Sponsored by:

Regular gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:38 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
in a way that lets the dealer know the car was not filled with proper grade of gasoline and this was a regular (no pun intended) action on your part.

This could be construed as damage just like body damage with the end result is the vehicle's residual value being lowered and you having to come up with the difference.

Also, that you posted this info here and if the dealer/lease company decided to google for any posts by you and sift through looking for indications of vehicle odometer tampering (which is quite common with leased vehicles (though I'm sure you'd never consider tampering) but instead came up this post by you admiting you fed the vehicle the wrong grade of gas, your actions if you didn't admit to them when you turn the vehicle back in could be construed as an attempt to defraud.I am not a lawyer but you should be aware of the possible risk to you arising from your action regarding fueling your lease vehicle wtih the wrong grade of gasoline.

As lease companies deal with falling residual values they are looking to defray these or receive compensation from lease vehicle leasees.

Sincerely,

Macster.
WHATEVER...... a lease company checking the residual value against the octane your filling up with and using google to find out statements you have written on a forum?? Stop reading the fantastic 4 novels....stop smoking the crack pipe and get real......big brother is not watching you or me.....start living...yes you can search the internet for **** (if you don't want your boyfriend to find out....use the privacy setting).....just don't search for illegal **** and it is okay!! some people are just tooooo much!!!

Last edited by Nicolaasdb; 09-28-2008 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:50 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in Atlanta all last week, I was shocked to see those folks lined up at 10pm just to get gas.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by insite
don't bother w/ octane boost; in order for it to actually make a difference, you need literally gallons of it.
not necessarily true.

Torco fuel accelerator provides a very noticeable octane increase. 32oz in the standard gas tank should provide 2 or 3 full points of octane increase.

The off the shelf stuff at Autozone is useless though.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
In a pinch, if premium in short supply, or even no supply, 87 octane better than nothing but feeding these engines a regular diet of regular is just silly.
You must not know what's going on here in the southeast. There is no other choice currently.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:45 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Yoops Racing
so I got up at 6:00am this morning and found only regular - which I promptly filled up from 1/4 tank of prem (no telling when the gas supply will increase here) There is simply no Prem available here at all.

So more importantly give me a real reason not to go buy a few bottles of Octane booster. I see no one giving any reason why it will not help in these dire circumstances. What can it harm vs running w/o it?

Anyone have any real facts on this?
half the premium gas in the US is just regular gas mixed with oxygenators, MTBE , ethanol, toluene, etc. No reason you can't run some, but unless you're an organic chemist I probably would just let the car detune itself on regular and keep the throttle under control until availability returns.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 AM
jury_ca
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have to run regular, just don't place any heavy loads on the engine like lugging it on too low a gear.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:18 AM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salayc
Doubt it. A bunch of manufacturers (including Porsche) just recently had to admit that using regular gas will not harm their cars and will not void the warranty. It was in response to a class action as I recall.
+1. I wrote a post about this and it includes a link to the article in the NY times regarding Porsche (among others) admitting it is okay to run regular. I even called Porsche's PR department and spoke to them about it.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:06 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

The key is not to floor it. Regular will be fine but don't overwork the engine.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
eDoug
Instructor

Originally Posted by jury_ca
If you have to run regular, just don't place any heavy loads on the engine like lugging it on too low a gear.
Why do you need to run more gently with lower octane? Heat?
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
not necessarily true.

Torco fuel accelerator provides a very noticeable octane increase. 32oz in the standard gas tank should provide 2 or 3 full points of octane increase.

The off the shelf stuff at Autozone is useless though.
chemically impossible
Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

to elaborate on the post above, if we ratio 64oz. (1/4 gallon) into a 14.75 gallons of 87 octane (for 15 total gallons), the Torco juice would need to be 210 octane for the average of the tank to reach 89 octane.

after reading up on how the torco works, it is NOT actually an octane booster, but it WILL boost the anti-knock index (AKI) of the fuel. i believe it does this by chemically coating the combustion chamber and smoothing out the 'hot spots' that typically cause pre-ignition first.

this product DOES seem to work to that effect; it will reduce the probability of knock by a fairly significant amount. considering how it works, though, i don't know how i feel about something coating my fuel system & combustion chamber. not sure whether there could be problems after long term use. in a pinch, i think it could do the job.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:11 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, say I have a 2008 997. I travel South in my 997 from DC not knowing there is a shortage on gas. I arrive to Atlanta and am unable to find premium grade gasoline. I fill up with regular and 10 miles down the road my engine blows because I have the incorrect octane in my 997. Will my warranty cover this or is this my fault?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:17 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
+1. I wrote a post about this and it includes a link to the article in the NY times regarding Porsche (among others) admitting it is okay to run regular. I even called Porsche's PR department and spoke to them about it.
Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Ok, say I have a 2008 997. I travel South in my 997 from DC not knowing there is a shortage on gas. I arrive to Atlanta and am unable to find premium grade gasoline. I fill up with regular and 10 miles down the road my engine blows because I have the incorrect octane in my 997. Will my warranty cover this or is this my fault?
If you read the article I mention above. I believe that they come right out and say they are not going to ding you on the warranty. Besides, your engine isn't going to blow from running regular (less than premium) that is what the engine management system is for.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:25 PM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by washington dc porsche
Your engine will not blow from using regular gas, so it's kind of a moot point.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

FYI, with the gas shortage here, i've had to run a lot of 87 here in the last two weeks. the car is a LITTLE down on power, but seems to run just fine.

Quick Reply: Regular gas