Sponsored by:

Topping off coolant

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 09:56 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Topping off coolant

Apologies if this has been covered, I searched but did not find info on - my coolant level is just an inch or so below the MIN line in the spare coolant tank. This level was reached after 6 months of driving 6k miles. Does a slight drop like this over 6 months represent a leak to worry about?

The manual is somewhat vague in terms of what to add to it but suggests adding a mix of Porsche approved antifreeze + water.

Would this be the right antifreeze:
http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/?...294965146+6052

Pentosin Coolant/Antifreeze
1999-2007 Porsche 911
1 Gallon 1 Gallon Size Container New Color Pink/Red, completely compatible with older version coolant. 12 Per Case

Has anyone topped off - is it critical to mix with water or can you add the product directly for minor topping off?

Because its inexpensive, I was also mulling getting a new cap to see if it would retain coolant level over the next 6 months more so...

Anyways, any recommended info to fill up coolant?

thanks,
John
Old 11-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

I had the expansion tank replaced because it leaked. Some times weeks went by without any lost of fluid and then suddenly it happened again. For no obvious reason. After replacing the tank the problem was gone.

At the dealership they literally topped the tank. Completely full, up to its edges. They said the extra fluid will come out, having too much of it is not a problem. Having too little of it obviously is. The OES fluid is exactly what I use.

I was adviced that original Porsche coolant should only be used. Mix it with water 50/50. Porsche coolant was not much more expensive than autostore brands.

I was also adviced rather to add only water than raw coolant fluid.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 AM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

I usually fill it up with distilled water. If it's just 2-3 oz, it doesn't really change the mixture or freezing point of the coolant in the system.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
bdiamond001
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently added water, when coolant light came on unexpectedly. Just ran the hose right in. Car runs fine as weather is still above freezing. I was hoping to just add Porsche coolant and check specific gravity.

Quick Reply: Topping off coolant