Sponsored by:

Transmission question regarding Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by htny
90% of the problems have to do with damage to wiring, pins, or the ETC itself, either from impact, broken mounts, or from leaking trans fluid wicking up into the transmission control module.
Hans, do you know if the control module is available as a replacement part if it has been damaged by leaking fluid? The dealer told me I have some sort of internal leak but my indy mechanic hasn't taken a look yet.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Spot on Hans, most of them I have seen only have solenoid/electrical gremlins, the mechanics of them usually are good unless ran low on fluid.

Another source for rebuilds and very cheap is:

* http://www.europeantransmissions.com/

P.S. - *don't know of any feedback good or bad
Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Another note is more than likely if an electrical gremling; solenoid, harness, modules, etc., you probably will not have to have the trans removed as a lot of the components is above the fluid pan.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mtl911sc
Hans, do you know if the control module is available as a replacement part if it has been damaged by leaking fluid? The dealer told me I have some sort of internal leak but my indy mechanic hasn't taken a look yet.
Once again, my experience is not with the TipS application, but I would imagine you could order one from Porsche. The exterior enclosure of the ETC may vary. Call up Sunset or Suncoast and give them your VIN, they'll give you the part number and price if it's available here or from Germany. FYI, the likely number is (1) 996 618 180 07 CONTROL UNIT TIPTRONIC SEE TECHNICAL INFORMATION GR. 3 , NR. 6/02 02 1 M 249 $1753.69 but you really need to speak with a dealer about your specific car.

Before you do that though, inspect the control module for evidence of contamination, spots of fluid etc. If clean and throwing no trans codes to the OBD port, you probably don't have an issue a the ETC. however if you do see evidence and want to repair fluid damage it's just a matter of opening, cleaning with Electronic Cleaner, air drying with a fan (no heat guns!) and reinstalling. Then you have to stop the leak at the source, and if it's in the ETC then the leak is 99.99% from a collar down by the pan where the cable harness plugs into the shift control module, and an updated part should be available for very cheap.

Most 722.6 trans don't come with a dipstick for fluid, but a tool can be ordered from anybody, MB, Chrysler, assuming Porsche etc. I've seen tools from MB and Chrysler and they are the same. Looks like a long piece of metal with a big red handle (shocking I know) and does NOT insert all the way into the filler tube. To be safe order one from porsche if they sell. Make sure you measure the trans fluid level when at operating temperature, car running, shifter in neutral or park. Use an infrared thermometer to measure the temperature, and read the level off the tool.

Some final notes, in my research tonight I can confirm that all the 02+ cars are 722.6 MB transmissions, however the part numbers are different (as they should be, 4wd / 2wd). The C2 should have an A96.10 and the C4 should have an A96.35. The 01 turbo had A96.50 but it's unclear whether or not the 02+ turbos are A96.50s or 35s. The A96.50 almost had to be a 722.6 W5A 580 as 580 Nm is from my memory the highest capacity AWD trans MB made back then and the only one capable of handling the turbo's torque rating. This also means that the TipS in the Carreras either doesn't have the same torque rating as the turbo or is otherwise differently configured, maybe different gearing. Adrian or Loren should be able to confirm for you. The below list seems to confirm my reading of this however the number of gears seems to include reverse! If anyone has an 02+ shop manual they want to email me a link to, I can confirm how closely the shift plate resembles the ones I've seen for this trans before .

A96 Porsche Automatic Getriebe für Typ 911 Carrera (996)
A96/00 6 Gang Automatic Getriebe für Typ 911 Carrera (996)
A96/10 6 Gang Automatic Getriebe für Typ 911 Carrera (996) ab 2002
A96/35 6 Gang Automatic Getriebe für Typ 911 Carrera (996) ab 2002
A96/50 6 Gang Automatic Getriebe für Typ 911 Turbo (996) ab 2002

What work did the dealer do to determine that there was an internal leak?

Is the trans giving you any codes at the OBD port? If so please post.

