Sponsored by:

Bad smell in the A/C - and a question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:38 AM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Bad smell in the A/C - and a question

I began to have a musty smell in the car when using the A/C this season, so i bought a can of Wurth "odor remover " from Autogeek. Decided to spray into the air intake where the carbon filter is under the hood, and low and behold, there is a pool of stagnant water and debris plugging the drainage holes on either side of the battery. Washed this area and flushed the drain holes - odor gone
Question - after i removed the plastic covers, i found a 1/4 inch clear plastic hose that was disconnected, running along side of the A/C pipe to the left of the battery, just in front of the carbon filter.
Does anyone know where it goes?
Thanks
Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 AM
David A
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Replace the pollen filter too, it should help.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Last Car
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the hose for the windshield washer??
I also found that the two 'holes' were plugged but cleaned them before A/C time came around.
C'ya,
Patrick
Old 07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Gretch
Range Master
Pepsie Lite
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,235 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by lic265
I began to have a musty smell in the car when using the A/C this season, so i bought a can of Wurth "odor remover " from Autogeek. Decided to spray into the air intake where the carbon filter is under the hood, and low and behold, there is a pool of stagnant water and debris plugging the drainage holes on either side of the battery. Washed this area and flushed the drain holes - odor gone
Question - after i removed the plastic covers, i found a 1/4 inch clear plastic hose that was disconnected, running along side of the A/C pipe to the left of the battery, just in front of the carbon filter.
Does anyone know where it goes?
Thanks
It (The 1.4 inch hose) attaches to the battery and vents gas and overflow acid out of the boot. One other tip re the ac. There is a tray under the AC unit in the passenger foot well. On the left rear side of it is a black rubber tube that drains the condensation from the AC unit out of the tub. I can get plugged with schmutz. When it does, the condensation overflows on to the footwell carpet. The tube can be run out with a snake or using compressed air works pretty well too.

Quick Reply: Bad smell in the A/C - and a question