Sponsored by:

Carrara white

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:29 AM
R1stcarrera
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

It is interesting to see how the color white is gaining in popularity. When I bought my 996 (Carrera white) I had to defend my color choice quite often.

Its nice to finally feel accepted.....
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2008, 08:07 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

NICE!!
Old 12-23-2008, 08:46 AM
J-F-O
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I read something the other day that white had become the most popular colour for automobiles. Silver and black are less popular. In general, colours are making a comeback.

As for Porsche, white is the colour of choice. That was the original colour of germany.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by R1stcarrera
It is interesting to see how the color white is gaining in popularity. When I bought my 996 (Carrera white) I had to defend my color choice quite often. Its nice to finally feel accepted.....
Very nice.

Originally Posted by J-F-O
I read something the other day that white had become the most popular colour for automobiles. Silver and black are less popular. In general, colours are making a comeback.
White Beats Silver Again As Most Popular Car Color
Old 12-23-2008, 10:25 AM
rudy1024
Pro

Hopefully dissension isn't punished too severely here... but as long as thoughts are being solicited, here's one from the con side... Not a fan of white, although as a big fan of p-cars, if I were to ever have a white car it would have to be a p-car. No offense, but the p-car lines make any color look great.

If you look at Anderson's recent poll and you believe that most folks vote with their wallets, Silver is still the most popular car followed closely by Black... White polled in at just under 2% and was the smallest community (wanted to stay away from saying least "popular"). So the suggestion that white is the new silver doesn't bear out with our neighbors that participated in the poll, unless of course several of us didn't go with our first choice color. I have to admit that my Arctic Silver was not my first choice, Seal Grey was... but if I had the time and wherewithal to maintain a Black or Dark Blue at all times, I would have gone with that... there's something alluring about a p-car cruising at night, the throaty roar that you hear before you see and when you do see, all you see are headlights...

My $0.02, respectfully submitted...

Rudy
------------------------------------
'01 Arctic Silver/Black C2 Cabriolet
'03 Silver F-150 Supercrew
Old 12-23-2008, 10:30 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

True; my poll was supposed to be a measure of what the colors were within our 996 population, which of course is very small relative to the entire 996 ownership population, and of course even smaller than the entire car ownership population where that other study was conducted.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
The 997 looks GREAT in Carrara White!
Tim, you've been blinded by your Honda.

Actually, I like white P-cars, too!
Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rudy1024
Hopefully dissension isn't punished too severely here... but as long as thoughts are being solicited, here's one from the con side........

..... Silver is still the most popular car followed closely by Black......

My $0.02, respectfully submitted...

Rudy
------------------------------------
'01 Arctic Silver/Black C2 Cabriolet
'03 Silver F-150 Supercrew
Rudy,

You make some good points. However, I wonder if a lot of the Black/Gray/Silver popularity has been perpetrated by the dealers. A high percentage of the car they get/order from Porsche are those colors.

So if someone wants to buy a car off the lot, over 50% of the cars will be Black/Gray/Silver. Those are "safe" colors for dealers, because they know they will sell. But do they sell those colors because people really want them or because that is what is available? Kind of the... "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"... syndrome.

I recall numerous threads on the 997 forum when someone posted that thy were going to special order a Silver/Gray car. Invariably someone would ask the question "Why would you order a Silver/Gray car? Just call a few dealers and you will probably find 95% of what you are looking for on their lot." I always thought that had a lot of truth to it.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Rudy,

You make some good points. However, I wonder if a lot of the Black/Gray/Silver popularity has been perpetrated by the dealers. A high percentage of the car they get/order from Porsche are those colors.

So if someone wants to buy a car off the lot, over 50% of the cars will be Black/Gray/Silver. Those are "safe" colors for dealers, because they know they will sell. But do they sell those colors because people really want them or because that is what is available? Kind of the... "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"... syndrome.

I recall numerous threads on the 997 forum when someone posted that thy were going to special order a Silver/Gray car. Invariably someone would ask the question "Why would you order a Silver/Gray car? Just call a few dealers and you will probably find 95% of what you are looking for on their lot." I always thought that had a lot of truth to it.
Yup - a look at any dealer's lot tells you this story - they hate "different" colors.

It's rare to see a white, yellow or green porsche sitting on the lot.

There's a beautiful emerald green '09 997 sitting on the lot at Holberts and the sales staff hate it... they're not seeing interest in it and they personally would not want to drive it. Having said that they love the black cars that are sitting on their lot - that tells you a lot right there.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:47 PM
rudy1024
Pro

Kind of the... "which came first, the chicken or the egg?"... syndrome.
I wonder if that may describe the case... however, as Wellardmac points out, it's rare to see white, yellow or green on a lot... does that suggest that the dealers have experienced difficulty selling colors other than black, blue or silver? I submit that the selection of colors to stock isn't arbitrary, but rather driven by the market...

At any rate, bless the marketing types... the new Cabriolet ads in the magazines show a pumpkin orange metallic... Not sure if I like that color... I suppose the color is trendy (a friend of mine has a Land Rover the same color), but I'm betting it won't have the staying power of the blacks, blues and silvers...

Rudy
--------------------------------
'01 Arctic Silver(second choice)/Black C2 Cabriolet
'03 Silver (also second choice) F-150 Supercrew
Old 12-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by rudy1024
I wonder if that may describe the case... however, as Wellardmac points out, it's rare to see white, yellow or green on a lot... does that suggest that the dealers have experienced difficulty selling colors other than black, blue or silver? I submit that the selection of colors to stock isn't arbitrary, but rather driven by the market...

At any rate, bless the marketing types... the new Cabriolet ads in the magazines show a pumpkin orange metallic... Not sure if I like that color... I suppose the color is trendy (a friend of mine has a Land Rover the same color), but I'm betting it won't have the staying power of the blacks, blues and silvers...
Yes, it's color selection is driven by the market, but it's also a chicken an egg situation in that it you cannot find the color, then you cannot buy it. The front lot at my dealer typically is populated with one or two white cars, a yellow car, a red car,a blue car, then a bunch of various black/grey/silver cars. That's pretty sad - what is this, then Henry Ford model of car sales?

I would love to see more color availability. I like that there are more white cars on the roads - it certainly wasn't the case when I bought my C2, now white is everywhere. It's good that the color preference has changed, but it's a lemming mentality. Just look in the parking lot and everyone has the same colors - that's just insane. You cannot tell me that our population has so little individuality and creativity that they all desire the same colors! I still contend that if more colors were available, then they would sell.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

"Boring Black"
"Same ol' Silver"
"Grandpa Gray"

Wait a minute..... that last one might not be right....... let me verify that.

Yup, it's right..... because Phil's car is Gray!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

"Boring Black"
"Same ol' Silver"
"Grandpa Gray"

You got that right in so many ways! Grey is a "safe" color for a Porsche, just like Red is "safe" for Ferrari.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"Boring Black"
"Same ol' Silver"
"Grandpa Gray"

Tim,

Now, you've really struck a nerve. Atlas Grey = Grandpa Grey. Damn, you would have to say that just a week before a "milestone" birthday arrives next week. And no, I don't want to discuss it.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Tim,

Now, you've really struck a nerve. Atlas Grey = Grandpa Grey. Damn, you would have to say that just a week before a "milestone" birthday arrives next week. And no, I don't want to discuss it.

you're about to hit 70? You don't look a day over 65!

Quick Reply: Carrara white