996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

HELP WITH CALIPER PAINT PROCESS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 02:36 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default HELP WITH CALIPER PAINT PROCESS!

Hey guys, so today I got my car up on stands, & cleaned the calipers until I got all the paint off. I just finished doing that, & it's late, so I'm going to paint them tomorrow after work. BUT I have a few questions. See, I bought the PORSCHE caliper decals from xenonmods, & want to apply them, then apply the clear engine enamel I bought so the decals are sealed. I'm going to wait over an hour to apply the decals to make sure I don't smear the paint, so my question is, do I REALLY have to wait 5 days to add the clear coat?? Will the paint lift easily or get damaged if I add the clear coat about 2 hours after painting??

ALSO, since I used a big brush, I noticed it started to take the paint off the rotor hats too, it looked kind of ugly just partly brushed off, so I decided while I was at it to take all the paint of the rotor hats, lol. They actually look a lot better, very shiny & clean. But now I'm wondering, if I leave them like that, will they get rusted easy? Should I spray paint them with RustOleum??

Everyone who's done this or knows about this kind of stuff, please help! I'm a newbie for all this DIY stuff, & I want to finish tomorrow so I can get back in my car ASAP. I heard the red calipers add about 1000 HP, lol.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:44 AM
TMAC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did mine in that same way but I didn't wait 5 days to apply my clear and they look great and have held up since Sept already. I didn't drive the car for a while (I left for a 2.5 week business trip) so mine just sat after I did the job.
Did you paint the hats black or red? I have thought about painting mine black but just haven't got back in there to do so. Post up some pictures when you can.
Mine went from this

To this

Old 08-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I have done this on my 964 and I would wait a few days at least. If it is hot as Dallas this Summer a couple of days will be plenty. Just don't want the evaporating solvents from the paint to lift the clear.
Attached Images  
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Id follow the directions on the paint can. There may be some strange reason why the product needs days to dry. BUT with any other automotive base coat clear coat paint, you wait 30 to 45 minutes to apply the clear. Just enough time for the base to tack up.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia

ALSO, since I used a big brush, I noticed it started to take the paint off the rotor hats too, it looked kind of ugly just partly brushed off, so I decided while I was at it to take all the paint of the rotor hats, lol. They actually look a lot better, very shiny & clean. But now I'm wondering, if I leave them like that, will they get rusted easy? Should I spray paint them with RustOleum??...
I have no experience painting calipers but do know that if you do not paint the rotor hats they will begin to rust immediately. I've painted mine with Rustoleum and it is holding up fine. Good luck with the project.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 708 Likes on 354 Posts

I agree about following the intructions on the can...the safest bet for sure. Also, you will certainly want to address the rotor hats...I bought some zimmerman aftermarket rotors and when I got them they were not painted like th oem peices, and they were basically red in about 3 days. I ended up taking them off and painting them.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:40 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Well San Diego is fairly warm, so I'll just wait about 1 day before applying the clear coat.

As far as the rotor hats, I'm going to paint them with Rustoleum. I'm wondering, should I paint them red to go with the calipers? blue to go with the car? silver so it looks more factory? or black to give it a "clean" look & kind of make them disappear?

Help me decide! Red, blue, silver, or black??
Old 08-22-2008, 04:50 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd probably go with silver for a more factory look. I need to paint the Brembo rotors on my BMW as they glow orange, but not from heat.

...and black calipers are faster than red ones
Old 08-22-2008, 05:27 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Paint the rotor hats the same color (approximately) as your wheels. Silver is the safest bet.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

But Did you dismantle the calipers, or are going to paint them covering the rotors?
Old 08-22-2008, 06:02 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm getting ready to do this one too. I bought the Duplicolor Caliper kit and Duplicolor high temp. clear engine paint to seal the decals in place. Both are ceramic based. I believe the reason for repainting in less than 1 hour or waiting 5 days has to do with the curing process for these ceramic based finishes. Will it hurt anything to do the clear coat after two hours? I dunno, but I'll follow the directions anyway.
Old 08-22-2008, 07:28 PM
TMAC
Instructor

Well San Diego is fairly warm, so I'll just wait about 1 day before applying the clear coat.

As far as the rotor hats, I'm going to paint them with Rustoleum. I'm wondering, should I paint them red to go with the calipers? blue to go with the car? silver so it looks more factory? or black to give it a "clean" look & kind of make them disappear?

Help me decide! Red, blue, silver, or black??
While silver looks factory I plan to do mine in black for a cleaner look.

I would recommend that you do what the box/can says. Mine didn't ask for such a long waiting period so I didn't have to.
Good luck with the project
Old 08-22-2008, 08:26 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Originally Posted by TMAC
While silver looks factory I plan to do mine in black for a cleaner look.

I would recommend that you do what the box/can says. Mine didn't ask for such a long waiting period so I didn't have to.
Good luck with the project
Ya, silver does look factory, which is why I already ruled that out. I mean, what's the point in doing the work for the same factory look? I might as well do something a little different. I ruled out blue as well because it wouldn't be the same blue as my car, so therefore it'd just look out of place & cheap like a ricer tuner car. I think I'm leaning towards black too, so it looks clean like you said. Although if I did red, it'd make the calipers more noticable 'cause there'd be more red behind the wheel to pull your eye in.

Ya, well I need my car ready to go already, so I'm going to do it all in less than an hour (it says to do all coats within one hour or wait 5 days after that).

Thanks, good luck with your black hats too
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM
TMAC
Instructor

Ya, silver does look factory, which is why I already ruled that out. I mean, what's the point in doing the work for the same factory look? I might as well do something a little different. I ruled out blue as well because it wouldn't be the same blue as my car, so therefore it'd just look out of place & cheap like a ricer tuner car. I think I'm leaning towards black too, so it looks clean like you said. Although if I did red, it'd make the calipers more noticable 'cause there'd be more red behind the wheel to pull your eye in.

Ya, well I need my car ready to go already, so I'm going to do it all in less than an hour (it says to do all coats within one hour or wait 5 days after that).

Thanks, good luck with your black hats too
Thanks and post up some pictures once you get finished. I would love to see the finished product.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:00 AM
911_993_997
Racer

Originally Posted by TMAC
Thanks and post up some pictures once you get finished. I would love to see the finished product.
So, just put my wheels back on a couple minutes ago. I finished last night with the rear calipers, I'm going to do the front ones next week (unless I find time tomorrow). It's hard to do this kind of stuff when you're juggling your time between full time university AND full time work, or better said, over time university and over time work, lol. This is why I only got the chance to do 2 yesterday. I painted the calipers, put the decals on, the clear coat on, painted the rotor hats matte black, cleaned & coated wheels with RejeX TWICE, & coated calipers with Rejex as well.

It's night time, & I used a phone, but heres some crappy pics until I get a chance to finish the other calipers & take better pics:

...Again, I apoligize for the crappy night time, low quality phone pics from a horrible photographer, but what do you guys think? I think I did pretty good for a newbie, lol.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH CALIPER PAINT PROCESS!