Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone have trouble shifting into 3rd gear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 03:16 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Question Anyone have trouble shifting into 3rd gear?

Rennlisters,

Im having an issue shifting into 3rd gear... I noticed it mostly when under WOT, or nearly WOT, and making a quick 2-3 shift - where the lever would seem to get "stuck" between 3rd and 5th. Today I had the same issue driving under very light throttle.

I remember reading somewhere about a "3rd gear syncro issue" - and I was wondering if anyone has had this problem...

Thanks!!

Because threads needs pics - here is one from today's Houston Classy Chassis concours...]

Old 06-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Gaspasser19
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Yep, I experience the same "hang up" on occasion but I always though it was driver error. When I'm smooth and deliberate I have no trouble.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply...

yeah, that's what Im thinking too. The only reason I posed the question regarding the syncro issue - is that I plan to install a BM SSK this week, and don't want to later have a tranny issue, and my warranty invalidated b/c of the non-oem SSK.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:06 PM
dresler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have occasional slight clicking into 2nd or 4th, but never 3rd or 5th. I think it is syncro wear.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:05 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this problem too sometimes! Feels like I hit a wall instead of shifting into 3rd! Mostly during WOT (worst time, of course).

What causes this on a tranny that only has 20k miles?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:09 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
What causes this on a tranny that only has 20k miles?
By not revmatching when downshifting into third - that would be the number one reason probably.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

true, but I'm talking about upshifting.

I read a thread somewhere where a guy had his tranny replaced at 20k (!!)
Old 06-09-2008, 07:03 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Malakas
true, but I'm talking about upshifting.
Well, I'm certainly not a Porsche transmission expert, but I didn't think it had different synchros for upshifting and downshifting.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Malakas - this is a common and well known problem. It is normally experienced only by those who track their cars. The 2-3 upshift under heavy load (high RPMS, often with some lateral acceleration) tends to balk if rushed. Porsche teaches the heartbeat method, i.e. clutch in, then pause one heartbeat before moving the lever into 3rd. it works. I also found that changing the transmission oil reduces the incidence of the problem. According to Porsche Motorsports, 996 Cup cars should change transmission fluid every ten hours!

Best,
Old 06-10-2008, 10:29 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Well, I'm certainly not a Porsche transmission expert, but I didn't think it had different synchros for upshifting and downshifting.
El Torrente: Im sorry if my first reply seemed abrupt (hard to post via iPhone). I now understand that you meant that not rev-matching when downshifting will wear the syncros, which later will lead to difficult shifting.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Malakas - this is a common and well known problem. It is normally experienced only by those who track their cars. The 2-3 upshift under heavy load (high RPMS, often with some lateral acceleration) tends to balk if rushed. Porsche teaches the heartbeat method, i.e. clutch in, then pause one heartbeat before moving the lever into 3rd. it works. I also found that changing the transmission oil reduces the incidence of the problem. According to Porsche Motorsports, 996 Cup cars should change transmission fluid every ten hours!

Best,
Great post. Thanks! I will def change the tranny fluid at my next service.

Question: will installing a SSK further exacerbate this issue?? I would imagine with the SSK the shifts are not only shorter, but "faster"... so maybe a 2 heartbeat pause?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:44 AM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just put in the B&M SSK (w/Evoms shift link) on my 02 C2 with 39k miles. No issue at all going into 3rd, hot or cold, any rpm. 1st, as usual per about everyone, is the hardest, meaning more effort, not difficult to find, when cold. All the others just snick wonderfully into place. I love it.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Internal transmission problem would be the LAST thing I would suspect. Check the linkage on the box along with the shifter. Also, do not overlook shifting technic as being the problem.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Jake Ok
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also notice the same problem from 2nd to 3rd in higher RPM shifts after I install the SSK.
Definitely shorter throws but the 2nd to 3rd can be tricky at times. Is there a fix?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Ok
I have also notice the same problem from 2nd to 3rd in higher RPM shifts after I install the SSK.
Definitely shorter throws but the 2nd to 3rd can be tricky at times. Is there a fix?
Yes. See https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/330742-997-gt3-shifter.html
I just did the "upgrade" and I LOVE it! Much less effort than the SSK (I have had the Porshce SSK for 2yrs now). Now shifting is much less conscious. The feel is very very different though. The throw is only a little longer than SSK but shorter and much more precise than stock. It's silk smooth and overall you will shift faster. The other difference is for SSK, at the end of the travel of each gear, you feel a big resistance almost like you hit the plastic shifter assembly but with the 997 stock shifter, there is some buffer/spongness at the end of the travel and I like it. I feel it's less brutal to the gear box.

To improve the SSK 3rd gear shift, the 1 secnod pause trick others pointed out should do the trick.

Quick Reply: Anyone have trouble shifting into 3rd gear?