'02 996 C2 handling issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 AM
maniac
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question '02 996 C2 handling issues

Hi all,

I have a '02 996 C2 with the OEM 18 in. wheels that came with the Michellin Pilot Sport 225 & 285 tires.
Reading about some handling test that was done to this car, the article mentioned that it had too much vertical travel (something that I changed by installing H&R springs and HD bilteins). Also mentioned that:
-It felt very light in the front with a vague feeling of having contact with the road surface (In a fast curve) (I just ordered a front lip spoiler from xtreme motorcars to increase the down force to fix that issue).
-Handling nature that was numb and uncommunicative, didn't gave the reassuring feel, couldn't tell how close to the limit was through some corners.
-The rear felt like it wanted to come around under heavy braking.
It just told the least about what it was up to.

I'm planing to participate in DE and X events, and still be able to drive my car in the street. Please advice how can I improve the above and probably any suggestion on how to modified for a sharper throttle response. Original brake pads will do the job, or I need to look for something like yellow pagid pads?.

Best regards,

JM
Old 12-24-2008, 12:52 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

I would put an aerokit on to plant the car down at speeds... put on gt3 or H&R adjustable roll bar, these are great upgrades...

Pics of your car would be appreciated...
Old 12-24-2008, 02:14 PM
KJinDC
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I always wonder about the, "my car doesn't handle well" posts. Does the driver have any advanced training? If so, how much? How is anyone to know if the ill handling is a result of poor driver input (not saying bad driver) or some other issues. You can slap any number of parts and pieces on the car to make it stiffer and it can seem to handle better at 7-8/10ths. But ultimately even a stock 996 can be made to go very quickly in the right hands.

Now, to this particular posters issues:
I'd suggest getting to the autoX and DE (as you say you plan) a couple times BEFORE making too many changes. Have an instructor it with you to maximize your ability to manipulate the weight transfer in the car to affect the handling. Afterwards look for areas to improve.

Where are you located? Perhaps some local experienced track drivers can help assess your car?

-KJ
Old 12-24-2008, 03:12 PM
racer
Drifting

1) KJ makes some great points about sharing your own experience and/or having someone else with more experience help you sort out the car

2) How's your alignment? Just getting a car aligned properly for its intended use can have an amazing transformation on how your car handles.. at low speed, high speed, corners, turn-in etc.

3) um, 60% percent of the weight is in the back.. it should let you know what it is doing. Does the car feel "twitchy" or is it, quite simply, that you now notice more about wight placement and transfer?

4) Aero is a total package.. Put too much downforce on the front and that rear end could feel even "looser". If you improve one end, its best to improve the other to maintain a balance.

5) Sometimes DE and AX want very different things when it comes to car set up, so be prepared to compromise. Toe Out is very helpful at AX but makes for a very twitchy car everywhere else. Mild understeer is great at the track (from a comfort perspective) but becomes amazingly annoying at AX. Get the idea?
Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 PM
maniac
Intermediate

Thumbs up

Hi all,
My car feels great, specially after the H&R and bilstein installation, also looks more agressive with the lowering of the springs. My car has not been in the track yet. I belong to the lower RGV Texas PCA.
The new Porsche 996 MK2 2002+... GTX Turbo Spoiler lip from xtrememotorcars, looks awsome in the picture. I can't wait to install it..

By the way the article that I mentioned apeared in Road and Track "Mixing and Matching" from 3/ 2002.

Thanks all for the advice & Happy Holidays.

I will post pictures after the installation of the lip.

JM
Old 12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

Are those your observations about your car or something that you read in a magazine article or post?

I also have an 02 and found the handling a little loose and sloppy sometimes. I learned how to out drive those issues, but I found the best solution was to change the suspension from the M032 (touring suspension and default setup in the US), to the ROW M030 sports suspension.

It is a good blend of compliance and drivability with very sharp feel and excellent response. From what I can gather the "reference" 996 was designed with the M030 in mind as the default suspension setup.

After that this car is very stable and balanced. It seems to get especially stiff and stable after 125-145 and feels great up to the limit.

Be sure to look at the whole picture with aerodynamic aids as they usually have to be balanced front to back. Just adding a lip spoiler can upset the balance of the car rather than help it.

Is PCA RGV in the Valley? If so where?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by KJinDC
I always wonder about the, "my car doesn't handle well" posts. Does the driver have any advanced training?
+1

A 996 handles pretty damn good right out of the box even with the stock US suspension. That being said it just doesn't feel like other sports cars.

The front feels lighter than other cars because it is!! However, I wouldn't confuse that feeling for a lack of front end grip.

My advice....

Start with a few autocrosses to get feel for how much grip you have (front and rear) and how the cars is balanced. After that decide what you'd like to change/improve and go about making the necessary changes to make it happen.

If you are not super knowledgeable about suspension set-up the x74 is hard to beat. It's tuned out of the box by Porsches own engineers.

Good luck.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:34 AM
rotokim
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a '99 996 with stock suspension, and I wondered about the handling too for a few months after I bought it. However, I took the advice of fellow 996 owners and track-experienced friends and did my first DE with the suspension as is. I learned that the tires needed to be replaced, and that the car was great for my skill level on the track. It was solid, predictable, and tight - again, at my current novice skill level. So, I also recommend taking it to the track before determining what you need. It might put things into better perspective.
Bob
Old 12-25-2008, 11:07 AM
maniac
Intermediate

Cool

Hi all,

My '02 996 C2 came with Michellin Pilot Sport tires 225/40ZR-18 f & 285/30ZR-18 r.
I upgraded to H&R springs and Bilstein HD shocks set up, that provided a much better handling than before.

I'm looking to match the handling of the 997 S or keep up with C6 Corvettes at the track, at the same time to be able to have a decent street ride.

What alignment setting & tire pressure do you recommend for this?

Looking to get a near-neutral understeer handling. To accomplish this, do you think the ROW roll bars will help (without changing my present springs and shocks)?

JM
Old 12-25-2008, 11:44 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

OK, I'll be direct since others have been subtle and you don't seem to be getting them.

What you read on Road and Track about suspension setup may be different from what your skill level needs.

If you don't know how to handle a rear-engined, rear-wheel driven car, you might be in for a surprise if you push it too hard (i.e. you'll see the rear right in front of you before you could say "throttle lift")

Learn how to drive the car first AT THE TRACK before you aspire in keeping up with the 997s and C6 Vettes.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:02 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd suggest putting some seat time into your Porsche, gradually increasing cornering speed etc. But do yourself a favor, and get to know your new ride before changing/altering your current suspension. Also, the suggestions about some track time with an instructer (DE) would be a great start for you.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 AM
maniac
Intermediate

Wink

Thanks guys, I will follow your advices.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by maniac
Thanks guys, I will follow your advices.
Ok, now that we have that settled, let's get down to the IMPORTANT things, like posting a pic of your car.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Where are those new pics????
Old 12-26-2008, 05:30 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with the comments about getting track time, with instructors.

I'd also comment that aero changes make little/no difference at street speeds. Their influence varies with the square of the speed (if I remember my long-ago physics) so their effect (other than aesthetic and pocketbook-lightening) is very minor on the street.

A stock P-car with correct alignment handles plenty well.

Quick Reply: '02 996 C2 handling issues