convertable tops - life span & other questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Kolshak
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertable tops - life span & other questions

Hey there
My plastic rear window is separating from the top on MY01. I’m considering the options of getting a new window installed by an upholstery shop for ~$500, or getting a new top for 1450. Since my top is in very good condition & car is garaged with low miles I normally wouldn’t consider a new one, but (according to some old threads about this topic) the average life span of a convertible top is only 6 to 9 years. If the top really needs replacing in a few years, I’d bite the bullet and do it now…maybe even get the glass window.

Does anyone know what goes wrong with these tops requiring replacement (aside from crummy rear plastic window design)?

Can I get the top “serviced” and try to determine remaining useful life?

If I get a new top, would a 7-year-old top in good condition (aside from blown rear window) have any resale value?

thanks for your opinions
Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Join the club. That makes 3 of us in the same area. I can't tell if my top is going bad, I mean it doesn't leak nor have any rips in it. $1450 is a pretty good price, I was quoted $1800+.

Originally Posted by Kolshak
Hey there
My plastic rear window is separating from the top on MY01. I’m considering the options of getting a new window installed by an upholstery shop for ~$500, or getting a new top for 1450. Since my top is in very good condition & car is garaged with low miles I normally wouldn’t consider a new one, but (according to some old threads about this topic) the average life span of a convertible top is only 6 to 9 years. If the top really needs replacing in a few years, I’d bite the bullet and do it now…maybe even get the glass window.

Does anyone know what goes wrong with these tops requiring replacement (aside from crummy rear plastic window design)?

Can I get the top “serviced” and try to determine remaining useful life?

If I get a new top, would a 7-year-old top in good condition (aside from blown rear window) have any resale value?

thanks for your opinions
Old 07-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Evidently their was a TSB about this problem in 2004 so it's not surprising lots of people have this problem - just annoying.
If you don't mind going to Gaithersburg to get yours repaired, PM me for contact info of the upholstry shop I talked to. My indie recommended them highly.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Peter Serbanica
Track Day

<edit>Selling commercial goods/services without a sponsorship.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-09-2016 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Selling commercial goods/services without a sponsorship.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

if you plan on keeping the car for a long time, i would suggest replacing the entire top and get one with the glass insert. if not keeping the car take it to a good upholstery shop and get the plastic replaced. that's what i did and sold the car a year later. one of the problems that i had on my 01, is that the seals started to give resulting in small leaks. the dealer tried to fix with new seals, but did not have much success.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:47 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Porsche now makes a top with the rear window sewn in from the factory, but it lists for $3800 +installation. After 3 unsuccessful attempts (by a dealer with experience) at installing a brand new window in a brand new top on my cab, I am now getting the factory sewn in top. I think the best you will do with an upholstery shop is have them sew in a window from the outside, and it looks rather bad in my opinion. Try a search on some of my recent posts on the topic...
Old 07-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by manny_g
one of the problems that i had on my 01, is that the seals started to give resulting in small leaks. the dealer tried to fix with new seals, but did not have much success.
Manny -
Which seals were leaking on the top? Guess this is one reason the avg lifespan may only be 6 years.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2008, 03:42 AM
PorscheRealtor
AutoX

I replaced my 00 top after in 2007. My window came unglued and needed replacement. The top itself was starting to show wear so I replaced the whole thing. $1450 isn't bad. I paid about $200 more.

You might consider choosing a different color top than you had before. It gives your car a new custom look. If you change colors, make sure they include the upholstry that covers the rear deck so it all matches.

Also, make sure you get a warranty from the installer. After the new cover was installed, there were problems with the liner. The installer had to take it off, order a new top and install the new one. That's a lot of labor! Ask your installer what their policy is for problems like that. My guy did it at no charge because he's a good guy. But I don't think he made much profit on this job because he basically replaced 2 covers for the price of one. He gets all my referrals in Northern California though! Alex is the best!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:50 AM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheRealtor
I replaced my 00 top after in 2007. My window came unglued and needed replacement. The top itself was starting to show wear so I replaced the whole thing. $1450 isn't bad. I paid about $200 more.

You might consider choosing a different color top than you had before. It gives your car a new custom look. If you change colors, make sure they include the upholstry that covers the rear deck so it all matches.

Also, make sure you get a warranty from the installer. After the new cover was installed, there were problems with the liner. The installer had to take it off, order a new top and install the new one. That's a lot of labor! Ask your installer what their policy is for problems like that. My guy did it at no charge because he's a good guy. But I don't think he made much profit on this job because he basically replaced 2 covers for the price of one. He gets all my referrals in Northern California though! Alex is the best!
where is your installer located?
Old 07-25-2008, 07:12 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I forgot about this post.. Maybe we can get a group deal..

Originally Posted by djantlive
where is your installer located?
Old 07-25-2008, 10:18 AM
Kolshak
Racer

Originally Posted by PorscheRealtor

Just had mine replaced and went from black to a beautiful dark blue color.
It hurt having to cough-up $1600 to replace a top in good condition (aside from the unglued rear window) but the new color scheme takes the sting away.

Quick Reply: convertable tops - life span & other questions