Sponsored by:

996 Buying advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 04:04 PM
hoboken56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 996 Buying advice

Hi I have just sold my 1999 Boxster and am ready for a 996. I have read alot about this car and my dad has a 2001. The 1999s are so cheap but have issues with the engin. The wife does not want me to get anything but I still will buy one, the point is if I bring a new one home and the engin goes bust that will be a problem. Any advice and really how wide spread is the engin issues.

Thanks Justin
Old 09-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Welcome!

The 996 is a great and reliable car. You cannot get a better bargain right now.

Comments on the engine are over-hyped.

I'd suggest that you read the 996 buyers guide.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/414586-the-ultimate-preowned-996-buying-guide.html

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

engine problems?? why is everybody always refering to engine problems with the 996??? Doesn't anybody understand that from the 120K 996 sold over the years only a small percentage has engine problems...and mostly because some retards can't shift for the life of it!! Run any car hard when it is cold and the engine will go eventually......

If you want to buy a 996 and want a argument not to buy one.....tell me it rattles and squeaks, the hard leather in the doors wasn't a smart idea since it scratches when you look at it, the car looks dated, becomes very light in front at high speeds, the sit behind the wheel isn't very sporty like a ferrari, not enough hp, bad gas mileage etc......because we can argue those statements.

Coming from a boxster you know what kind of car the 996 is (kind of) since it has basically the same boy and interior part, I think even the same engine (sort of)....now go out and buy one!!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb
engine problems?? why is everybody always refering to engine problems with the 996??? Doesn't anybody understand that from the 120K 996 sold over the years only a small percentage has engine problems...and mostly because some retards can't shift for the life of it!! Run any car hard when it is cold and the engine will go eventually......

If you want to buy a 996 and want a argument not to buy one.....tell me it rattles and squeaks, the hard leather in the doors wasn't a smart idea since it scratches when you look at it, the car looks dated, becomes very light in front at high speeds, the sit behind the wheel isn't very sporty like a ferrari, not enough hp, bad gas mileage etc......because we can argue those statements.

Coming from a boxster you know what kind of car the 996 is (kind of) since it has basically the same boy and interior part, I think even the same engine (sort of)....now go out and buy one!!

Say it as it is!
Old 09-21-2008, 04:38 PM
hoboken56
Instructor

I am going to buy one very soon just looking sor some food for thought. Is it worth spending more for the 2001+ years or not to worry.

I am only asking about what I have heard and read.

Justin...
Old 09-21-2008, 09:04 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by hoboken56
I am going to buy one very soon just looking sor some food for thought. Is it worth spending more for the 2001+ years or not to worry.

I am only asking about what I have heard and read.

Justin...
PM me if you're interested in an 02 Carrera 4s with less than 23k miles and CPO warranty through May 09 (will help with your fears of engine problems?)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM
RF5BPilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was talking to an acquaintance who owns a recent Ferrari. He is approaching a $10,000 service. I have always appreciated the precision, robustness & economy of Porsche. A new engine would likely cost less than just the servicing of other performance cars--to say nothing of serious engine work. Just keep money aside for maintenance or unexpected repairs....just as you should with any used car. Find a good car in a comfortable price range & enjoy it.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:01 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I have just sold my 1999 Boxster and am ready for a 996. I have read alot about this car and my dad has a 2001. The 1999s are so cheap but have issues with the engin. The wife does not want me to get anything but I still will buy one, the point is if I bring a new one home and the engin goes bust that will be a problem. Any advice and really how wide spread is the engin issues.
As you had a '99 Boxster, you already had the potential engine issues. Isn't the same engine block used in both cars - a '99 Boxster and a '99 996?
Old 09-22-2008, 03:44 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hwk72
As you had a '99 Boxster, you already had the potential engine issues. Isn't the same engine block used in both cars - a '99 Boxster and a '99 996?
I think that's right essentially.

Of course a 996 is still almost 2x the cost of a Boxster, so a $30k car might not leave a lot of money in the bank in case there is a problem....

Mine has been great, good luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Only you can answer the question will having to replace engine in new used Carrera...

Thanks Justin
be a problem for you.

Roughly, cost of new engine approx. $15,000 sourced from dealer and installed by dealership service department. (Could be higher in areas and could go higher over time.)

What affect would having to face this have on you and your happy home?

Can't give you a risk factor. These engines fail in sufficient numbers (based on posts here, elsewhere and letters to Porsche mags) that the risk isn't zero. The newer the car, engine, the less the risk is, but still isn't zero.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:24 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicolaasdb

OK! Please tell us what you really think....
Old 09-22-2008, 08:44 PM
ultrashield mark
Advanced

I am sure you can get some good advice from a divorce lawer around here

Quick Reply: 996 Buying advice