Sponsored by:

Windshield Repair Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:04 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Repair Kits

Hey on my wifes Audi A4 she has two small rock chips. Thought about attempting to fix myself with DIY home repair kits? Has anyone tried them before and recommend any?

I found, http://www.amazon.com/tag/windshield...cust_itdp_bn_t

Not sure if worth it. I am told my auto insurance will take care of it. Not sure if I want a claim on my file.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:48 PM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

Your insurance won't put a claim to repair a rock chip- most will do it for free to avoid the replacement windshield, which will result in a claim. Seasonal occurrence here in CO! I replace all 3 annually.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
rleeq
Racer

Experience and the correct equipment will make the difference. Let the pros do it for free.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:49 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I have done several with the Auto Zone type kits. Seem to work ok.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:23 PM
mdillian3690
Instructor

Called ins and put a claim. while they tell me no points against record and no increase to premium. I should not expect a decrease either. Figures.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most of the insurers will send out a glass guy 0 deductible, I think this is a nice benefit and at least you get a nice guilt fee recoupment of some of those premiums !
Old 06-28-2008, 04:03 AM
linadlin
6th Gear

I just did three repairs over the last 2 months for three separate cars. I used the kit from Kragen with the syringe .... and it works like a charm. I repaired it on my 996, 330i and my mother-in-law's Civic. Before the repair it was a noticeable star shape but now its a very tiny dot that is hardly visible. But I followed the instructions religiously. Good Luck.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:30 AM
spender
Pro

I've got a small rock chip in my windshield that I am most concerned about spreading, more than anything else. It's sort of a big pain to go to the glass places right now - so I am thinking about using a home kit for that reason. While the results and reviews on the Internet seem to be mixed, I find that often the people that complain about things not working correctly are people that shouldn't be doing DIY in the first place. On that note, is there anyone here who knows what they're doing (and I think linadlin sounds trustworthy for sure) who can speak to their experiences with a home kit?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM
spender
Pro

I used the Permatex Windshield Repair Kit from Walmart today, and I have to say, I was impressed. It clearly isn't rocket surgery (as famous Canadian Don Cherry butchers the phrase) to repair windshields! Certainly, every time I've ever brought in a car for a windshield repair, the guy who does the rock chip kits is typically (in appearance, anyway) the most junior guy in the shop. I've found over the years that if I've got the tools and the time, I far prefer doing repairs at home myself - I take my time and am much more concerned about getting a great result on my car than some guy in a shop making minimum wage. Also, glass insurance doesn't really exist up here in Canada, or is prohibitively expensive for Porsches...

Anyway, the Permatex kit is a remarkably well-assembled kit. Not only is it perfectly tailored for its task (one rock chip repair per $15 kit), each part of it is perfectly engineered for its purpose (it's all custom-made parts) - and it also has a very well-made "how to" video online.

Like the prior poster, I followed the instructions religiously. It does take about an hour to do it start to finish (much of that is "hurry up and wait" time, including the time required for curing the repair in the sunlight), but the result I achieved (for my first ever repair) was definitely equivalent to professional shops - the chip/starburst just disappeared. Seriously - you can only find where it was if you look with a flashlight!

So, obviously, I'm a convert - this is a great kit, and if you follow the instructions and you have the right kind of chip, you'll get a great repair. If you don't have glass insurance coverage, this is a great kit to get. Recommended!!
Old 11-06-2011, 09:36 PM
tarzancoe
Instructor

If by any chance you are in SoCal, OC, LA, PM me, I have the best guy to fix windshields, and he goes where you are for around $75. He fixed a golf ball size impact, driver's side. Took him 3 hours... charged the same. After 1 year and subfreezing temps, still perfect.

Originally Posted by mdillian3690
Hey on my wifes Audi A4 she has two small rock chips. Thought about attempting to fix myself with DIY home repair kits? Has anyone tried them before and recommend any?

I found, http://www.amazon.com/tag/windshield...cust_itdp_bn_t

Not sure if worth it. I am told my auto insurance will take care of it. Not sure if I want a claim on my file.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:51 AM
JAMCGH123
2nd Gear

Default best professional windshield repair kit

If you're looking to fix those rock chips on your wife's Audi A4, I highly recommend investing in the best professional windshield repair kit. While DIY kits can seem like a cost-effective option, they often fall short in delivering a high-quality repair that lasts. Using a high-quality kit, like the ones available from Crack Eraser, can give you the assurance that your windshield is properly repaired and will last for years to come. Plus, you won't have to worry about filing a claim on your auto insurance, which can potentially increase your rates. Give it a try and see the difference for yourself!

Quick Reply: Windshield Repair Kits