Stiff Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 AM
rat9545
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiff Shifting

Folks,

Not sure if this is a problem or if I am just getting used the car and the tranny. I have noticed that the switch from neutral to any gear seems a bit stiff. I can get it into gear ... but it does require a fair bit of hand pressure. This happens at any time - car in gear or out of gear or stopped sitting in the driveway.

Is the 996 (mk2) known for the stiff shifting? Notes about the car: no short shifter, all factory settings and parts. Clutch/brake & oil fluid just changed. Car passed PPI with any indication of a problem.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 AM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Although you mention the clutch just being changed, difficulty getting in/out of gear is often indicative of a worn clutch or one that is not adjusted properly. Maybe the system was not properly bled?
The stock shifter isn't hard to "snick" into gear at all.
Pete
Old 09-23-2008, 01:36 AM
rat9545
Advanced

Sorry, I was clear in my post - just the fluid was changed. They said the clutch is engaging high and this is consistent with the PPI. It is scheduled to be done next week. So the stiff shifting could be a result of this?
Old 09-23-2008, 03:07 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Clarify a bit more - the clutch fluid was changed? How about the transmission oil? How many miles on the car? Where do you live? Is it cold?

Lots of factors can cause the car to feel "stiff" including IMHO if it sits a lot and is not driven. Is the car new to you? Drive it every day for a week, get the transmission good and hot (100+ miles) and see if it gets better.

Personally, if my car sits for a long time, especially in the winter when it's cold and the oil gets cold, it doesn't shift nearly as smoothly as when it is driven frequently and in the summer when it's warm.

Michael
Old 09-23-2008, 03:10 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My clutch action is a bit stiffer upon initial driving, however it warms up quickly and is then easy to shift. My clutch is original with 64K miles on it. Very little effort to move in / out gear.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:28 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

The clutch fluid is the brake fluid. We have a hydraulic clutch system.

The transmission fluid is "gear oil."
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My short shifter is definitely stiffer than the stock unit that was on the car when I bought it. Very much "rifle bolt" type of feel, which I really like.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:44 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My short shifter is definitely stiffer than the stock unit that was on the car when I bought it. Very much "rifle bolt" type of feel, which I really like.
That's probably because you taped a tongue depresser on both sides. Oh, wait.... you were talking about your car shifter..... never mind!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:27 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
That's probably because you taped a tongue depresser on both sides. Oh, wait.... you were talking about your car shifter..... never mind!!!
I knew either you or Wayne would nail me for that one. Remember, I did say it was "stiffer" and "like a rifle bolt"!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I knew either you or Wayne would nail me for that one. Remember, I did say it was "stiffer" and "like a rifle bolt"!
yeah, he beat me to it.

Too slow again.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:05 PM
rat9545
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Clarify a bit more - the clutch fluid was changed? How about the transmission oil? How many miles on the car? Where do you live? Is it cold?

Lots of factors can cause the car to feel "stiff" including IMHO if it sits a lot and is not driven. Is the car new to you? Drive it every day for a week, get the transmission good and hot (100+ miles) and see if it gets better.

Personally, if my car sits for a long time, especially in the winter when it's cold and the oil gets cold, it doesn't shift nearly as smoothly as when it is driven frequently and in the summer when it's warm.

Michael
Clutch fluid (shared with the brake) was changed. Transmission oil is original. 38k miles on the car. I just got the car a month ago. The weather presently is in the 60 to 75oF range.

I don't think I am describing my concern well - sorry. Let me try again. With the clutch fully in and moving the gear selector from neutral - it starts to move into gear and then I feel resistance but it isn't in gear yet. I push it harder and it goes into gear. It comes out of gear and back to neutral pretty easily (just a tap). It seems that 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear selections cause the most resistance. It almost feels like it is catching on something - not quite though.

The PPI did indicate that the clutch needs to be done. No transmission problems were found.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2008, 12:17 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

All of the rifle bolts I have seen are pretty short. Now the rifle barrel is totally different.

Damn, I love semantics!

Quick Reply: Stiff Shifting