996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LWFW Advice Needed...My Clutch is Toast

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Jyoteen, WOW...thank you very much for taking the time to give me a detailed price list. That really helps a lot. I guess the quote I got for $2,904 on the LWFW installation was pretty good. You also gave me something else to check into. Do you worry about the intermediate shaft if it isn't leaking?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:50 PM
racing97
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some owners have used the spring hub to reduce noise and a little harshness also solid motor or trans mounts can have a significant effect on NVH for street use. As a side note there has not been an issue with balance and or premature wear of any engine or driveline components where a front balancer would be required, there are probably 750 Aasco units on the road. That being said it probably is not for everybody . I think the replacement of the dual mass units on the GT3's by some of the dealers and perhaps the change in rotating mass and the resultant adapation needed by a driver used to the old MOI has stirred the nest a bit.
regards

Last edited by racing97; 11-25-2008 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the AASCO LWFW and have "Spec Clutch" make you a upgraded but spring loaded clutch which will eliminate the vibration/noise. No snake oil.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
racing97
Banned

Clutch Masters (Luis Gomez) is another good source for a clutch Disc
Old 11-26-2008, 02:47 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Racing 97 and Paul, thanks for the information guys. I had read that the correct clutch would significantly reduce or eliminate the noise issue. I don't mind having to replace a part on my car if I can upgrade to something that makes it perform or look better.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Mark, IIRC.... TRG makes an awesome clutch/LWFW combo... pricey in the $4k range. Race proven and no chatter as well... GL with your decision.

When is the aerokit gonna get mounted???
Old 11-26-2008, 11:53 AM
9NINE6
Instructor

http://www.ultrarev.com/product.php?productid=27606

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/aasco-m-445.html

I have this combo and I have no regrets
Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
vwrado
Instructor

Just to add to the experience list. I have an Aasco lwfw with the factory clutch. Engine revs a lot faster than stock and also rpms will drop very fast. At first I would stall a lot due to the rpm dropping so fast but I have gotten used to it. Chatter is definetly there and is noticable when AC is on while at idle. If you press down the clutch, the chatter goes away. The noise does not bother me much because I can only hear it if I am parked next to a wall or in a parking structure. In normal street driving, I can hardly hear it at all. no regrets here.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:58 AM
vwrado
Instructor

Just to add to the experience list. I have an Aasco lwfw with the factory clutch. Engine revs a lot faster than stock and also rpms will drop very fast. At first I would stall a lot due to the rpm dropping so fast but I have gotten used to it. Chatter is definetly there and is noticable when AC is on while at idle. If you press down the clutch, the chatter goes away. The noise does not bother me much because I can only hear it if I am parked next to a wall or in a parking structure. In normal street driving, I can hardly hear it at all. no regrets here.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:43 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you don't use a sprung disc, you may be putting your shafts at increased risks of failure.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:30 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Who here has put in a LWFW and a sprung-hub clutch like those form Spec or Clutch Masters? I think there could be a significant difference between the two scenarios.

I drove a Cayman S with a LWFW and the stock (unsprung) clutch, and there are two distinct noises:

1) At idle, in neutral with clutch out, there is a very light chatter which is barely audible and would not bother me nor worry me too much.

2) At around 2500-3000 under moderate or higher load, there is a pronounced (MUCH louder) noise that sounds harmonic-induced. It seems almost as if there are enough tolerances (lash?) in the gears to absorb some vibration, but when that is used up, you get what was referred to as "sizzle". The noise is almost like an on/off switch and only happens in that RPM range and under load.

I am much more concerned about this latter noise and its long-term effects on the engine/transmission. Of course, people then "avoid" that range, but I'm hoping a sprung-hub clutch is the better solution.

It would be interesting if the failures referenced are with our without a sprung-hub clutch. I have always heard that you should go with a sprung-hub clutch if you are eliminating the dual-mass flywheel and am surprised to see a lot of folks using the stock clutch.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:26 PM
SMR996
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by arenared
2) At around 2500-3000 under moderate or higher load, there is a pronounced (MUCH louder) noise that sounds harmonic-induced. It seems almost as if there are enough tolerances (lash?) in the gears to absorb some vibration, but when that is used up, you get what was referred to as "sizzle". The noise is almost like an on/off switch and only happens in that RPM range and under .
The "sizzle" you refer to is correct... and a very good description of the sound the LWFW makes when under load or no load at higher RPM's (4k to 6k). I notice this sound while driving much more than the rattle/chatter at idle when the clutch is out....

5,000 miles on this set up and no driveline issues yet... (knocking on wood again)

Again, this mod is probably not for everyone but if the car is tracked frequently and excellent upgrade...

Cheers
Old 11-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Redridge, I'm sure TRG's setup is great, but that's a little steep for me...it's over double the AAsco/Spec combination that I'm leaning toward. What are you using with the SC? I took your advice and I'm enjoying the car as-is for a while. This will definately put a serious dent in the mod budget. It is going to cost me $2,000 to have the aero kit painted. I'm also going to have the hood and fenders (tops) repainted to get rid of any rock chips.

9nine6, that sounds like the right combo for me also. How is the noise with that clutch?

vwrado, thanks for the information.

99porsche911, I plan on using a spring type clutch, thanks. Are you using a LWFW with the SC?

Arenared, The spring hub clutch sounds like the way to go. Thanks.

SMR996, I appreciate benefiting from your experience. I am yet to hear from anyone who has the LWFW and does not recommend it.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Quick Reply: LWFW Advice Needed...My Clutch is Toast