All season tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All season tires

Hi,
I am considering buying all season tires for my C4S which is a daily drivers and is not intended to run on the track.
I heard only negatives about these tires (goodyear eagle F1 A/S) - and I was wondering why. It's not like I am driving on the autobahn and cornering every turns at 80mph+
Thanks for your feedback on what I think is a good compromise
Old 10-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Compromise- that's the problem. It's the worst of both worlds. Mediocre handling for your high performance automobile in the summer and poor foul weather traction in the winter. I'm wondering why you want them so much.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:43 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

well... I busted 1 tire off my summer tires and I need to change the whole set (the guy won't change just 1 given that it's a AWD)... and I need to buy a winter set
hence I am looking at $2500 for both + I have limited space to store them... hence the compromise
Old 10-13-2008, 03:52 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Find a new tire guy
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

can I have front tires different from the back tires on a 4S
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Which tire is bad? What condition are the other three? Tread depth? I'm wondering why he says you need to replace all four.
I lived on the South Shore for awhile and I think you'd benefit from having two sets of dedicated wheels/tires for a couple reasons. Better performance winter and summer. Longer life from the more expensive summer rubber since it's only on the car 2/3 of the time. I actually switch from 18" in summer to 17" in winter. Taller narrower tires cut through snow better.
You could probably store your winter set at the dealer or indy. I know that's pretty common. Or you could just try the A/S and see how they work for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rivarama
can I have front tires different from the back tires on a 4S
I think most people go through 2 sets of rear for each set of fronts.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Rivarama
Advanced

My tires still have about 75% thread...
I currentl have bridgestones right now (front & rear). The other option would be to get a set of winter tires and just change the rear tires on the summer with Sumimoto - if they're any good
Old 10-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

There is no reason you can't replace 1 if they still have roughly 75% tread left. If nothing else just replace the 2 rear (or front?) of which 1 is busted, keep the good tire, and then when they reach 75% tread you have a perfectly matched spare to rotate in on occasion.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaspasser19
Compromise- that's the problem. It's the worst of both worlds. Mediocre handling for your high performance automobile in the summer and poor foul weather traction in the winter. I'm wondering why you want them so much.
+1

Why put half-assed tires on your high performance Porsche? You may as well just put in 87 octane gas in the car. After all it's a daily driver and not intended to run at the track (It's not like you're driving on the autobahn), so why bother trying to make peak HP?

Why not go for the cheap oil too? After all it sounds like you rarely run it up to redline on the street, so why not save a few more bucks?

Or, here's a thought. Why don't you use summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter. They may provide just the edge you need to avoid an accident that could prove to be far more costly than a set of tires.

Here is a possible solution:

If your other tires are worn beyond a 5% difference in radius, the Tire Rack can shave one tire for you. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=46

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=136&
Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

That Tirerack link is informative. Sounds like you could just replace one tire if the others are truly at 75%. Might be a good time to measure tread depth on that other rear tire.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Steven B
Racer

I had a set of all-seasons on my '89 C-4. Handling was bad in the summer and poor in the winter. They are, to be sure, better than summer tires when the snow falls, but I found that they were still scary in the snow. Go for 1 replacement summer and 4 snows - you will wear out each set half as fast!!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Even if your car wasn't awd, tire shaving is good to consider to match a new tire to a partially worn "sibling." Some tire shops try to sell tire shaving with every set, arguing that they can get your tires really "round" by shaving off the high spots to match the lowest spot on the tire. This has largely been unnecessary. But shaving to match a new tire to one that is already worn is appropriate and less expensive than replacing the pair.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:20 PM
gregorycarl
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
+1

Why put half-assed tires on your high performance Porsche? You may as well just put in 87 octane gas in the car. After all it's a daily driver and not intended to run at the track (It's not like you're driving on the autobahn), so why bother trying to make peak HP?

Why not go for the cheap oil too? After all it sounds like you rarely run it up to redline on the street, so why not save a few more bucks?

Or, here's a thought. Why don't you use summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter. They may provide just the edge you need to avoid an accident that could prove to be far more costly than a set of tires.

Here is a possible solution:

If your other tires are worn beyond a 5% difference in radius, the Tire Rack can shave one tire for you. Here is a link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=46

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...sp?techid=136&
Bad day?
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gregorycarl
Bad day?

Nah, if you want a "bad day" take your Porsche out in the snow on "all seasons" and report back.

Quick Reply: All season tires