Sponsored by:

Niggling Annoyances

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 AM
stilton_a_cheese
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Niggling Annoyances

Chronicles of the minor travails of (Porsche) life that are quite trivial but get up your nose none the less.

I'll start. This past June I noticed that the the IR Porsche key thingy (I believe that's the technical term) wasn't operating as well as it had been. Stupid me, I just pressed harder on the *Door Unlock* button... Then it occurred to me that it may have something to do with the battery (a genius in the making). So we're in the city and we swing 'round to Porsche Zentrum Frankfurt and I go in and introduce myself to the lovely people at the parts desk and explain my problem, and they, an older gent and a young woman get right on the case. The older gent starts typing on his computer and the young woman fetches me a cup of espresso. Good News! We have the battery in stock! So the older gent bops off to the parts area and I drink my espresso. He returns with a battery and asks for my key. He's going to install the battery for me free of charge. Zounds, whatta deal. So I give him the key and he opens it up and that's when he notices that the rubber around the *Door Unlock* button is cracked and will let dust and grit into the precision designed Porsche IR device. So he then sells me a new 99663735500 (Handsender cover) key thingy, and installs the battery and new thingy and I'm on my way. When I get home and lock the 911 it works, but not as well as before. I pay no heed and for the next 8 weeks the good wife and I are in Spain and the USofA and the Porsche is parked. When we get back the IR key thingy doesn't work at all. I have to open the car using the key and this is fraught with peril because it will set off the alarm if done incorrectly. And I did it incorrectly several times. Anyhow the problem was resolved when I opened the key thingy and removed the battery and took it up-town to the place where they have lots of batteries. The battery, a CR 2032 is rated at 3v. The one Porsche Zentrum Frankfurt sold me produced 2.3v. They sold me a *renate*, that's what's stamped on the battery. I replaced it with a slightly more expensive battery (about $1 more) Pannasonic battery and all is now well in the world. So it begs the question, why would Porsche Zentrum Frankfurt stock no-name batteries? I mean, the difference between a piece-o-sh*t battery for $4 v a kick-*** battery for $5 ?

Gotta stop now... The single malt glass is needs refilling.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
TamiyaGuy
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

You probably just got a defective battery. I've been using CR 2032 batteries which I purchased off a street market in China for - are you ready for this - $0.15/each. I bought a strip of 10. They may not last as long as a brand name one but they produce 3V and they last at least two years. So, I think even the cheapest ones are capable of producing 3v.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:37 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stilton_a_cheese
Chronicles of the minor travails of (Porsche) life that are quite trivial but get up your nose none the less.

I'll start. This past June I noticed that the the IR Porsche key thingy (I believe that's the technical term) wasn't operating as well as it had been. Stupid me, I just pressed harder on the *Door Unlock* button... Then it occurred to me that it may have something to do with the battery (a genius in the making). So we're in the city and we swing 'round to Porsche Zentrum Frankfurt and I go in and introduce myself to the lovely people at the parts desk and explain my problem, and they, an older gent and a young woman get right on the case. The older gent starts typing on his computer and the young woman fetches me a cup of espresso. Good News! We have the battery in stock! So the older gent bops off to the parts area and I drink my espresso. He returns with a battery and asks for my key. He's going to install the battery for me free of charge. Zounds, whatta deal. So I give him the key and he opens it up and that's when he notices that the rubber around the *Door Unlock* button is cracked and will let dust and grit into the precision designed Porsche IR device. So he then sells me a new 99663735500 (Handsender cover) key thingy, and installs the battery and new thingy and I'm on my way. When I get home and lock the 911 it works, but not as well as before. I pay no heed and for the next 8 weeks the good wife and I are in Spain and the USofA and the Porsche is parked. When we get back the IR key thingy doesn't work at all. I have to open the car using the key and this is fraught with peril because it will set off the alarm if done incorrectly. And I did it incorrectly several times. Anyhow the problem was resolved when I opened the key thingy and removed the battery and took it up-town to the place where they have lots of batteries. The battery, a CR 2032 is rated at 3v. The one Porsche Zentrum Frankfurt sold me produced 2.3v. They sold me a *renate*, that's what's stamped on the battery. I replaced it with a slightly more expensive battery (about $1 more) Pannasonic battery and all is now well in the world. So it begs the question, why would Porsche Zentrum Frankfurt stock no-name batteries? I mean, the difference between a piece-o-sh*t battery for $4 v a kick-*** battery for $5 ?

Gotta stop now... The single malt glass is needs refilling.
Good story! Hey, what the hell do you expect for free? I guess it was worth the price you paid for it!

Quick Reply: Niggling Annoyances