Sponsored by:

Salvaged Title C4 Cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:58 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Salvaged Title C4 Cab

What do you guys/gals think an '01 black on black salvage title C4 cabriolet worth? Car has 55K miles and looks decent. I'd say it's average to good condition throughout. Although there is no documentation of the accident, the seller claims it is a result of the headlights being stolen and the front end being mangled as a result. Also note worthy is that the hood needs a harder than usual push to latch it (probably just an alignment issue but worth mentioning).

The damage occurred two owners ago so no first hand information will ever be had about what the actual damage was. Both a local guy and a Porsche dealer have looked at it without finding any major faults. But again, no service records available.

What do you think?
Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 AM
lanny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a dealer when i bid an s title car i bid about half of what a non s title is worth. A little aggressive but when it comes time to sell it most people that can buy a p-car anyway will pay for one that is right. If I were looking at this car I would be in that 12-14K money.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

atr911, welcome aboard. I enjoy rebuilding salvage cars for a hobby. I have rebuilt two 1999 996 Porsches. The purple one was salvaged due to an engine fire and the blue one had a dash fire. I sold the purple one for $22,500 with 60,000 miles back in January. It is difficult to sell a salvage car. Most banks will not finance a salvage titled car. At the time I sold mine, it was the least expensive in the nation. Without a salvage title, it would have been worth about $30,000. If you can get one for 50% of it's actual value (not blue book)..it's a bargain. I would not pay over 2/3 of it's actual value, unless it was in mint condition and it was exactly what you want.
Of the 6 salvaged cars that I have bought, the one that I would not do again, was a flood damaged car. All of the cars that are salvaged, an end up at the insurance auction, are moved by a fork lift....Porsche suspension components don't like being forked with. Good luck.
Attached Images     
Old 08-19-2008, 02:05 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any way to get more information about a salvage? IE why and how much?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:08 AM
dallasboats
Pro

where do you people come from???? This is like buying a boat that was salvaged from the bottom of the lake...... How much will you truely save. It was totaled for a reason......

Was it on craigs list?
Old 08-19-2008, 02:10 AM
dallasboats
Pro

Originally Posted by Mfletch
atr911, welcome aboard. I enjoy rebuilding salvage cars for a hobby. I have rebuilt two 1999 996 Porsches. The purple one was salvaged due to an engine fire and the blue one had a dash fire. I sold the purple one for $22,500 with 60,000 miles back in January. It is difficult to sell a salvage car. Most banks will not finance a salvage titled car. At the time I sold mine, it was the least expensive in the nation. Without a salvage title, it would have been worth about $30,000. If you can get one for 50% of it's actual value (not blue book)..it's a bargain. I would not pay over 2/3 of it's actual value, unless it was in mint condition and it was exactly what you want.
Of the 6 salvaged cars that I have bought, the one that I would not do again, was a flood damaged car. All of the cars that are salvaged, an end up at the insurance auction, are moved by a fork lift....Porsche suspension components don't like being forked with. Good luck.

This guy knows what is up and knows how to do it... Don't be fooled some sellers bs story and pay retail for a salvage car..... good luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:11 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on never selling, salvage might be ok. But, it always depends on the severity of the damage. I heard that Porsches are salvaged if they are hit underneath the A-pillar around the door jam area. If the frame can be verified true and straight, not too big of a deal IMO.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
. Although there is no documentation of the accident, the seller claims it is a result of the headlights being stolen and the front end being mangled as a result.
Headlights are pretty easy to get out. The only front end damage I could think of would be fenders, hood and bumper cover. Unless the replacement of the parts total more than the value of the car, that's not why it's salvage.
FWIW, a lot salvage cars for sale seem to have a story about the "minimal" damage that the car suffered. The story you're being told doesn't add up so there's more than likely some sort of hidden damage.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:48 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be undisclosed structural damage that may limit the cars integrity if one is ever in a wreck. To me, it's not worth the risk.

Quick Reply: Salvaged Title C4 Cab