Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Charlotte area owneres, where are you finding 93 octaine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Charlotte area owneres, where are you finding 93 octaine?

This is getting ridiculous. edit: octane, sorry.

And yes, I know you can run 87 for a tank or two, but has anyone in or near Charlotte found 93? I'd drive a few miles to find it if necessary.

TIA

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 09-29-2008, 01:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

That's odd Eric. I haven't had a problem at all filling up my cars here in Raleigh. Wonder why y'all in Charlotte are having more problems that we are just 2 hrs away.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here's the rub:

Charlotte, Asheville, Spartanburg, Greenville and Atlanta get their gas from the Colonial Pipeline from Houston.

Cities east, including Greensboro, Raleigh, Wilmington, get their gas from water-bound tankers at port in Wilmington.

The Wilmington flow is strong still.

The Charlotte flow is weak, at best, a trickle. The main depot here is getting some fuel, but the tankers arrive, and the lines begin. Was out this morning and noticed a tanker arriving near my office. The line formed before the guy put pipes in the ground. The line is about 20 cars deep in two directions, and still there at 1pm. Another station 3 blocks away has no gas, and has had none in 12 days.

It's all over Charlotte. The lines form, and you just sit and pray they don't run out. You can get $30-$40 at a time, and 87 octane only. I have 3 vehicles that 'prefer' 93 octane, and all are at least half full. We don't top off either. Drive till 1/4 tank, then pray.

I drove 20 minutes to Ft Mill on Thursday to get my kid some 87 in his CRV so he can drive to school. Spent two hours to get gas for my daughter heading back to college, Saturday, got $30 and she made it back. She said Chapel Hill had plenty.

On top of all this, the freaking media circus of all the stations reporting on the shortage, the Mayor saying calm down, don't top off, it will be fine in two days, then it's not fine, and people panic, and the hysteria that comes with it, and you've got an idea of what this is like. There are not enough tankers here, and not enough fuel.

About 2 of every 10 stations I pass has gas, and any with gas won't have it for long.

The real problem is that people are running out, and cannot get to work. The fiasco is front line news here, and the biggest gripe I have is this:

The DOE and the pipeline distribution folks ALL KNEW this problem when Katrina hit. Now Ike takes out refinery prime time, and this pipeline goes dry. And we have about a million people in just Charlotte, add to that the other cities, and you wonder why in the hell they didn't figure this out before this happened again, and find alternative suppliers back-to-back with deliveries every couple of days, and this would go away.

It is one freaking mess here. I'll be parking the Porsche soon, and driving other vehicles.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:24 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's funny is, I saw a report on the news just after IKE hit stating there was nothing wrong with the refineries, however, now all of a sudden "they" claim the opposite.

There is a BP near me that is out of gas and has been closed since I returned from Atlanta on Friday.

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Here's the rub:

Charlotte, Asheville, Spartanburg, Greenville and Atlanta get their gas from the Colonial Pipeline from Houston.

Cities east, including Greensboro, Raleigh, Wilmington, get their gas from water-bound tankers at port in Wilmington.

The Wilmington flow is strong still.

The Charlotte flow is weak, at best, a trickle. The main depot here is getting some fuel, but the tankers arrive, and the lines begin. Was out this morning and noticed a tanker arriving near my office. The line formed before the guy put pipes in the ground. The line is about 20 cars deep in two directions, and still there at 1pm. Another station 3 blocks away has no gas, and has had none in 12 days.

It's all over Charlotte. The lines form, and you just sit and pray they don't run out. You can get $30-$40 at a time, and 87 octane only. I have 3 vehicles that 'prefer' 93 octane, and all are at least half full. We don't top off either. Drive till 1/4 tank, then pray.

I drove 20 minutes to Ft Mill on Thursday to get my kid some 87 in his CRV so he can drive to school. Spent two hours to get gas for my daughter heading back to college, Saturday, got $30 and she made it back. She said Chapel Hill had plenty.

On top of all this, the freaking media circus of all the stations reporting on the shortage, the Mayor saying calm down, don't top off, it will be fine in two days, then it's not fine, and people panic, and the hysteria that comes with it, and you've got an idea of what this is like. There are not enough tankers here, and not enough fuel.

About 2 of every 10 stations I pass has gas, and any with gas won't have it for long.

The real problem is that people are running out, and cannot get to work. The fiasco is front line news here, and the biggest gripe I have is this:

The DOE and the pipeline distribution folks ALL KNEW this problem when Katrina hit. Now Ike takes out refinery prime time, and this pipeline goes dry. And we have about a million people in just Charlotte, add to that the other cities, and you wonder why in the hell they didn't figure this out before this happened again, and find alternative suppliers back-to-back with deliveries every couple of days, and this would go away.

It is one freaking mess here. I'll be parking the Porsche soon, and driving other vehicles.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Amazing that just 2 hours away here in the triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) have plenty but our Queen City brothers just down 85 have nothing.

I will definitely be filling up this week to the top and then filling the jugs before I head to CMP this weekend.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell, where are you finding 93? I am having a hard time; would prefer shell. I live off creedmore rode, between 540 and 440
Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

There is a BP and a Shell by my house in Cary that I have filled up at both with 93 in the past week. I have intentionally driven less lately so I don't plan on filling anytime soon. Especially with 5 cars
Old 09-29-2008, 06:51 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
What's funny is, I saw a report on the news just after IKE hit stating there was nothing wrong with the refineries, however, now all of a sudden "they" claim the opposite.

There is a BP near me that is out of gas and has been closed since I returned from Atlanta on Friday.
They had to shut down the refineries prior to IKE's arrival. Before they could re-open the refineries, they had inspect the refineries after IKE passed through to ensure there was no damage. So there was an interuption in the supply chain.

My daughter, still int eh Charlotte area, and mentioned this situation a couple of times in the past 4 to 5 days.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:20 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, I see. How long was the shutdown?

Originally Posted by gota911
They had to shut down the refineries prior to IKE's arrival. Before they could re-open the refineries, they had inspect the refineries after IKE passed through to ensure there was no damage. So there was an interuption in the supply chain.

My daughter, still int eh Charlotte area, and mentioned this situation a couple of times in the past 4 to 5 days.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 PM
SC996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, it's not any better in Rock Hill. There are 6 stations between my house and I-77. We were 0 for 6 this morning for gas period. We have not had any premium for over three weeks. Mine has been sitting at home on a quarter tank since this mess started.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I wrote the Mayor, the Governor, the soon-to-be Lt Gov (a friend), and other officials today. No reply yet.

I'm mad as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:42 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Oh, I see. How long was the shutdown?
I believe it was 4 to 5 days.

Quick Reply: Charlotte area owneres, where are you finding 93 octaine?