Sponsored by:

Spot cleaning recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:59 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Spot cleaning recommendation?

Last week a bird crapped on my car (rear spoiler to be specific) and unfortunately, it looks like it slightly damaged the paint before I could get it off. You can not tell looking down at it or from a distance (Arctic Silver Car) but, if you catch the light just right, you can see the mark it left. I used Zymol HD cleanse about ten times and then waxed it using Zymol Gasur wax but I can still see the mark (only from an angle). Nobody sees it when they look at the car but it still bothers me!

Anybody have any tips or recommendations on how to fix this type of spot?

Thanks!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:07 PM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried a clay bar? Sometimes they can remove water spots...might even work in your case and not much of an investment.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

No, I have not tried the clay bar yet. I noticed it was mentioned for a clear coat fix and I think that is what is damaged. I want to try something that is the least abrasive first. How abrasive is the clay bar?

BTW, you car looks incredible. I had a black car for 10 years and never had it shine like that!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Serenity Now
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911TTCAB
No, I have not tried the clay bar yet. I noticed it was mentioned for a clear coat fix and I think that is what is damaged. I want to try something that is the least abrasive first. How abrasive is the clay bar?

BTW, you car looks incredible. I had a black car for 10 years and never had it shine like that!
I'd try a clay bar first. Clay bar should not be abrasive at all (as long as you use a spray cleaner/wax as lubricant. Any store that sells auto waxes should carry a claybar with spray. Very easy, and if your car has never been claybarred all over you should try it. Amazing results.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:21 PM
Mr. RotorHead
Advanced

Thank you SOOOO much for the compliment! Check out this website on an explanation of the clay bar. There are also numerous other articles on detailing your beautiful P-car!

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...-cleaning.html

Rotor sends...
Old 05-27-2008, 08:15 AM
911TTCAB
Racer

Thanks guys. I will try the clay bar out and let you know how it works.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Clay's not gonna work. The stomach acid from the bird has actually etched the clear and since Clay's not abrasive it's not going to fix the issue.

You need an abrasive polish to fix this issue....possibly more depending on how badly the clar has been etched.

Andy
Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Jon996
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a suggestion--the handiest tool I have purchased for quite a while is the mini 3" random orbital from Griot's. I have used it on everything from spot polish/wax on minor scratches to touching up the clearcoat lip on one of my wheels. Also great for the areas where the full size does not fit.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:24 PM
911TTCAB
Racer

Got the Mothers Clay bar and AudiOn19s is right. No change. Bummer.

Since I just waxed it two weeks ago I think I am just going to wait and fix it when I wax it again. I will look into the mini 3" orbital too. Thanks Jon.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:40 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Got the Mothers Clay bar and AudiOn19s is right. No change. Bummer.

Since I just waxed it two weeks ago I think I am just going to wait and fix it when I wax it again. I will look into the mini 3" orbital too. Thanks Jon.
Sorry I was right. I've owned/run a small detailing business for the last 9 years.

Andy

Quick Reply: Spot cleaning recommendation?