996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Oil Cap and Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 06:24 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have NO vacuum through the oil filler tube on my 99.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
Pat - the idle difference in mine was extremely noticeable and it would die within about 2 seconds when removing the oil cap. After I installed the new one, the idle barely changed with the oil cap off. There was a slight, I mean very slight vacuum when you cupped your hand over the filler neck. Before, with the ruptured one, it felt like it would suck your hand into the filler neck.

Slight vauum draw with little idle change (maybe ~50-100 RPM) is normal, drastic idle change with large draw, AOS is more than likely is dead . GL

You are correct. With a properly working system, there really should be no measurable vacuum in the crankcase. The idle may or may not change very slightly and will eventually balance out (usually higher) when you remove the oil cap. The cooler the ambient temperature is, the more idle change you may experience. For those who have a vacuum level that can actuallly be felt when removing the oil cap....you have a problem and are probably using alot of oil. There is also a problem if your car stalls when removing the cap.

Last edited by 1999Porsche911; 06-27-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:13 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the local stealership tell me that the vacuum from a dead AOS would lead to RMS weepage, so they 'recommended' me doing the RMS at the same time..

No **** for the extra $1000 - what a croc.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 AM
salayc
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
If the diaphram is ruptured inside the AOS, removing the oil cap WILL affect idle.
That's what happened with mine.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:10 AM
Garage19builds
Advanced

Received 72 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Help/Info

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You are correct. With a properly working system, there really should be no measurable vacuum in the crankcase. The idle may or may not change very slightly and will eventually balance out (usually higher) when you remove the oil cap. The cooler the ambient temperature is, the more idle change you may experience. For those who have a vacuum level that can actuallly be felt when removing the oil cap....you have a problem and are probably using alot of oil. There is also a problem if your car stalls when removing the cap.
Thoughts on the following please. 1999 cable car. The cars idle is normal, however stalls when you brake, push in the clutch come to a light the rpms fall normally but drop to the point of stalling. Always starts right back up no issues. If I remove the oil er cap my idle increases to about 800 at idle never stalls runs normally idles constantly smooth up or down. Car once shut off hot or cold takes 3 tries before it will start with cap off. No smoke ever no codes or check engine lights. Also I have vacuum/ suction with cap off on . I pulled my TB off it was clean no residue clean , pulled the ICV same thing. I believe I have more of a vacuum issue than Aos but not sure. Im also havent seen any difference in oil levles, conditiin quality, and zero smoke any time with or without cap . Thoughts or what to look at first is much appreciated thank you

Last edited by Garage19builds; 09-06-2022 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Cap and Idle