Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PAINTING MY CENTER CONSOLE! HELP ME CHOOSE COLOR!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008 | 08:44 AM
TMAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Eric did mine in Artcic silver, it looks great!

Thank you for posting this, I have a silver car but with blue interior. I wanted to see this in a picture to decide how it would look. I like it!

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Thanks TMAC, kind of funny I originally didn't like it so much (as I'm more into the black on black on black on black stealth/evil/agressive look, lol). But everyone compliments me on the color & it's growing on me, haha.]
I would trade with you because I have silver with black wheels but I am partial to my coupe
Old 08-16-2008 | 09:01 AM
kas930
Rennlist Member

I thought I'd post a pic of my work in progress. So far I've been very pleased with the results. I plan to do the door speaker grilles in the next couple of weeks.
Attached Images  
Old 08-16-2008 | 10:20 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LVDell
Paint it exterior color.
+ 1
Old 08-16-2008 | 10:57 AM
TMAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by kas930
I thought I'd post a pic of my work in progress. So far I've been very pleased with the results. I plan to do the door speaker grilles in the next couple of weeks.
Looks good
Old 08-16-2008 | 11:02 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TMAC
Thank you for posting this, I have a silver car but with blue interior. I wanted to see this in a picture to decide how it would look. I like it!
My pleasure!! Thanks! I am thinking of doing the door lids and pulls as well
Old 08-16-2008 | 11:18 AM
salayc
Burning Brakes

Care to share your technique?
Old 08-16-2008 | 11:35 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Cobalt is such an awesome color I'd switch my entire interior to it.
My interior looked like a beige-mustardy hell so I did upper & lower consoles, seat hooks & bat wing in Lapis and the hazard & ignition surrounds in silver. Much. Much. Nicer.
Attached Images    
Old 08-17-2008 | 09:04 AM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salayc
Care to share your technique?
I use base coat/clear coat paint with a flex agent/adhesion promotor. My first project was to paint the front and rear bumbers. It's held up perfectly so far, not a scratch or chip yet.
Old 08-17-2008 | 12:27 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Go with exterior color.
But if you'd consider to paint some interior parts in Cobalt Blue, perhaps it would so recharged.
Old 08-17-2008 | 01:44 PM
salayc
Burning Brakes

I use base coat/clear coat paint with a flex agent/adhesion promotor. My first project was to paint the front and rear bumbers. It's held up perfectly so far, not a scratch or chip yet.
HVLP and booth?
Old 08-17-2008 | 10:56 PM
kas930
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salayc
HVLP and booth?
I actually use an LVLP gun and have acces to a booth with baking capabilities..
Old 08-17-2008 | 11:44 PM
salayc
Burning Brakes

I actually use an LVLP gun and have acces to a booth with baking capabilities..
Nice.
I make up for it with wet sanding between coats.
Old 08-18-2008 | 03:27 PM
911_993_997
Racer

Hey guys, I obviously can't use the Krylon Fusion spray paint like Salayc did since I need a special color, so I'm about to order the color matched spray paint I need, they have it here:
http://automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_matched.aspx

But I have a question, this paint is made for exterior, so what should I use on the plastic first so it'll stick? Is it possible to just use a regular blue Krylon Fusion & then on top of that spray the color matched spray? Or is it best to use a plastic primer? I called & they told me that their paint sticks best to their plastic primer (but of course they want to sell their product, lol). This is the primer they sell:
http://automotivetouchup.com/spray-p...-promoter.aspx

I've never done this kind of work before since this is the first car I've had worth the trouble of doing it, so all the help & tips I could get would be much appreciated as I want to order the stuff already & get started on this project ASAP, I'm anxious to see how it turns out!!! Thanks.
Old 08-18-2008 | 04:14 PM
salayc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RaphaelPlascencia
Hey guys, I obviously can't use the Krylon Fusion spray paint like Salayc did since I need a special color, so I'm about to order the color matched spray paint I need, they have it here:
http://automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint_matched.aspx

But I have a question, this paint is made for exterior, so what should I use on the plastic first so it'll stick? Is it possible to just use a regular blue Krylon Fusion & then on top of that spray the color matched spray? Or is it best to use a plastic primer? I called & they told me that their paint sticks best to their plastic primer (but of course they want to sell their product, lol). This is the primer they sell:
http://automotivetouchup.com/spray-p...-promoter.aspx

I've never done this kind of work before since this is the first car I've had worth the trouble of doing it, so all the help & tips I could get would be much appreciated as I want to order the stuff already & get started on this project ASAP, I'm anxious to see how it turns out!!! Thanks.
Use their primer. I don't have experience with their products, but in general, experimenting with different products fails more than it succeeds.
Old 08-19-2008 | 09:51 AM
imdrew12
Racer

Exterior color for sure. Nice car by the way.

Quick Reply: PAINTING MY CENTER CONSOLE! HELP ME CHOOSE COLOR!