Sponsored by:

Which exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 AM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust?

Looking to have a better sounding exhaust note over the stock one. Which type of exhaust should I get and do I change out the headers with mufflers? I want more growl.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 AM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

for the Porsche growl go for PSE full install... I just installed it on mine, Im loving it!
Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 AM
exophthalmos
Advanced

Also, you might want to do a search on a 3.4L/3.6L muffler mod, depending on the year of your car. This is known as the poor man's mod. I havent done it yet, but will in a few weeks. will cost you about $200-300 vs. $1800 on the PSE!
Old 05-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

PSE, no doubt!! Its the signature porsche howl!! If only the weight could be trimmed down though.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by seb928s
Looking to have a better sounding exhaust note over the stock one. Which type of exhaust should I get and do I change out the headers with mufflers? I want more growl.
It really depends if you want just a better sound or you are looking for better performance. PSE will only give you better sound. It provides no performance benefit since it uses the same cans as the stock exhaust with a partial bypass. PSE is actually heavier than the stock exhaust, so it actually degrades performance. If you are interested in better perormance, look at a free flowing aftermarket exhaust. My preferences are Fabspeed if you like it quiet most of the time and Tubi if you like it loud. The additional benefit of these exhausts is they will remove 30-40 lbs off the back of your car.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by 02 Carrera
It really depends if you want just a better sound or you are looking for better performance. PSE will only give you better sound. It provides no performance benefit since it uses the same cans as the stock exhaust with a partial bypass. PSE is actually heavier than the stock exhaust, so it actually degrades performance. If you are interested in better perormance, look at a free flowing aftermarket exhaust. My preferences are Fabspeed if you like it quiet most of the time and Tubi if you like it loud. The additional benefit of these exhausts is they will remove 30-40 lbs off the back of your car.
Sorry, but I disagree. That weight is in the right place. Low in the car. Plus its the same weight as the oem, so I dont see a degredation of performance. P engineers also designed that exhaust, so the weight is computed in their design. BUT I do agree with you that I rather have a lighter one.

1 more note, LMN Motorsports here, whos Master Mech's car won the Rolex24 @ Sebring last year hooked up all kinds of exhaust and intakes while 996race car is on dyno. They could barely wring 3 HP from all of these after market systems.

On fabspeed, I like their quality, but the sound is not porsche to me. It does say in their website too that they(the units they sell for our 911s) simulate the Ferari V12 sound. My opinion.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 05-30-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 AM
epegasus
Advanced

1 more note, LMN Motorsports here, whos Master Mech won the Rolex last year hooked up all kinds of exhaust and intakes while 996 is on dyno. They could barely wring 3 HP from all of these after market systems.
This is more typical of what you find when replacing exhaust system on high performance machines. They come highly tuned as it is with fairly free flowing stock exhuast. Normally, the difference between stock and after market is the noise restriction (at EPA testing rpms ranges) not flow restrictions, so much. The stock system squeltches noise by loading the can with sound absorbing material wrapped around a relatively efficient route of flow (low performance cars have terribly restrictive flow AND sound absorbtion material making them the worst). The after market stuff uses less packing and redirect the flow so that noise cancelling occurs at desired frequencies. They are lighter and that is the main performance benefit. Headers give you better exhaust velocity and cooler temps but seldom is super low flow restrictions a target. Remember, the engine needs some back pressure to keep raw mixture from escaping the cylinders. Super low flow can cause a over-lean condition and your pistons and valves with pay the price.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:14 AM
skiracer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 130 Posts

PSE if your budget permits.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

PSE Rocks..
Old 05-30-2008, 12:21 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate to chime in here, boys, but you ain't heard pleasure until you've heard Ruf. Unfortunately, if you think that PSEs are pricey....
Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Fabspeed set up. Headers(you have exhaust manifold), sport cats, and sport mufflers. It looks good sounds good and it helped on HP and Torque. Lots of weight savings. I run 351HP at the wheels and 273 lbs with my GT3 that has 56,000 miles.
Also, the people at Fabspeed stand behind their products.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
pete13
Intermediate

Is any sort of ECU reprogramming necessary with the installation of an aftermarket exhaust?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Patrick E
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
PSE if your budget permits.
Why not just the PSE mod where you add the bypass pipe to the stock system? Same sound, less $$$. Of course, you can't turn it off, but why would you want to?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Patrick E
Why not just the PSE mod where you add the bypass pipe to the stock system? Same sound, less $$$. Of course, you can't turn it off, but why would you want to?

I installed my PSE without the vacuum and electronic lines so its default is the 'sports' mode. I dont think its loud at all unless you really hard on it.
What I'm Im saying is I think is youd love the sound and not really be worried about cruising quietly. Its the porsche authentic notes
Putting that bypass pipe on a stock muff like Patrcik mentioned above is the way to go if you're in a budget and still like the sound that porsche meant(PSE) their car howl.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:06 PM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had full Fabspeed exhaust syst. and hated it. Every time I go to meet with friends with their GHL, Gembella, TechArt, PSE sound so aggressive than mine. Sick of it, took the loss sold my Fabspeed. Afterward, I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on another brand name syst. I heard all other exhausts but still not satisfied. Did the MKII hacked, not much there.

I saw a video clip on YouTube with a 996 with Kriesseg exhaust syst. and wholly that is the sound I was looking for all this time. F1 howling is the correct description of this exhaust, but looking at the price tag I was shocked. Then one day I decided enough with exhaust thing, I took the chance, got a set of 997 S cans on Ebay for almost nothing and did a double by-pass pipes. Done some minor bending to fit the tips under my 996 bumper. When I started the car I was so surprised with the idle sound, very nice. I took it out for a test drive on local streets and the freeway. I can only say it was amazing, the howling sound that I heard previously on YouTube is there. Cruising at 3500 rpm to see if there any drone, int. resonate. Happy to say, not at all. At WOT it was pure intoxication.

Now, I can't wait for the weekend to take it out for some serious driving.

Quick Reply: Which exhaust?