Sponsored by:

Side view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 01:24 PM
MikeZ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Side view mirror

I dui a dumb thing this am. Pulling out of the garage, I clipped (badly) my passigner side mirror. I can see it will need to be replaced.
What is the best approach to replacement? Can the mirror be bought in the proper color or do I need a body shop to do this?

Any help appreciated.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 PM
MikeZ
Instructor

Dealer quoted approx. $400. This includes painted housing, glass and installation.
Does this sound reasonable?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:52 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

I think so.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
SH || NC
Drifting

Less than $500 installed? I think so too.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It happen to my Saab a few years back. The battery was dead and i had to push it out of the garage to get a boost. There was a slight decline on my drive way and the car start rolling while I was steering and pushing with the drivers door open. BANG.....door smashed into the pillar next to the drive way. So don't feel too bad.

Last edited by Jake Ok; 09-23-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:09 PM
MikeZ
Instructor

The really dumb thing was that I caught it when I first made contact with the door tracks while pulling out of the garage. I shifted into 1st to go forward, but I had actually put it back into reverse and did the final crunching.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:26 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeZ
The really dumb thing was that I caught it when I first made contact with the door tracks while pulling out of the garage. I shifted into 1st to go forward, but I had actually put it back into reverse and did the final crunching.
Ohhhh, double OUCH!!! Don't you just hate when something like happens?
Old 12-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Years ago, my brother (yes Tim, the one who's nuttier than me) was pushing (not driving) his absolutely pristine '73 911T out of his garage and left the driver's door wide open!! Well, the door caught the edge of the garage and bent back on the hinges, requiring a completely new door skin for repair, new hinges, etc. Cost him several thousand $$$ damage. Not to mention the humiliation. He kicked himself for a week over that one.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Years ago, my brother (yes Tim, the one who's nuttier than me) was pushing (not driving) his absolutely pristine '73 911T out of his garage and left the driver's door wide open!! Well, the door caught the edge of the garage and bent back on the hinges, requiring a completely new door skin for repair, new hinges, etc. Cost him several thousand $$$ damage. Not to mention the humiliation. He kicked himself for a week over that one.
Only a week? He IS nuttier than you!

Why was he pushing it out of the garage? Was he trying to "save the battery" or had it already sulfated?

Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
Only a week? He IS nuttier than you!

Why was he pushing it out of the garage? Was he trying to "save the battery" or had it already sulfated?

Who remembers - it was years ago. That car was driven less than my 996. He basically drove it to and from the trailer to enter it into Porsche Parades. You'll also be delighted to know that he's had an '08 Carrera S for around 4 months now - picked it up at Princeton Porsche and drove it back to CT which is over 200 milies. He now has only 540 miles on the car. So, I'm the crazy one, eh?? Think this affliction is genetic?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:26 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't feel bad, I did it with my grand cherokee when I first bought it. Luckily, it was only $70 dollars to buy a replacement mirror (they are heated) insert. I didn't have to replace the outer housing or motor.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:44 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I bought a used on on ebay for 100 bucks for 2 and it cost me 50 to have it painted. I still have the extra somewhere, but it would be a drivers side.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:37 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Phil G.
Who remembers - it was years ago. That car was driven less than my 996. He basically drove it to and from the trailer to enter it into Porsche Parades. You'll also be delighted to know that he's had an '08 Carrera S for around 4 months now - picked it up at Princeton Porsche and drove it back to CT which is over 200 milies. He now has only 540 miles on the car. So, I'm the crazy one, eh?? Think this affliction is genetic?
It's too bad your brother doesn't live closer to you. You guys could probably get a "two-fer" with your therapist!

BTW - speaking of your therapist, Dr. Shrinkmeister, he told me that he just bought a small, 6,000 sq. ft. weekend cottage in the Hamptons. He also signed up with Net Jets so they can spend most weekends there. Maybe your brother cound drive down on weekends (obviously not in the Porsche) to the Hamptons to meet with him. He asked me to see if you could pass that offer on to your brother.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by gota911
It's too bad your brother doesn't live closer to you. You guys could probably get a "two-fer" with your therapist!

BTW - speaking of your therapist, Dr. Shrinkmeister, he told me that he just bought a small, 6,000 sq. ft. weekend cottage in the Hamptons. He also signed up with Net Jets so they can spend most weekends there. Maybe your brother cound drive down on weekends (obviously not in the Porsche) to the Hamptons to meet with him. He asked me to see if you could pass that offer on to your brother.
Tim, the funniest part is that my brother is a psychiatrist. Really.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:30 PM
jcalhoun
Instructor

call the guys at www.oklahomaforeign.com they are a salvage yard for porsche and normally have a good selection.

Quick Reply: Side view mirror