996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

DME help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 12:47 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I do not know how they defeated the immobilizer, but I guessed they jumpered something at the immobilizer, "

NOT POSSIBLE!!!!!!

"The fact that the car turns over suggests to me that this system isn't the problem and you should be looking elsewhere."

Actually, it's very simple to bypass the immobilizer to get the engine to crank.
The key is to bypass the communication between the DME ECM and the
immobilizer ECU, i.e. the code checking/sync between them. If that doesn't
occur, then the DME ECM will not enter the "run" mode and generate spark
and injection.

"but we have not tried it as the DME must be programmed to match the chassis and once you do that, it can't be reprogrammed for another car per my understanding"

Actually, the DME ECM can be recoded (reprogrammed) for another after coded for the initial VIN.

Bottom line: Without fully checking all necessary inputs, then the troubleshooting
effort amounts to a "dart game". Maybe time to find a very knowledgeable Porsche shop.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this is something that the company who modified the DME needs to be asked and them only. If they made the custom mods to the DME, they should know of the possible issues this causes.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:20 PM
jadduncan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3 months later, and the DME is still causing problems. It was sent to GIAC who "fixed" the DME, but after repeated calls have never been able to tell me what they fixed. Put the fixed DME in and it generally starts, though a 75% success rate is not what I am looking for.

I just want to buy a STOCK DME that can be programmed to start a racecar (ie no airbags and bypassed immobilizer). I have not been able to get an answer from anyone as to whether this is possible. Can anyone build me a completely stock unit, so all the Porsche test equipment can be hooked up, that will work? Seems like a simple question, but no one has answered. Please help if you can.

Quick Reply: DME help needed