Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs/Coil Over/Aero Kits HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 08:36 PM
1999 996C4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lowering Springs/Coil Over/Aero Kits HELP

Another question here - I have been looking into some aero kits recently and then I was told to simply install new springs for a better look - after researching that I found that springs maybe are NOT such a great idea and I should be looking into a "coil-over" kit - any suggestions as to where I might find the best "bang for my buck" with these coil over kits online? And any idea of how much it might cost to have these installed?

Once again, thanks in advance for all the help!
Old 09-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 110 Posts

The advantage of a coilover setup is the ability to adjust the height and to corner balance the vehicle. If you're fine with a fixed height then a spring/shock combination is perfectly fine. Generally the advice is against changing the springs without upgrading the shocks. If factory offers some of the best bang for the buck upgrades if you're good with a shock/spring setup. If you want to go coilover people seem to like the Bilstein PSS9/10 for mixed street/track use. If you're going hardcore track then coilovers are your answer and there are plenty of great setups but they get pricey quickly...
Old 09-06-2008, 10:23 AM
1999 996C4
Instructor

Great point I am actually not tracking the car at all, just looking for smoother appearance - I generally HW drive around 85 mph or so, and occasionally take it up to over 100 - I fear the "bouncy" and "unstable" nature of the beast with just springs - any thoughts if it is worth it to spend the money on coil overs when I am only using it on street and never track? I obviously would like to keep a smoother ride as the roads here in Minnesota are already bumply enough So just wondering what would be my best bet!

Thx.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:52 AM
BlownC2
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1999 996C4
Great point I am actually not tracking the car at all, just looking for smoother appearance - I generally HW drive around 85 mph or so, and occasionally take it up to over 100 - I fear the "bouncy" and "unstable" nature of the beast with just springs - any thoughts if it is worth it to spend the money on coil overs when I am only using it on street and never track? I obviously would like to keep a smoother ride as the roads here in Minnesota are already bumply enough So just wondering what would be my best bet!

Thx.
i tried doing just the springs (against my mechanics advise) and the car rode horrible, very bouncy. i changed the shocks and it was much better but i still was not happy. ended up doing pss9's...awesome! car rides and handles better.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs/Coil Over/Aero Kits HELP