996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best tires for under $1000 ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:49 PM
911Joel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Wellardmac;5719224]All these opinions and not one person has asked what the OP is looking for in a tire. Seek first to understand, then be understood.
QUOTE]

Good point.

So these will mostly be a street tire. I do push it on the streets when in safe locations though.

I may goto the track a few times a year.

So really street tire performance, low tires noise, and a decent expected mileage would be what Im looking for.

Thanks for everyones opinions. I actually have done a lot of searching I just wanted to get other peoples input.

I have been leaning toward the BFGoodrich G-Force Sports.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Joel
Good point.

So these will mostly be a street tire. I do push it on the streets when in safe locations though.

I may goto the track a few times a year.

So really street tire performance, low tires noise, and a decent expected mileage would be what Im looking for.

Thanks for everyones opinions. I actually have done a lot of searching I just wanted to get other peoples input.

I have been leaning toward the BFGoodrich G-Force Sports.
Good to get an idea of what you want. Based on what you said, a straight street tire like the Bridgestone isn't for you. I'm sure that others can give lots of recommendations for hybrid tires and whether the BFG you mentioned is a good choice.

Good luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
lanny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my car and put on 4 new nitto 555 before I sold it an was amazed how much less road noise there was and they were 700.00 installed for 4 - still handled good but not quite as good as the conti sports but for the driving that I do it was good. Keep in mind that most people putting on new tires are repalcing worn ones of course and they should feel a little better which I think was the same for me.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

So shoot me. I love Pirelli PZero Rosso Asymetrico's for road and track. New set of 4 can be had for $1,000, and will do it all for what you are looking for.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:49 AM
911Joel
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
So shoot me. I love Pirelli PZero Rosso Asymetrico's for road and track. New set of 4 can be had for $1,000, and will do it all for what you are looking for.

I had considered those but the bfgoodrich are rated much higher overall at tirereack

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=g-Force+Sport

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=PZero+Rosso
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have said this before in experience about the Sumitomos HTR IIIs. They are excellent for a daily driver. Quiet, good wear characteristics, good grip in all but track situations. Certainly good enough that it is hard to justify wearing out $2000 of MPS2s on the daily commute. Buy the Sumitomos, and your savings over the next few years will allow you to buy a second set of wheels with real track day tires MPSCups. Just my $.02.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:23 AM
TCR
Addict
Rennlist Member

+1 for The Sumitomo HTR Z III; If you are not tracking the car. These are great daily driver tires for $650 out the door at Tire Rack

Last edited by TCR; 08-20-2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: sperrling
Old 08-20-2008, 09:38 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
All these opinions and not one person has asked what the OP is looking for in a tire. Seek first to understand, then be understood.

The answer will depend up on whether you're looking for high performance track tire, or only use your car on the street.

If you're looking to go on the track, then it's hard to beat PS2s, but if your car is a garage queen street car, then personally IMHO the Bridgestones take a lot of beating (I'm currently running RE750s, the 760s just replaced them in the market).

Your choice all depends on what you're going to demand from your tire. The answer will vary depending upon what you need.
I hope the OP is not trying to track on a shoestring budget..
Old 08-20-2008, 11:14 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure where the prices are with the dramatic rise in oil prices but prior to all that,
I decided on Goodyear Eagle F1's instead of the French and Japanese selections. Without a doubt these AMERICAN tires are the absolute best wet weather tires I have ever driven. They are cheaper than the B'stones, Pirellis, and Michelins and are a world class tire.
Unless you are going through more than one set of rears per year I don't see justifying the savings of $300 to leave so much value on the table. It makes seem like buying a generic is really over paying from the perspective of the manufacturers production costs and testing.
Most people will spend the $300 savings on one weekend of dining out a shopping for home stuff with wifey. Yet the extra performance from those tires could be the extra 3 inches that avoids a wreck.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:15 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Meh. Buy a set of Falken Azeni Rt615s.

http://www.vulcantire.com/azenis_rt615_t.htm

Thank me later.
Vulcan has a good price on the RT615; they're cheaper at discounttire.com but on back-order there. Vulcan has them on stock; just got mine mounted yesterday. It's the most recommended AX tire. However, if you want a better treadwear, then the Falken FK452 is a great street tire; have them on my BMW.

I had Michelin PS2, Bridgestone Potenza, Toyo T1R, Pirelli P-Zero Rosso and can't say that the more expensive tires (PS2 or P-Zero) are worth the price difference for street driving. Even on the Track (only tracked the Potenzas and P-Zeros), the more expensive Pirelli did not convince me.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:12 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

@Steve:
Rear Porsche wheels are noisy compared to other cars. My Pirelli Neros are noisy too.
It was terrible on my old everyday Carrera 4 that had Dunlop sport SP9000... so noisy that I was wondering if some bearings were singing. Cheap tires, pretty good grip even on rain, but super noisy.

If someone knows a tire that has a wonderful grip AND is quiet please give me the secret

Goodrich, I've had two bad experiences with them (Actually the only bad experience I've ever had with tires) so I will never buy again.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with regard to BFG's, the g-force sport is good, but the KDW2 is GREAT.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Luckyr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Patrick E
This is probably an unpopular position, but here it goes:

We've all bought expensive, highly engineered, high performance automobiles. And yet people are always trying to cheap out on their tire selections? If the tires suck, what's the point of everything else? Rubber is the only thing connecting all that fancy German engineering to the ground. I say suck it up and buy some n-spec PS2s. They're pricey, but pricey for a reason.

Just my $.02.

If only spending high dollar guaranteed quality, life would be so much simpler. There is a reason Marketing Depts spend so much money on advertising.

I agree with your bolded statement, but why shouldn't tires be like practically every other purchase? That is, a wise purchaser can (and does everyday) get quality for much less dough.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Oh boy, this will be fun. I have been running p-zeros on front and ecsta's on the rear for a month or so. Haven't found the time to put the ecsta's on the front yet, but am doing it tomorrow.

With the combo, PSM is totally unusable. If I forget to turn it off, I almost go off the road in the wet or a hard corner. It is totally confused. With it switched off, I have just as much grip as with the P's. And the rears are quieter than the P's.

Flame away.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:09 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

GoodYear Eagles GsD3s are the best tires I've had on my 996 in the wet, good in the dry and the rears still have 3/10s at 25k miles. Unbelievable but true. I've been waiting all summer for them to wear out to put my new wheels on. They just refuse to die! The fronts have more than half tread left. I got only 10k on rear S02s a few years back, and have never come close to 20k on anything else in the back. Discount Tire Direct has them for right at 1k with free mounting balancing and install....no affiliation, just a happy customer.

Quick Reply: Best tires for under $1000 ?