Sponsored by:

996 Nokia Amp / Door Woofers / Need Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 06:45 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 996 Nokia Amp / Door Woofers / Need Diagram

Does anyone have a diagram or schematic that identifies each speaker wire for the Nokia amp on a 1999 996 with the hifi option (door woofers)?

I've rewired and replaced the front and back speakers, but want to just run the door woofers crossed over from my 6 channel amp to see if I like it, before pulling off the door panels, replacing the factory woofers, and running new wire through the door. It would be much easier to tap into the woofer wires at the stock amp location...

Thanks in advance.
Brian
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Well, I didn't have a diagram, but I took a "C" battery and took turns running positive/negative combinations across the heavier duty wiring loom (it's got the big blue connector to the amp) until I heard static in the doors (all the other speaker wires had been disconnected/replaced).

For future reference for anyone who is in a similar situation: The green and green/brown are one side and purple and purple/brown are the other side. I believe they are 2 ohms each, so I ran them in series (the green and purple/brown to the amp, the green/brown and purple jumpered together) so the amp would see 4 ohms. I have a 6 channel amp with channels 5 and 6 bridged. My equalizer has a subwoofer out and level control; I'm running the door speakers as a mono subwoofer channel.

The sound is surprisingly good, rich and full for the Nokia factory woofers. I used 2-way MB Quart 4" speakers in the dash and rear quarters. The amp is a 6 channel JL. I purchased a set of MB Quart 5.25" speakers for the door, but I'm going to return or sell them. Not needed, IMO.

All this because the stupid Becker cd player started to skip...but the change is very noticable. I used a Kenwood Excelon head unit with a USB cable input--I love being able to plug in a flash drive--no skips, and lots of capacity.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:12 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the middle of replying to your initial post when I saw that you already figured it out. Your assumtion below is correct, the 2 speakers are 2 ohm. I connected mine exactly the way that you described. I haven't changed out the factory speakers yet. For what its worth, here are the factory wire colors for my '99 C2 Cabriolet:
Fronts:
Rightside + Red & - Red/Brown
leftside: + Yellow & - Yellow/Brown

Rears:
Rightside: + Blue & - Blue/Brown
Leftside: + White & - white/brown

Doors:
Leftside: + Green & - Green/Brown
Rightside: + Purple & - Purple/Brown
Attached Images  
Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 PM
bd0nalds0n
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for filling in the blanks...I'm sure it will come in handy for someone in the future!
Old 07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
silvermilnec
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but wonder if you guys are around if you could give some advice.

I've got a y200 c2 with the audio upgrade.

I changed the front to MB quart comps and MB Quart coax in the rear they are running from the original amp but seem under powered and still havn;t achieved what i'm looking for.
Do you think changing the amp is the next step. do i need to cut all the wires going into the amp or is there an adaptor available for this.

Thanks for any help
Old 07-26-2009, 04:35 AM
mikeshaver
Intermediate

I cut the plug off of my factory amp, taped it back to the wiring loom so I wouldn't lose it if I ever needed it down the road. Just leave enough wire on the factory connector so you can reconnect.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:19 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

I think the biggest gains are to be had by replacing the factory speakers and stock amp. Take the opportunity to add a real sub-woofer and you'll hear a remarkable difference in sound quality. I leveraged all existing factory speaker wires in place to minimize effort.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:50 PM
9962FAST4911
1st Gear

WHAT COLOR JACK WHITE OR BLACK?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:45 PM
usmarine1
1st Gear

You just made my life easier...thanks!!
Old 01-02-2012, 02:19 AM
gu9cci
Advanced

The oem speakers and amp are complete garbage!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:06 PM
michollock
Advanced

Does this mean you would need a six channel amp to run the factory hi fi systems? I was thinking of using 4 inch coax in dash and then a 5/25 component mid in doors as midbass, and then leaving rear speaker stock.

Thank you
Old 04-22-2021, 10:51 PM
Brehas
3rd Gear

Default Pretty sure that’s my car

I know this thread is ancient but the picture of the amp came up on a google image search. I just bought this car from a guy in Nashville via BaT. Small world!

Originally Posted by kas930
I was in the middle of replying to your initial post when I saw that you already figured it out. Your assumtion below is correct, the 2 speakers are 2 ohm. I connected mine exactly the way that you described. I haven't changed out the factory speakers yet. For what its worth, here are the factory wire colors for my '99 C2 Cabriolet:
Fronts:
Rightside + Red & - Red/Brown
leftside: + Yellow & - Yellow/Brown

Rears:
Rightside: + Blue & - Blue/Brown
Leftside: + White & - white/brown

Doors:
Leftside: + Green & - Green/Brown
Rightside: + Purple & - Purple/Brown

Quick Reply: 996 Nokia Amp / Door Woofers / Need Diagram