996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Man sues Porsche over blown engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 11:12 AM
spender
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although there have been some catastrophic engine failures in 996s for sure (and I don't mean to minimize the pain and expense that some forum members have had), there are reasons to be suspicious that this is more than a rare occurrence. There is a great article in the Flat 6 magazine (from France) about the alleged engine problems in the 3.4L models - and it raises a few good points. The best one is that if the engine problems were so big, and if Porsche did have to replace a ton of engines, there would be quite a few on the market right now with non-matching engine and frame serial numbers. As someone who was just in the market for one for 4 months over the summer until I found one, I did not encounter this problem once. Calgary's top independent Porsche mechanic has said that he has NEVER seen the IMS issue with a 996 engine (although he has had it once on a 997).

All of that being said, the one thing that has raised questions for me about the engine issues is the LACK of any meaningful legal action in the U.S. I mean, you guys sue for everything and anything. Toyota was deluged with lawsuits (many of which it paid out huge sums to settle) over an issue that everyone now says never existed. So, if this issue was so widespread, why were there not more lawsuits? And don't give me that line about Porsche corporation being so big and powerful that they can suppress these with hush funds - if Toyota couldn't do that, then Porsche wouldn't have been able to either. I have yet to be able to find even one semi-serious class action about this.

Anyway, this thread is an interesting read.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issues aren't something that is solved with a Gavel..
Old 11-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Question for Jake: What is your experiance concerning location of these issues. I mean are you seeing more from hot states amd less from colder area's or does external temp's not seem to play a roll?
Old 11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tbred911
you just jinxed yourself.... do you think your car will actually start tomorrow?
Well, now that you mention it, the car has not been used since my last post....I never left my house over the Holidays & it was raining today so I drove my truck to work.....supposed to be raining tomorrow as well.
Guess I will find out Wednesday!

- Cam
Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Question for Jake: What is your experiance concerning location of these issues. I mean are you seeing more from hot states amd less from colder area's or does external temp's not seem to play a roll?
No, We've seen equal failures from each area.

I've dealt with the issues spanning from climates in Arizona clear to Russia.

Quick Reply: Man sues Porsche over blown engine