Sponsored by:

Good product for cleaning polished wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:04 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Good product for cleaning polished wheel

The lips on my Sport designs are polished with no clear coat, the body shop that installed my Aerokit did an awesome job BUT they stained the hell out of the lips with some chemical. I really don't want to bother bringing the car back to them and would rather deal with it myself.

I used some Mothers mag wheel polish and it takes some of it off but with a huge amount of work! Is there a better product out there? I guess I could even sand them if I had to.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2008 | 11:18 PM
FLY996
Rennlist Member

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:22 PM
TMAC
Instructor

There is a small blue and white jar of polish I have used in the past. It cleans up the exhaust tips well. It is called Blue Magic metal polish. I have also used a product called Wenol which is awesome.
Both of these have worked great for me but it would depend on what they got on there. I would take them back if I were you. What if it is really damaged beyound repair?
Old 08-20-2008 | 11:27 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TMAC
There is a small blue and white jar of polish I have used in the past. It cleans up the exhaust tips well. It is called Blue Magic metal polish. I have also used a product called Wenol which is awesome.
Both of these have worked great for me but it would depend on what they got on there. I would take them back if I were you. What if it is really damaged beyound repair?
After a ton of work I was able to get one wheel almost back to perfect so I think they are fixable, I sure hope so they were refinished last month!
If I cant get them looking 100% I will bring it back, They are good guys and I am sure they will take care of it but first I would rather see if I can sort it out.
I will give them a call in an event and give them a heads up.
Old 08-21-2008 | 12:06 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by FLY996
+1000000
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:11 AM
salayc
Burning Brakes

You can also try jewelers stainless steel rouge (the white rouge) available from jewelry supply. I also have had decent luck with green rouge.
Old 08-21-2008 | 01:28 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

+2 simichrome.
Old 08-21-2008 | 07:20 AM
TMAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by htny
+1000000
I will have to look into that stuff too then. Where do you buy it?
Old 08-21-2008 | 07:29 AM
MikeZ
Instructor

+1 on the Semichrome.
I bouth it in a boat supply store. Expensive though.
Old 08-21-2008 | 08:50 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Wurth citrus degreaser followed by 2 coats of RejeX Wax.
Old 08-21-2008 | 10:29 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks all!! Will let you know how it goes
Old 08-21-2008 | 08:48 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TMAC
I will have to look into that stuff too then. Where do you buy it?
I buy mine from a guy in denver mail order, 10 bucks shipped for a little tube that will last you a while

https://emall4antiques.com/simichrome.htm

note: I don't use it on my wheels as they are cleared, but nothing does exhaust tips by hand faster or better, and I have used ever major metal polish from nevr dull to blue magic to mother's etc.

Polishing tips: Use the simichrome Sparingly! If you are doing narrow surfaces with good clearance to bodywork (like wheel lips), a drill mounted Powerball polishing ball works surprisingly well, if by hand try those cotton polishing gloves like the ones that come in shoe shine kits followed by a polishing cloth.
Old 08-21-2008 | 11:36 PM
salayc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by htny

note: I don't use it on my wheels as they are cleared, but nothing does exhaust tips by hand faster or better, and I have used ever major metal polish from nevr dull to blue magic to mother's etc.
Go pro, use a jeweler's rouge and never go back. Everything else is a watered down and more expensive consumer version IMHO.
Old 08-22-2008 | 12:17 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by salayc
Go pro, use a jeweler's rouge and never go back. Everything else is a watered down and more expensive consumer version IMHO.
i think my dad may have some laying around at his house, i'll check next week and try if so
Old 08-25-2008 | 05:09 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

This stuff did the trick!! Also made my Exhaust tips look awsome!

P21S Metal Polishing Soap - 10.6 oz Jar
Description: 10.6 oz Jar with Applicator Sponge
A clay and soap based, water soluble metal polish that cleans and polishes all uncoated metal surfaces in one easy step. Clean the area/item to be polished to remove any brake dust, dirt or grease. Wet the enclosed sponge thoroughly, drag across the surface of the Polishing Soap a couple of passes, then squeeze the sponge several times to raise a lather. Gently scrub the surface with the sponge for a few seconds until the shine appears. Rinse thoroughly with water, dry and you are done. Certain heavily soiled areas may require repeated applications. The Polishing Soap does not contain any petroleum solvents or ammonia and leaves the treated surface with a water repellent shine that beads water. DO NOT use on painted surfaces, clear coated or anodized metal. Great for polished or chromed wheels, chrome bumpers, exhaust tips, running boards, diamond plate, stainless steel, aluminum, copper, glass. The Polishing Soap is non-toxic and biodegradable.

Quick Reply: Good product for cleaning polished wheel