Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Approx. Cost of Painting Aero Kit???

Old 01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i know, that was my instinct too. that it was total BS however.......
the paper i read did clearly state that they had done research and that it made almost no impact on down force but did increase drag coefficient. what this research was i dont know, maybe they just fired a hair dryer at it while the rear wheels were parked on bathroom scales but it had figures posted so it must be correct right
they then had the figures both from themselves and porsche for the mk2 kit which showed that downforce was increased significantly without a huge impact on drag.
the they heavily inferred that no specification data from porsche for the mk1 kit backup up their findings, which had simply been to measure effects of each kit, ie that it was so poor that they had withheld it!

now im not one to just believe anything i read but in the absence of anything to the contrary it did get me thinking. i still dont see how a huge stonking taco on the back cannot add more downforce over standard but then stranger things have happened i guess

this is going to annoy me that i cant find it. i know what i am doing tonight now.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

don't forget.......

SAVE-AS
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 PM
outline
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha. im prepared this time. ive been practicing
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Good discussion.

Remember, Porsche isn't always consistent in their recommendations. The 40th Anniv Porsche has a GT2 front bumper, side skirts and no wing.

By the statements above they should not have released that car as it is waiting to lose control faster than a 996 engine explodes.

+1 on the BS article that was quoted. To say that the taco wing does nothing for downforce totally contradicts the experience that those that install it without the front bumper have when they feel "lightness" in the front end caused by the added downforce in the rear. I noticed an immediate difference in high speed handling when I added the wing to my car.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:19 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey all,

sorry to resurrect such an old thread! Having my aero kit II wing painted at the moment. From what I have found a lot of the factory aero kit wings dont seem to have a gloss finish on the underside?

Can anyone shed some light? Was it body shop discretion when the wings werent installed from the factory?

Cheers!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Approx. Cost of Painting Aero Kit???