996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

My New Project Car...Italian and Not a Fire Victim

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Good luck with the new project. I can't wait to see how it turns out!!
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

Oh mark, you lucky dog! I love both of those cars!

I can't wait to se the Maserati come back to life!

This one might be a keeper!

Good luck!
Old 09-16-2008, 10:02 PM
hantsbad
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, I can't wait to see your progress. I enjoyed your other project and you do such a great job.
I like both cars so keep us informed.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:14 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I loved rebuilding the two 996s, but I'm really excited about not having to deal with computers. I won't miss smelling like burnt plastic either. I am fortunate to get to work on such fun cars. I will keep you guys posted on the progress and thanks for the interest.

Thanks to the moderators for not moving this to "off-topic"....I enjoy getting to share with my 996 friends.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:16 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE 3500 GTs, a Vignale bodied spider is on my top ten list, insane bargain compared to period cavallinos, such wonderful cars. Just need to get me an airplane hangar.

and +1 on the no computers! What are you doing for parts on the Maser?

Last edited by htny; 09-18-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: i can't spell
Old 09-17-2008, 03:45 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mfletch
Here is a picture of what a restored 3500 Gt looks like. It is amazing how much better they look, without a layer of rat feces covering them.
Where is the wing?
Old 09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words guys. I loved rebuilding the two 996s, but I'm really excited about not having to deal with computers.
You say that now, I curse my '69 Olds every time I work on it for having things like points and a carb, and not having codes to read when something goes wrong. I kind of like the diagnose and replace technique of the 996.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

htny, there is a Viginale spyder currently on ebay at about $260,000....it sure is pretty. I have already located the couple parts that I need on ebay and the Maserati Information Exchange. JDS, the wing is on a shelf in my garage...I don't think a taco tail would look very good on it...maybe some spinners though. salayc, I did forget about the joys of balancing multiple carbs, gaping points, and setting valve lash...at least, I can kind of understand those.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Great projects Mark! Since I am in these cars way too deep this is right up my alley!! The GT's are great fun and the Maserati will make you a lot of money. The price of the 3500 has gone up a remarkable amout in the last 5 years or so. A cheaper alternative to a Ferrari but still exclusive.

BTW my Alfa project got a little out of hand this Summer Stupid too.
Attached Images   
Old 09-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Steven, I thought of you when I picked up this car. I forgot it was red underneath the crappy white paint job. Red will always be my favorite Alfa color. I love seeing a car done right. Your Alfa will be incredible when it is done. I wish I could keep this one and restore it for (and with) my two sons. You are really going all out on yours. I would sure enjoy seeing pictures as your restoration progresses. Why is the roof off? Good luck on the project and thanks for the response.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Mark,

Yes, this car is way past go and should have been crushed but its like digging a hole with the dirt falling in on you the whole time. It's hard to stop even though you know the problem is only getting worse. I ended up selling a Ferrari I picked up a long the way to pay for this mess. Oh well, whats done is done and I am now the proud owner of a truly rust free Alfa?

The roof came off because the cowl under the wipers was rusted out and it had some roof issues too, soooo it was just easier to do it all at once. Actually the car is about 20 hours away from paint now and if all goes well it may be on the track next Spring....or so I am hoping. Good luck with your projects.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:55 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

htny, there is a Viginale spyder currently on ebay at about $260,000....it sure is pretty. I have already located the couple parts that I need on ebay and the Maserati Information Exchange. JDS, the wing is on a shelf in my garage...I don't think a taco tail would look very good on it...maybe some spinners though. salayc, I did forget about the joys of balancing multiple carbs, gaping points, and setting valve lash...at least, I can kind of understand those.
Ah I guess the days are gone when they were $50-75K (I'll admit my hemmings subscription is bit out of date, last I looked was about 4 years ago) but then again the equivalent 250GT spider from Ferrari is trading around $2MM+ now!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:33 PM
Mother
Burning Brakes

Looks like a blast and let the swearing begin... I love the the color of the restored maserati. I did a 1957 jag MK1 and syncing the carbs was a pain but the sound was just music. Enjoy the new journey and post up the pics as she comes along.

Last edited by Mother; 09-18-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:15 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

Mark you got ***** man.

Good luck!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:28 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Steven, I know I'm not the only one around here that goes nuts, when they have an imperfection in their car. That little door ding is the first thing you see when you walk up to your baby and the last thing you see when you walk away. You won't have that problem with the Alfa. It is definatlely worth putting the effort into (for yourself, probably not resale). I forgot how much I loved the look of the GTVs. It's a good thing the tires are rotten and the brake boost is out. If I drove it, I wouldn't be able to sell it. I would love to see some of the resrotation pictures on yours.

htny, the prices on the Maserati's have skyrocketed over the past few years. They are still a bargain, compared to a similar vintage Ferrari.

blinkwatt, thanks, but I think it's a lack of brain cells.

Quick Reply: My New Project Car...Italian and Not a Fire Victim