996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

how important to do a brake flush?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:40 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC the ATE Type 200 amber fluid is OEM for Porsche and has the wet and dry boiling points as ATE Super Blue. Only difference is color. If you're worried about staining the reservoir, use the Type 200.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
67FJ45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I own 2 track cars and would NEVER go racing without flushing the brake system each time before I go out for the weekend. Some weekends on tight twisty tracks I flush it once over the weekend. Just not worth the risk.
+1

I can only speak about my local PCA club rules, but for DEs, both clubs require the brake fluid to have been replaced within the past 6 months, and high performance fluid is strongly recommended.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Some misinformation in this thread;

Originally Posted by Meister Fahrer
Corrosion due to moisture in the fluid can also affect ABS sensors, then you've got a panic stop and no ABS.... plus a bigger repair bill to replace them.
The abs sensors are in no way connected to the fluid, and will not be harmed by infrequent fluid changes.

Originally Posted by PJorgen
IIRC the ATE Type 200 amber fluid is OEM for Porsche and has the wet and dry boiling points as ATE Super Blue. Only difference is color. If you're worried about staining the reservoir, use the Type 200.
The Porsche factory fill brake fluid IS indeed manufactured by ATE, however it does NOT have the same boiling points as the ATE super blue racing fluid. In fact, the rated temperatures are a bit lower. I compared them just two days ago.

About the stain, I've used ATE super blue on Porsches and BMWs that I've tracked over the last 6 years or so, I have yet to notice a stain. I would suggest using the ATE Gold (racing fluid) if you're concerned with the fluid's color, that actually does carry the same temperature ratings as the Super Blue fluid.
Ahmet
Old 06-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by smankow
just a few quick points. there is a difference between bleeding and flushing the system. Flushing is replacing the fluid where bleeding is letting out a little to check/remove air bubbles.

During track weekends, I'll bleed the system at the end of the day. If you're using quality fluid, there is NO REASON to change it over the weekend unless you are experiencing braking issues. If that's the case, you should reconsider the brake fluid that you're using.

Steve
AP600 the best I have found and yes I run a full reservoir at least of fluid while bleeding the track cars. Again...NOT worth the risk to me.

Last edited by Steven C.; 06-12-2008 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Yoops Racing
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did mine -fluid was very dark. Now it is clear and better pedal pressure
Old 06-12-2008, 05:17 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be done once a year, whether driven or not. Take a look at brake fluid after 2 years and you will understand why simple by the discoloration.

If you track your car then it should be done at least every 6 months.

Even running RBF600 and PF01 pads, I work my brakes so hard I still tend to boil my brake fluid at least once a weekend. Switching to RBF660 has helped, but I still at least bleed my brakes once every track weekend.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:02 AM
lanny
Racer

I took mine in a month or so ago for an oil change and the writer called about my fluid not being Porsche brand and when it was last changed ect. Since I wasnt sure I ok'd the $125 and wondered if I just got put together for something I didnt need- very nice to read this thread- always learning something new!!
Old 06-14-2008, 08:39 AM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

Default off topic

Originally Posted by exophthalmos
going to have my 15k service done on my 04' c4s. a reputable indy shop recommended a brake flush as well. how important is it, and what is it for? sorry im not a mechanical guy!

john
Based on your screen name I am thinking you are in eye care?
Old 06-14-2008, 06:13 PM
exophthalmos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Idocdes

Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 PM
exophthalmos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Idocdes
Old 06-14-2008, 09:13 PM
smankow
Pro

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
It should be done once a year, whether driven or not. Take a look at brake fluid after 2 years and you will understand why simple by the discoloration.

If you track your car then it should be done at least every 6 months.

Even running RBF600 and PF01 pads, I work my brakes so hard I still tend to boil my brake fluid at least once a weekend. Switching to RBF660 has helped, but I still at least bleed my brakes once every track weekend.
what run group are you in? If you're boiling fluid on a regular basis, you may be doing something wrong. And, working the brakes so hard? why? you may need to rethink your driving style.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
^^^^^ what smankow said ^^^^^

If this is the case, you need some on-track instruction. You are either over-braking or just simply braking incorrectly if, in a 996 with your modifications, you boil fluid at least once per DE. This is a driver issue, not an equipment issue.

smankow, he has somehow found his way into the advanced run group.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:21 AM
JDSStudios
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a DIY link with proper instructions and tips?
Old 07-07-2008, 05:32 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Pay $40 for a motive bleeder and bleed to you heart's content
It's very easy. I bled my clutch too and it seems to work better. Bleeding/flushing is really pretty simple and can be done pretty fast. Jacking the car and taking off the wheels is the most time consuming part of this DYI.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:14 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by pat056
Pay $40 for a motive bleeder and bleed to you heart's content
It's very easy. I bled my clutch too and it seems to work better. Bleeding/flushing is really pretty simple and can be done pretty fast. Jacking the car and taking off the wheels is the most time consuming part of this DYI.
yeah, you'd HAVE to flush the clutch line too since they share the same reservoir.

Quick Reply: how important to do a brake flush?