Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Is it normal for a dealer to not let you test drive a car?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
The only time I use my MD title is when I want a good seat in a restaurant. And since the recession, I can usually have my choice of seats. Especially at Burger King, where I can afford to eat.
At BK's lounge do they bring your order to you then?
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
At BK's lounge do they bring your order to you then?
Only if I order a triple cheese Whopper. And a giant Pepsi. Otherwise, I've got to get up and get the damned food myself. Bummer.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Only if I order a triple cheese Whopper. And a giant Pepsi. Otherwise, I've got to get up and get the damned food myself. Bummer.

A slender guy like you on Whoppers?!?!
Old 12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't use MD when I introduce anymore. I did it once and when I explained that MD stood for Manic Depressive, they cut the job interview short. Go figure!
Old 12-07-2008, 05:16 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
I don't use MD when I introduce anymore. I did it once and when I explained that MD stood for Manic Depressive, they cut the job interview short. Go figure!

... I always thought that MD stood for Mucho Doody.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
That's just cuz you have a new baby at home!

Actually, I haven't had a Whopper at BK for over 20 years - never touch the stuff - it'll kill you. Dead. But, I do remember how good they taste ...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

That's just cuz you have a new baby at home!

Actually, I haven't had a Whopper at BK for over 20 years - never touch the stuff - it'll kill you. Dead. But, I do remember how good they taste ...

You aren't wrong there on either count.

...okay, so maybe it stands for mucho dinero.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 PM
dallison28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
nope, maryland
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
..............or deny test drives as they see fit.

Usually a shopper (and I use the term loosely in this case) is denied a test drive if the shopper looks well a bit of a bum, is dirty, stinks, is dressed real shabbily (see bum), drunk or under influence of something else, or comes across as a fake or insincere buyer.

Also, show up out of the blue with no vehicle but desiring a test drive and it will likely be denied...............
I went in to the local Porsche dealer in old shorts flip flops and a tee shirt driving my pickup truck. They let me do a test drive and I signed the deal on my Turbo. Its not always smart to prejudge. If they didnt let me take the car out they would have lost a cash sale
Old 12-07-2008, 11:29 PM
Al-x
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Introducing yourself as Dr. x is not going to help you get a higher level of service from any dealership. Flashing your high end watch and/or loafers is not going to help either. Typically the person who is going out of there way to announce their profession and assets are not capable of buying the car. With that being said prejudging any "up" is a danger to any salespersons wallet. Easiest way to get what you want from any dealer is be yourself and be genuine, you will be amazed how far that will get you.

One other thing I wanted to touch on. Currently there is a lot of talk of it now being a sellers market. This may be the case but currently we are making more money per unit than we have in the past, so remember we have to compensate somewhere
Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The people who are rich earn money and don't spend it.

Judging people by their watch/shoes/etc is foolish as some of the richest people in the world don't look it.

Marc
p.s. When people ask what it do, I say I work at the hospital. If they press further, I say I "biological technician"
Old 12-08-2008, 06:57 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 AM
LJpete
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's hit or miss. At certain dealerships, I've had to almost beg to get a salesman's attention whether it be at a Honda dealership or Audi/Porsche. The experiences, that I have that are positive, is where I already know the salesperson or have connections with the dealership.

I must exude the non money image and it's not like I dress up or down when I go in to a dealership. My attitude is if I don't get any attention, there are plenty of other places I can take my business. I'm fortunate enough to live in an area with no shortage of high end and normal car dealerships. I do usually follow up with a call to the sales manager to let them know why they lost the sale though.

Perfect case in point, I used to know a guy that worked at my local Porsche Audi dealership. I received the a-list treatment from him and his associates. Evidently, there was a turnover and whenever I go in to pickup something or just have a Porsche accessory impulse buy, the sales people couldn't careless if I stop to ogle the new 911. It doesn't matter if I drive my 911 to the dealership or wear my work clothes vs casual clothing. The real entertaining thing about the "new" people is that the showroom is deserted. It's not like they are doing massive amounts of business, you can hear crickets chirping in the showroom.

Rest assured, I won't buy from them unless something drastically changes,
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Al-x
Easiest way to get what you want from any dealer is be yourself and be genuine, you will be amazed how far that will get you.
I am reminded of something Bill Cosby once said:

I said to a guy, “Tell me, what is it about cocaine that makes it so wonderful?” And the guy said, “Well, it intensifies your personality.” And I said, “Yes, but what if you’re an @sshole?”
Old 12-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I think it really depends on the dealership / salesperson. Years ago, I went to Honda in my modified VW GTI. I only got halfway across the parking lot when a sales guy met me half way and asked what I wanted to see... I told him a S2000, and he went into the dealership and returned with the keys. When I got back he handed me a business card and told me to call if interested. At BMW that same day they offered to let me have the car for the weekend with a copy of my license and insurance.

When shopping for my P-car, I usually had to run to one of our local dealers during the work day, which meant I was wearing scrubs. I didn't want it to look cliche (too late), but also thought it ridiculous to change clothes just so my car salesperson wouldnt get the rubbed the wrong way. THe reception was luke warm at best.

I think the best bet is to have some knowledge of the car, and it competitors (they always ask what else you are looking at.) I never talk money on the first visit, but also never test drive unless Im serious about buying.

Quick Reply: Is it normal for a dealer to not let you test drive a car?