Sponsored by:

Help me select my projects

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Dominick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Dominic - Doing it piecemeal helped control the cost, but in the end I realized that I should have just gone with the entire aero kit from the start, as sourcing the parts can take a lot of time and energy. Getting then at lower cost can take time. I'f I'd bought the entire kit in one batch from Sunset Porsche I probably would not have paid that much more than what I've paid to date... that being said, it all depends on how much you spend on paint and installation.
Good point. Besides I'm probably too impatient to wait. i think Im best off saving up and doing the entire aero in one shot.. Body motion in NJ quoted me $7500 parts, paint & install for the entire OEM kit
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominick
Good point. Besides I'm probably too impatient to wait. i think Im best off saving up and doing the entire aero in one shot.. Body motion in NJ quoted me $7500 parts, paint & install for the entire OEM kit
IMHO that is 2x more than I paid... I started collecting parts over the winter time.

Front new bumper $950 ... dps
Taco wing used $900 ... ebay
Side skirts new $750 .... dps
Paint $1000

installed it myself... very easy. I can help you put it on.. if you want.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:03 AM
Dominick
Racer

How do the mixed (OEM and aftermaket ) parts look together? Do you have any handling issues at highway speeds
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Thanks everyone for your insight.

I just got a quote for $1100 (parts and Labor) for a stage 1 upgrade. They said it will lower the car about 1" front and rear and give a 20% stiffer ride
Be careful on the suspension upgrade. If you just replace springs so it sits lower, it may shorten your shocks' life and change your handling. Search this board on suspension upgrade so you get the correct set up.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Dominick
Racer

Originally Posted by chsu74
Be careful on the suspension upgrade. If you just replace springs so it sits lower, it may shorten your shocks' life and change your handling. Search this board on suspension upgrade so you get the correct set up.
They also quoted me $3500 (parts and labor) for PSS10, but that might be more then I need since I plan on very little if any track time.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:37 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

They also quoted me $3500 (parts and labor) for PSS10, but that might be more then I need since I plan on very little if any track time.
Your shop seems pricy. I would shop around. I paid $1850 shipped for PSS9s and $750 for installation which included 2 alignments because I lowered it twice.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:56 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by manny_g
unless your car has something so unique that attracts you to it, i would save the cash and buy yourself a newer model. imo does not make alot of sense spending 10k on a seven year old car.
Isn't this the reason we are all on this board? If you're like me (and I suspect a lot of our other members) mod the car! When I looked at a 997, my problem was not buying the car, but the $20k extra to get it like I wanted.
There's deals to be had. I paid $600 for a new ROW M030 and also got a deal on some wheels and tires from a RL member. You may want to check DPS who also paint factory aero parts.
www.dps-motorsports.com
Old 07-28-2008, 12:01 PM
Dominick
Racer

can anyone recommend places in the NY/NJ area that do suspensions and aero kits?
Old 07-28-2008, 02:37 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

How do the mixed (OEM and aftermaket ) parts look together? Do you have any handling issues at highway speeds
if this was directed at me... the kit I mentioned are all oem, no issues with handling.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Dominick
Racer

Sorry redridge - I forgot that DPS offers OEM
Old 07-28-2008, 05:21 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No wonder you have to think twice with the prices you get. Change shops cause they're after you. Look around the net and you'll be able to get a close to new PSS9 or 10 for a little over 1K. As for aero, check ebay or other places but I'm sure you can get the entire kit for 2K plus paint.

Good luck
Old 07-31-2008, 09:05 AM
Dominick
Racer

Just ordered the OEM aero kit from Dayton at DPS
They had it on ebay as a OEM front bumper and skirts with factory replica rear deck lid.

Im looking at 3 body shops in the area and any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Madison Avenue Coach Works - in Dumont NJ
Protosport - Pompton plains - NJ
Body Motion - redbank - already quoted me $2000 - (seems high)
Old 07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting the best price for parts is one thing but as for paint, I would go with recommendation rather then price. I have learned the hard way with a ''cheap'' paint job. Especially with the front bumper that kept flaking off.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

They had it on ebay as a OEM front bumper and skirts with factory replica rear deck lid.

Im looking at 3 body shops in the area and any feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Let me know how you do on the body shop quotes, I am ordering all my Aerokit parts this week, maybe we can get a 2 for 1 deal
Seriously!

Last edited by Marc Gelefsky; 07-31-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:41 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

I was very pleased with the parts that I got from DPS (I ordered mine painted). In fact I'm currently waiting for my rear spoiler to arrive from him. He's not the fastest in the world and he's always full of excuses as to why he doesn't deliver on promises, but he does eventually deliver.

I emailed him last night waiting for the excuse of the week as to why I've not recieved shipment notification when he promised it last friday (for the 3rd consecutive week). When I ordered the parts he promised delivery in 2 weeks... I'm on week 5 and counting right now. He promised 3 weeks on the orginal aero kit delivery and I believe that took 8 weeks.

It will be interesting to see what excuse he comes up with this time for the part not having shipped yet... and he wonders why there are so many people on Rennlist that get frustrated with his tardy delivery practices - it really taints the good things that he does.

Quick Reply: Help me select my projects