996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

New M3 better than a 997 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:38 AM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Not an M3, but my 335i is an all around great car comfort wise and particularly performance wise. So much so that I stopped driving my 993 on the street for the most part. The 993 was awesome but inconvenient. BMW has performance sedans that are sports cars, that no one else has been able to replicate. IMO.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Holson
i just sold my 335i coupe, now i'm really torn between getting an 06/07 carrera 2 (not S) or ordering an 09 m3 coupe just the way i want it

on my test drives, i like the 997's gruff sound (especially the sport exhaust), VERY smooooth gearchange, the hid lights, and of course the porsche badge

but i like the m3's sleek looks, smooth yet visceral v8 sound, and its generally more modern feel (especially the 09 with the newer i drive)

i understand that i shouldnt compare a 3/4 yr old one to a new m3.. but the 911 seems like great value at about $10-12k less than the m3 that i want

decisions...
Go drive both REAL hard and just see what feels better to you. I would def take the M3 over a standard 911, but it just fits *my* needs better. I really need to drive a Carrera S and see how I like it now, compared to back when I 1st got my M.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:10 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Originally Posted by 007DT
Not an M3, but my 335i is an all around great car comfort wise and particularly performance wise. So much so that I stopped driving my 993 on the street for the most part. The 993 was awesome but inconvenient. BMW has performance sedans that are sports cars, that no one else has been able to replicate. IMO.
335i is a terrific car, but not anywhere near the class of a 911 or M3.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
The answer is in this statement. They test a sports sedan against two sports cars/GT's and then claim a desire for a comfortable back seat and a trunk.

If that's the criteria, I guess the M3 does win.
Exactly! As nice as the M3 is, it's a compromise. Fast, nice handling, but not a sports car.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

According to Wikepdia:
SPORTS CAR:
A sports car is a term used to describe a class of automobile typically of two seats and two doors with precise handling, brisk acceleration, sharp braking, and attractive aesthetics. A sports car makes trade offs in practical considerations such as passenger space, comfort, and cargo capacity in favor of those traits which enhance the joy of driving it.

SPORTS SEDAN:
A sports sedan or a sports saloon is a descriptive term applied to a sedan automobile that is designed to look and feel "sporty" - offering the driver more connection with the driving experience. Most vehicles in this category overlap with the compact executive car and executive car classifications.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:27 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charlie C
According to Wikepdia:
SPORTS CAR:
A sports car is a term used to describe a class of automobile typically of two seats and two doors with precise handling, brisk acceleration, sharp braking, and attractive aesthetics. A sports car makes trade offs in practical considerations such as passenger space, comfort, and cargo capacity in favor of those traits which enhance the joy of driving it.

SPORTS SEDAN:
A sports sedan or a sports saloon is a descriptive term applied to a sedan automobile that is designed to look and feel "sporty" - offering the driver more connection with the driving experience. Most vehicles in this category overlap with the compact executive car and executive car classifications.
Thanks for the definition..

My point is there are not alot of "Sports Cars" by definition that will out perform BMW's line-up of "Sports Sedans" for the money. Add to it what others have said about the creature comforts and it is hard to compromise the inconvience of a sports car to the convience of a sports sedan when the deparity is minimal...

335i is not an M3 but it also gets 24MPG vs. 14MPG and insurance rating nearly 1/2 the cost. Don't get me wrong all the cars listed are phenomenal pieces of machinery but most of these cars are far beyond the guy behind the wheels ability to push the limits of the car. That said I'd bet a dollar you couldn't get your M3 around my 335i.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:01 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

My point is there are not alot of "Sports Cars" by definition that will out perform BMW's line-up of "Sports Sedans" for the money. Add to it what others have said about the creature comforts and it is hard to compromise the inconvience of a sports car to the convience of a sports sedan when the deparity is minimal...

335i is not an M3 but it also gets 24MPG vs. 14MPG and insurance rating nearly 1/2 the cost. Don't get me wrong all the cars listed are phenomenal pieces of machinery but most of these cars are far beyond the guy behind the wheels ability to push the limits of the car. That said I'd bet a dollar you couldn't get your M3 around my 335i.
Not trying to start a 335i v M3 fight, as there's no way to compare these two cars, but if i wanted good gas mileage and cheaper insurance, I'd buy a Prius.

As far as getting an M3 around a 335i, these two cars shouldn't be compared. Compare 335i to Infiniti G37, to Lexus IS 350, to Audi A4 3.2
Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by arr0gant
Not trying to start a 335i v M3 fight, as there's no way to compare these two cars, but if i wanted good gas mileage and cheaper insurance, I'd buy a Prius.
No you have the better gas milage car vs Prius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc
Old 05-16-2009, 04:08 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

No you have the better gas milage car vs Prius

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydvAQ6Y49vc
Not sure how this makes a point This is an old vid. All it says is if you drive a Prius as hard as you can and pace it with an M3 (which is keeping the RPM's under 4k most all of the way), the Prius get's worse mileage.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:10 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Anyhow, here's a recent thread on 335i owners who moved to M3's. In their own words. http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261964
Old 05-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Dave,
I was by no means knocking the 335i, or the M3 for that matter. I was just pointing out that they are fine cars but not sports cars. I see you have the BEST of both worlds. A sports car and a very fine sports sedan.

I think BMW's are great cars. I used to own a '99 M Roadster.
Charlie
Old 05-16-2009, 06:13 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the BMW's especially as daily drivers; however, for pure sporty driving the 911 will give you more satisfaction.
Old 05-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Meister Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russo
I like the BMW's especially as daily drivers; however, for pure sporty driving the 911 will give you more satisfaction.
Absolutely.

I was messing around with a new M3 a couple weeks ago (on empty highway), and we got to a red light. I told him "nice car" and he yells over "yeah, but a 911 is still better in some ways, this thing doesn't have the same handling response as my old 996. And this thing doesn't have as much torque as you'd think."

He then proceeded to jump the next light, but.... pretty amazing that I could hang with him until I hit the rev lmiter and of course he didn't have to shift for another 1500 rpm.

I'm not sold on the move to V8 power.
I prefer something like the new Audi S4 taking it back to V6 with forced induction....
Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 PM
007DT
Drifting

No Worries, Just Debating....

I'll always have a 911 for a race car. For good Reason!!

Old 05-16-2009, 11:39 PM
htny
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back from beyond! Hey I'm glad to see Gant back posting here even if it's about Munich!

So my big Q, after a long time without the turbo now, what do you think? Keep the M3 and buy something more frivolous for the weekend car? (btw I think you had perfect timing depreciation wise, good move)

I picked up a 2009 528xi this winter to replace an aging A6 for wet weather, and I have to say certain things about current BMW technology (and pricing) are very nice, particularly (and I'm not sure if the 3 platform has it) the active body control type technology they have.

Quick Reply: New M3 better than a 997 911 Turbo?