Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Cross Post: "PSM Off" and "ABS" light's on - what to do?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 04:19 AM
MTB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem since May. Durametric shows P1109, P0103 and ABS/PSM fault code 5525 (incorrect data transfer with DME). I tried the followings and lights still come on once a while.
1. Changed MAF sensor,
2. Cleaned throttle body
3. New tires,
4. Disconnected battery for 5 min
5. Cleared codes
6. Checked all ABS sensor connections
There is no pattern when the lights come on. Thinking cleaning the ABS sensors, can it be cleaned? What cleaner?

thx

MTB
Old 08-16-2008, 08:51 AM
an02boxster
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ABS sensors are magnetic pickups at the wheel hubs sitting next to a round part with radial cuts around it. Not much to clean there.
I did have a pattern of comming on. It was at about 4k rpm in any gear but first.
Cleaning the MAF did no good Replacing it fixed it right away.
Old 08-16-2008, 07:20 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Here is where I stand with my list . . oh and I added another item:

In order of least to highest difficulty:
- Check brake lights . . . all working
- Check tire pressure . . . .fine
- Check Battery . . . . . . . . fine
- Check and Clean ABS sensors . . . . played with them, light came on when started car. Rebooted, and now there off. I took the car for a short ride and no lights, but going on a longer drive tomorrow. So we'll see.
- Fuses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .fine
- Clean MAF sensor . . . . pending above
- Buy a DURAMETRIC this weekend!!! . . . this will make things much less stressful to diagnose!

Also, check out my original post on the 986 forums, judd944 through a link for a thread where they had the same problem. A lot of good info.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ght=PSM&page=2

Thanks,
CSbox03s
Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My battery checked fine but voltage dropped just a tad too low when the ABS pumpmotor cycled. Only other clue was that the starter cranked the engine a bit slow. Didn't take note of this latter issue until I installed a new battery.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:17 AM
bk12
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSbox03s
Here is where I stand with my list . . oh and I added another item:

In order of least to highest difficulty:
- Check brake lights . . . all working
- Check tire pressure . . . .fine
- Check Battery . . . . . . . . fine
- Check and Clean ABS sensors . . . . played with them, light came on when started car. Rebooted, and now there off. I took the car for a short ride and no lights, but going on a longer drive tomorrow. So we'll see.
- Fuses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .fine
- Clean MAF sensor . . . . pending above
- Buy a DURAMETRIC this weekend!!! . . . this will make things much less stressful to diagnose!

Also, check out my original post on the 986 forums, judd944 through a link for a thread where they had the same problem. A lot of good info.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ght=PSM&page=2

Thanks,
CSbox03s
Your buying a Durametric this weekend? Call me tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM
iii911ooo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My symptom was the same. The ABS and PSM lights would sometimes come on whenever I released the brakes. I had someone check the brake lights and they were not working when the ABS and PSM lights were on. I then shut the car off and restarted, which reset the system. The brake lights worked for several applications and when the ABS and PSM lights came back on, the brake lights quit working.

I replaced the brake switch. It fixed my problem for about 12 bucks. The switch is mounted to a bracket under the dash near the pivot for the brake pedal.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:17 AM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Soooooo . . . after bk12 told me about iii911ooo's thread . . .

The first time when I had someone checking out my brake lights to see if they worked, the "PSM off" and "ABS" dash lights were off. Recall, if I rebooted the car the lights went off, until I pressed the brake a random number of times. Well that time the dash lights were off.
So, after bk12 mentioning the information from iii911ooo's thread I went back to repeat the same as the above ensuring the dash lights were on. This time I depressed the brake pedal numerous times unti the lights came on. It maybe took ~10 times of depressing the brake, where as the first time I only depressed the brakes 3 or 4 times. Sure enough the lights on the dash came on and the brake lights flickered a bit and went out with the brake depressed. I depressed the brake again and the lights did the same thing, flickered then went out with the brake depressed. To double check, I rebooted the car. The dash lights were off until I depressed the brakes ~10 times again. The dash lights were on again and the brake lights did the same, flickered and then went out.

At this point a preliminary diagnosis is the brake light switch not functioning. I will try to change it out tomorrow evening. I will post what happens.

Oh, and I guess I can call Rennlist my Durametric until I get one.

Thanks,
CSbox03s
Old 08-24-2008, 04:32 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

Problem solved . . . . .Bought a new brake light swtich. Went to go replace it and checked out procudure in shop manual. The first thing it says is to try resetting the plunger in the relay prior to replacing the switch. This is done by depressing the brake, pushing in the plunger and turning it 90 degrees. Apparently this "plunger", which is self setting, can get stuck and needs to be reset. It worked! Drove about 60 miles the next day without any lights coming on. Now I have an extra brake light switch.

Thanks to all for the help,
CSbox03s
Old 08-25-2008, 03:17 AM
MTB
Racer

Can you post the part # for the brake light switch? thx
Old 09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
CSbox03s
Intermediate

MTB . . . .I apologize for the delay in posting the part number for the brake light switch!

Here it is: 996 613 113 02

By the way, drove for about 2.5 hours with no lights on the dash.

Thanks again,
CSbox03s
Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM
bk12
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CSbox03s
MTB . . . .I apologize for the delay in posting the part number for the brake light switch!

Here it is: 996 613 113 02

By the way, drove for about 2.5 hours with no lights on the dash.

Thanks again,
CSbox03s
2.5 hours...glad to see you are getting out to keep the rig from dryrotting

Quick Reply: Cross Post: "PSM Off" and "ABS" light's on - what to do?!