Sponsored by:

Diappearing Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Has anything been done to the car that could let air into the coolant system? Maybe a radiator replacement, or broken hose that was repaired? Once air is in the system it will do exactly what you describe until you vent all of it.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:25 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thorin
UPDATE

So after another week of driving I checked it again - all the coolant is still there... last week it drank a full bottle, this week nothing - what gives!?

Checked the oil and cap - both seem fine, no weird colours or stains, just plain old oil.

Checked the coolant cap - nothing to report there, but i was surprised how under pressure it was. some coolant shot out of it when i opened it (kind of like a pressure cooker would). i just checked it again and i could hear a very low hiss as if it was still under pressure. so i took the cap off and put it on again, but didn't apply superman pressure this time and the hiss went away. so now i'm not sure if i should be really giving it the full beans when i put the cap back on or not. when i supertighten it i hear a hiss, but maybe it needs to be that tight to prevent leaking? any thoughts guys?

on a sunday morning, when i find that perfect twisty road, this car is pure bliss, but as a daily driver its pretty brutal. and given how everytime some minor issue pops up, there is a chance that the engine needs replacing. i can't live with that kind of stress from a car i need to use everyday.

so i'm thinking about trading her in for something else.... please talk me out of it...
Get a NEW replacement coolant cap - your cap may not be venting correctly - you'd not see anything, but it could give you the symptoms you've seen.

$20 or so - best place to start
Old 10-31-2008, 10:31 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

When I put a considerable amount of coolant back in the tank I open the bleed valve and take it out for a nice drive. Ive never had any problems with the suggested method.. as Loren suggests:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...hl=bleed+valve

I doubt you really lost all the coolant.
Depending on his method it may have worked just as well as the vacuum draw method.
When I did my 3rd radiator install I caught the coolant in a bucket and then re-used it. I lost a little and had to add a 3 or 4 quarts for the new radiator. So I added in what I could, then opened the bleed valve and ran the engine. After the car got warmed up and shut it off and waited for it to cool. Then I added more coolant (to the full level). I repeated that process a couple more times.
Then I drive the car with the bleed valve for about two weeks (don't worry about that Cup Cars do it all the time). I added a little more coolant ever few days until it stopped needing any. Since I have no overheating even at 100 degree plus temps I think there is little or no air in my engine.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 AM
Guybrush Wilkinson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think you are a bit over reacting about this. I had the tank and the cap replaced, that was not a big deal, and since then everything has been fine. My friend has every now and then some coolant disappearing and also appearing sometimes on his 996. Take into account that how the car is levelled has a great effect on coolant level. I noticed this when I had a leaking tank and the tank seemed to be completely empty. I drove to get some coolant fluid, the car worked just fine even though there was absolutely no fluid in the container. When I started adding fluid I noticed that the container is more than 1/3 full before pouring a drop of fluid into it.

These coolant problems seem to be very common with these cars and I wouldnt stress out too much about it. As long as coolant and oil run where they are supposed to run, without mixing with each other and as long as the engine temp stays normal, everything is fine.

I would have the coolant container cap changed. I also tighten the cap quite tight everytime. Keep a bottle of water (or fluid) in the trunk just in case.

By the way, when I had my tank replaced at the Auto Carrera (local Porsche Centrum), they topped the tank completely full. I asked about this and they said the excess fluid will come out, having the tank topped is not dangerous. I guess they topped it in case there were air trapped and the level would go down by itself.

Quick Reply: Diappearing Coolant