996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

What wheels are these, and how much can I get for them

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:57 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Dan, glad to see you finally picked up a 996!

Looks from the pictures like those are Gen. Champion wheels. As others have stated they look to be an older model but they'll still bring decent money in the event you decide to sell them.

Andy
Old 08-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Are those off that blue/tan 99 aero that was up at Motorcar Investments at European Performance for a while?
I was wondering the same thing.
If they end up being non-champion knock-offs and you want to get rid of them fairly cheap and locally let me know, considering a 2nd set for my 99.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:12 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the valve stem?

Are those off that blue/tan 99 aero that was up at Motorcar Investments at European Performance for a while?

What is that gap in the wheel looking between the two bolts (pic from the inside that has that RB4 stamp)?

Honestly they look like the usual knockoffs but if you want to be absolutely sure, call Champion Porsche down in Pompano Beach.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, talking about this space.....
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Me too, the space for the valve stem.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

That's where the valve stem is passing through the center section of the wheel. Poor design...but one more detail that makes me think they're a real multi-piece wheel.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Then why wouldn't the barrel have a "hole" in it rather than a "break"??? I'm no sturctural engineer but that can't be stronger can it? That is what makes me think these are replicas rather than Champions. Like I said, I would call them directly and maybe even offer pictures to confirm. If they were my wheels I would want to know.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:10 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Then why wouldn't the barrel have a "hole" in it rather than a "break"??? I'm no sturctural engineer but that can't be stronger can it? That is what makes me think these are replicas rather than Champions. Like I said, I would call them directly and maybe even offer pictures to confirm. If they were my wheels I would want to know.
I have to agree that on a cast wheel that would be a concern of mine. Maybe not soo much on a Forged center section, quality wheel. Then again maybe that's why they updated the design to begin with.

...looks like we'll all have to stay tuned to hear the results.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Yep, I picked it up from motorcar investments 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was scheduled to go to CMP with coco this weekend but became ill thursday . The car could really use a suspension, the front shocks need to be replaced anyways, but I am otherwise very happy with the car. I just switched from a 2002 M3 which was really well set-up. It was a tough call but I think it will be worth it once i put a decent suspension on the 911.

The car also has a loud, buzzy exhaust (PSE? or something else) I would like to get rid of and put stock mufflers on.

I'm just not a fan of 19s, the increased cost of the tire, the 35/30 profile tires on it now.

Last edited by Fissionx; 08-29-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

BTW, Champion RG5B are one-piece wheels with rivets to make them look like multi-piece wheels. Yours are true multi-piece wheels.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Fissionx
Yep, I picked it up from motorcar investments 2 or 3 weeks ago. I was scheduled to go to CMP with coco this weekend but became ill thursday . The car could really use a suspension, the front shocks need to be replaced anyways, but I am otherwise very happy with the car. I just switched from a 2002 M3 which was really well set-up. It was a tough call but I think it will be worth it once i put a decent suspension on the 911.

The car also has a loud, buzzy exhaust (PSE? or something else) I would like to get rid of and put stock mufflers on.

I'm just not a fan of 19s, the increased cost of the tire, the 35/30 profile tires on it now.
Looking forward to meeting up soon! There are several social outlets in-between track days, etc.. Hurricane region has a coffee get together on Saturday's up in Briar Creek and some of us Carolinas members get together over here in Cary/Apex on Saturdays for coffee and a drive.

Enjoy the new car!
Old 08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Fissionx
Racer

Got an email back form championmotorsports, they say it's their older 3piece wheel the RB4. Good news for me since these will probably fetch a good bit more; pay for a set of 18s and maybe have some left over to help w/ suspension.

On a related topic, will the stock MK2 gt3 wheels fit a mk1 c2 chassis? I would like a Porsche wheel, and although they can be had for cheap, the turbo twists are pretty common.

I'm looking hard at the H&R RSS club sports, but my local friends are trying to talk me into stock GT3. I'm not very familiar with JIC or the other manufactures. It's too bad Ground Control doesn't have applications for these cars...
Old 08-29-2008, 06:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Absolutely they will fit. I have put them on my wife's C2 CAB. Remember, the GT3 is a narrow-body just like your car. Be prepared to pay about 2K for a set of GT3 wheels.

With that said, I can't imagine the used champion wheels fetching enough to even cover a set of replacement wheels much less a suspension as well.

Depends on what you want to do with the car there are MANY choices out there for suspension so feel free to ask away and you will get more info back than you probably care to read
Old 08-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Why would you not put stock GT3 susp. on your car? I think it's a decent set up for occasional track outing/street car... I'd do that + a set of sway bars and see how you like it. Of course if you show up at CMP to join us, something tells me there'll be other 996s here...
Old 08-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Fissionx
Racer

So, ask about sunday. One day and 2+ hours of track time should be all I'd want right now, on these shocks. Weight transitioning sucks, but once it's settled it feels.... 'very niceee'

Quick Reply: What wheels are these, and how much can I get for them