996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

FS: 1999 PORSCHE CARRERA **RARE COLOR** 50K MILES asking $26,950

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, but he did seem real to me, and the car was beside a military chopper. I guess that could have been fake, the blue console does look weird
Old 11-09-2008, 06:08 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

It never hurts to be skeptical, and rules are rules; it reads like any other Car FS scam I've seen. You can look at his other auctions as well via the eBay link posted.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of you guys are incredible jagoffs. This soldier posts a for sale because he's being deployed including a phone number - a freakin scammer will not do that. Then you beat on him for no membership and the conspiracies about the color of the console. For God's sake - the console is at a different angle than the dash and caught the light differently.

ArmyPorsche - I'd love to pay your membership fee to Rennlist to make these guys feel better about your ad. Please email me at mark@markwilson.net and let me know how I can do so. Thank you for serving my country and please be safe over there.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:29 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
Some of you guys are incredible jagoffs. This soldier posts a for sale because he's being deployed including a phone number - a freakin scammer will not do that. Then you beat on him for no membership and the conspiracies about the color of the console. For God's sake - the console is at a different angle than the dash and caught the light differently.

ArmyPorsche - I'd love to pay your membership fee to Rennlist to make these guys feel better about your ad. Please email me at mark@markwilson.net and let me know how I can do so. Thank you for serving my country and please be safe over there.
+10
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 AM
KelvinC
Burning Brakes

Received 862 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
And why does the car have a blue center console, plus gray or blue floormats on a Forrest Green Metallic car? Is it horrible taste, or perhaps a different car?
It's probably the lighting. The center console, and some dash and door sill pieces on the 99s came in a textured dark grey plastic, but could look blue depending on the lighting. To the touch the surface had much more "tooth" to it in comparison to the smoother black plastic that came on future Carreras.

IMO the grey plastic that was used was much nicer than the black plastic of future models. But unfortunately, this was also coupled by the use of a strange basketball-texture surfaces. Overall, the 99s just had a lot of strange textures used in the cabin. Gotta love the full leather though.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Wilson
This soldier posts a for sale because he's being deployed including a phone number - a freakin scammer will not do that.

Actually, you are incorrect. I read about a story last week with a Toyota, where the prospective purchaser did all the right things in terms of talking with the seller, etc. It was still a scam and she still lost her money when the car didn't show up as promised.

It's easy to be caught up with emotion, but the reality is that scammers are out there using this ruse and the foolish, or unaware, are easily separated from their money.

I did not say that this post was a scam, I just flagged that it was the same routine currently being used by scammers.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Google the phone number, judge for yourself. The helicopter is a static display, also note the rocket fins too the left, also a static display.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:17 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TRT41
Google the phone number, judge for yourself. The helicopter is a static display, also note the rocket fins too the left, also a static display.
Good catch on the static display. If you look closely, that does not appear to be a real flight line at a military base.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rules? Who needs rules? AIG maybe??
If it was a real ad by a real military man, he would be glad to follow the rules.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pat056
Rules? Who needs rules? AIG maybe??
If it was a real ad by a real military man, he would be glad to follow the rules.
and he also has a MB 320 for sale.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

...okay, so I got even more curious.

In one of the ads that came up on a google search of the phone number had an email address.

If you google the email address you see that this guy sells a lot of cars with a variety reasons as to why he's selling.

He has sold everything from Buicks to Ferraris. I was particularly impressed with this ad.

http://www.ferrarilife.com/classified/view.php?id=442

This one says that he owns an antique store (dated 10/21/08)

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/cto/888345512.html

... it's interesting that as an army officer he can afford to buy and trade a ferrari and offer financing.

At the very least this is some that is trading a lot of cars.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 11-11-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Mark Wilson
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post2115927

This place is worse than an old beauty shop

Quick Reply: FS: 1999 PORSCHE CARRERA **RARE COLOR** 50K MILES asking $26,950