Cleaning of the radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cleaning of the radiator

Recently I noticed that my 996 coolant temperature is hitting around 215 degrees when stuck in traffic but once the car is moving again the temperature doesn't seem to come down at all even after 10 minutes. Prior to this the normal driving temp was at around 193, stuck in traffic was around 210 but as soon as the car was moving again the temp will drop to 193 quickly.

So I deciede to take the front bumper off and see if there are any blockage. The 996 front bumper was amazingly easy to take off, didn't even need to remove the front wheels. Once the bumper was off I also took off the radiator plastic shroud and then the A/C condensor. (Leaving the hose connected)

I couldn't believe the amount of debris that was in there in front and behind the A/C condensor. A quick vaccum with the shop vac and high pressure washer did the trick. She is running nice and cool again!

I guess this is what happens after 90k miles!

So in case you've noticed your coolant temp staying high, check your radiators!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

I cleaned out my radiators last summer. Its the caked mud on your radiators that is not allowing air to pass through freely. There really is not a good way to clean it except removing the bumper.

I have also found leaves and paper debris which will block the air flow inside of the bumper that needs regular cleaning.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:00 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Placing foam along all sides between the radiator and condensor before bolting the radiator back on, eliminates necessity of future cleaning. Foam used for window A/C is perfect.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:08 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this last August after I cleaned mine, it's still intact today, and has made a big difference. The only stuff I see when I peek in are small sand/pebbles/debris, but overall, I'd say it's pretty clean in there ever since.
Check it out, it's a pretty siimple DIY: http://euroautoforums.com/forums/ind...showtopic=1371

Quick Reply: Cleaning of the radiator