Sponsored by:

Sunroof rocker switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 09:12 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Sunroof rocker switch problem

Guys, the sunroof rocker switch on my 2000 Carrera has popped slightly up and out of its mount. The switch works fine but is obviously out of position now. I'm wondering how tough it is to remove the little overhead panel that the switch is located in (along with the reading light, etc) so I can get in there and re-seat the rocker switch. Is it a job left to the pros with the proper tools or is it a DIY job?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 PM
bgrpph
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

02 996 coupe- the clip on my switch broke had to use weld bond stuff to keep it in place- pry out the two sensor eyes with small eyeglass screwdriver- you'll see two torx screws - take these out and entire housing can be pulled out- very easy- if switch just popped out you can put it back in- my clips broke so had to improvise. hope this helps
Old 10-12-2008, 11:07 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

Thank you very much. I'm flying a trip right now, so it'll be a day or two before I can tackle this, but you've described a very easy job. Thanks again.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:52 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

I brought my car in today to do the cats (CEL finally came on) and to replace a window that was broken by a garage attendant (whole 'nother story) and asked them to look at my loose sunroof switch while they were in there.

They tell me the panel it mounts to is broken: $130 parts&labor.

I'll be going the DIY route when I get the car back, will report back.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:24 PM
450knotOffice
Racer

I just finished the job. It took all of ten minutes. In the early 996's anyway, once you use a small screwdriver to carefully pry off the smoked plastic lenses, you'll be presented with two regular Philips head screws. Remove those two screws and then carefully but firmly pull the aft end of the panel straight down until it unclips from the roof. It requires a pretty firm pull to unclip the panel. Once it's unclipped, it'll pivot down freely, exposing the switch and everything else. The switch is held firmly in place by four plastic permanent hook type clips molded into the panel itself. These little hook type clips are very flimsy and in my car's case, two of them on one side broke right at the hook. However, I was able to snap the switch back into place and the remaining clips grabbed onto it reasonably tightly - tightly enough that I think the switch will remain in place permanently, as long as I don't carelessly jab hard at the switch.

I put it all back together and was done in no more than ten minutes - start to finish.

Quick Reply: Sunroof rocker switch problem