Sponsored by:

Seafoam Issue or Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Melchior
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam Issue or Oil Change

My car starts normal in the morning but when I drive off, the car hesitates for the first 50yds or so and then operates normally until I shut the car down and let the engine get cold again. I am trying to find out what I may have done to the engine this weekend.

I did two things on the same day.

1) Put Seafoam in my engine using the vacuum line off of the brake booster; used about half of the bottle. I waited the 20min soak time and started the car. The car had the normal white smoke come out of the exhaust but only the left exhaust pipe. On the bottle it says to make sure all cylinders are treated at the same time. Is this causing the problem? or.....
2) After I did the Seafoam treatment, I changed the engine oil and the filter. After I drained all the old oil out, I noticed that I only had 6 quartz of 5W50 synthetic. So I went to the store to get more oil, however all that they had was 15W50 synthetic so bought 2 quartz of that and added it to the 6 quartz of the 5W50 that I had.

Which if any of these may be causing my cold engine hestitation?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:33 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you used the booster vacuum connection then you only got seafoam to the left bank. I bet smoke only came out the right tailpipe? You should use a vacuum line connected to the throttlebody.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:06 PM
Melchior
Pro

I made the mistake of following the procedure that someone listed on this site and they also used the brake booster hose. I have a C4 and there doesn't seem to be a vacuum line off of the throttle body that I can use. I did find that Seafoam makes a spray version of their product and I may try using it to maybe rectify the problem if it is indeed the cause. I will remove the Mass Airflow Sensor and spray the Seafoam directly in the hole unless someone out there thinks that I will make my issue worse.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you affix the connection back correctly on the plenum? Maybe a vacuum leak, that would explain the hesitation and stumbling.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Melchior
Pro

Tippy, I thought the same thing and double-checked my work. It is strange that this only happens when the engine is cold. After the engine warms up, everything is fine. That is why I am wondering if the heavier weight oil that I used to top off the engine is my root cause.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:05 PM
split
4th Gear

Question

i want to seafoam my2002 c2 this evening, where is the vacuum line that leads to the throttle body?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
beentherebaby
Racer

The heavier viscosity oil would not cause the problem.

Quick Reply: Seafoam Issue or Oil Change