Last edited by htny; 07-17-2008 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tippy
Another note is more than likely if an electrical gremling; solenoid, harness, modules, etc., you probably will not have to have the trans removed as a lot of the components is above the fluid pan.
100% right, the electronics are going to be in a separate module away from the trans, and are intended to be "dry". There will also be another shift control module inside the pan but outside of the trans case which houses the solenoids and some logic which are "wet", subject to fluid.

If you have to go into the case, you are screwed with a capital F, these things don't repair easily when the internals go. You need to buy a unit out of a wreck or be able to turn your own wrenches if you need to go inside, the cost to explore inside the trans case is going to be stratospheric otherwise.

Last edited by htny; 07-17-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 AM
mtl911sc
Instructor

What work did the dealer do to determine that there was an internal leak?

Is the trans giving you any codes at the OBD port? If so please post.
The dealer was vague - reading directly from my invoice: "verified fluid level, according to procedure there is an internal leak in the transmission. Transmission needs to be changed." So I assume the tech was going by the diagnostic in the service manual, although no specific location of the leak was specified.

They only accounted for code P0701 "Transmission slips" but I believe that's an engine code and not from the Tiptronic unit itself.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM
htny
Three Wheelin'

The dealer was vague - reading directly from my invoice: "verified fluid level, according to procedure there is an internal leak in the transmission. Transmission needs to be changed." So I assume the tech was going by the diagnostic in the service manual, although no specific location of the leak was specified.

They only accounted for code P0701 "Transmission slips" but I believe that's an engine code and not from the Tiptronic unit itself.
you wouldn't happen to be Paul, PMc4S on renntech would you?

As I understand it, P0701 at OBD port is Transmission Control System, not a ratio/gear code (those are generally P073x), and should be accompanied by sub codes. The same codes are thrown by the ETC to the OBD, they just can't be reset by an OBD reader, need a real tool for that. you need to go out and spend 50 bucks on a code reader, or a couple hundred for a durametric, and drill down on the codes. I'm no sure whether Durametric resets tiptronic codes yet, they were still working on this last time I checked, call them, great people. Knowledge is definitely power here, knowing the exact information from the port could mean the difference between a 100 dollar repair and a $10K nightmare.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:58 AM
mtl911sc
Instructor

you wouldn't happen to be Paul, PMc4S on renntech would you?
Busted

Yes that would be me. Didn't intend to cross-post but I wanted to make others aware that Tips do in fact have issues, hopefully none of the terminal kind however.

According to the Durametric site they support Tiptronic up to 2001, later series is under development. Guess I'll have to call them.

Thanks for the support everyone, and cheers to you Hans. Without the info I found on these forums I would be completely at the mercy of those who simply shrug and claim I need a transmission swap. It may turn out that way in the end, but at least it won't be result of ignorance.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:43 AM
mtl911sc
Instructor

Didn't dive deep enough into Durametric's website - seems 2001+ Tips are now covered :

"Version 5.0.11
April 22nd 2008

Improvement
Added 2001+ 996 Tiptronic support include reading and clearing codes, and reseting adaptation "
Old 07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Ok Hans, we are switching screen names
Old 07-17-2008, 01:40 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

haha
Old 07-17-2008, 01:46 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Didn't dive deep enough into Durametric's website - seems 2001+ Tips are now covered :

"Version 5.0.11
April 22nd 2008

Improvement
Added 2001+ 996 Tiptronic support include reading and clearing codes, and reseting adaptation "
that's good news! looks like i'll be buying a durametric.

and don't worry, I'll be bugging you when I need help with a 930/915 trans, which may be very soon (my recall only goes back as far as G50)
Old 07-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Tippy
Race Car

that's good news! looks like i'll be buying a durametric.

and don't worry, I'll be bugging you when I need help with a 930/915 trans, which may be very soon (my recall only goes back as far as G50)
My G-50 has held to 460-480 ft/lbs of power shifting. But, the 930 I believe is said to be stronger but you loose that low 1st gear comparing to the G-50.
Old 07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

yeah the G50 in certain trim can be a monster!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:28 AM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Just a data point: my '99 Tip tranny died a collateral damage death at 81,000 miles.
It seemed to be working well to that point.

Quick Reply: Transmission question regarding Tiptronic