911's, 1st gear was to just get you moving, 2nd gear was to really get moving to 3,4, and 5th. Also, when at standstill, or just rolling slightly, move the gears into 2nd then 1st. This evidently aligns the syncromesh and prolongs the gearbox life. I would presume the same applies to 996's - well that's what i do, and so far so good at 65000kms. I never "drop the clutch - 996 OEM clutches are "soft" i am told. So, easy the clutch out in all gears, then you can "floor it" when fully engaged. Hope this helps!
Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Hold on. I've driven a new Mustang GT and the clutch was HEAVIER than in my 996. Frankly, the 996 is super-light for me compared to my old 993 and other cars I've driven.

Me thinks there's something odd about his Dad's 2002 Carrera.

Totally unrelated - Want to feel a light clutch, try a Toyota Yaris. OMG, there's almost no resistance, I feel like I could put it through the firewall.

Quick Reply: Porsche manual transmission sucks or is this one just worn out?