996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Hood damaged by Cement Company

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM
jlb532
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I parked it where I did (well out of my way) because I thought it was the safest area possible. Obviously I wouldn't intentionally leave it in a dangerous spot.

The spots more convenient were even more trafficked by the trucks, so I avoided them. The problem occurred when the trucks changed their route after they were finished...detouring right past my car.

The ironic thing is, had I NOT been so paranoid and simply parked in the "convenient" spots...this probably would have been avoided. Lesson learned: You CAN be too careful!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Ummm......sorry to ask the absolutely totally obvious, but if you knew that why wouldn't you just go and move it rather than think about legal action after the event?

Yup, that's my sentiment also. If you care about something, then don't sit there and watch it get screwed up. That is just bizarre. You sat and watched it happen rather than going and picking up your keys and moving it.

I then read your comments about wanting to turn your car into a track car and pocket the check and I shake my head even more. If you care about getting the money, then it should be to fix your car, not to pocket and use for track expenses, that just seems a little shallow to me considering that the entire incident was avoidable and (in your own words) you watched KNOWING it was going to happen.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding the way that you're operating.

I'll copy your previous note back into the thread because I see that you deleted it after posting and some will not know where I got the comments about you wanting to turn your car into a track car from.

"jlb532 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled -
**UPDATED**Hood damaged by Cement Company--Legal Advice? - in the 996
Forum forum of Rennlist Discussion Forums.

This thread is located at:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...2&goto=newpost

Here is the message that has just been posted:
**UPDATE**

Thank you all for your advice thus far. Just spoke with the
contractor, and they "sound", at least off the bat...to be
cooperative.

They advised me to get them estimates, and then they will cut a check
in my name and the shop's name (to perform the work).

Legal guys-my question now is: Is there any way around having to sign
the check over to the shop? In other words, if I decide to turn this
into a track car (which I'd been considering), and would like to
pocket
the money for track time...how can I go about doing so if the shop's
name is on the check as well?
***************"

Last edited by Wellardmac; 05-22-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Added deleted post back into the conversation.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

test
Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Eharrison
...contractor for the ready mix truck (it's not a cement truck). ....
+ + +

You car was splattered with fresh concrete, not cement. Cement is a dry grey very fine powder which is mixed with sand, gravel, and water to make concrete. Fresh concrete is usually delivered as ready-mix in the big trucks that rumbled down your street and splattered your car.

After fresh concrete is placed and then finished, it is left to cure and after a few days it will usually have hydrated enough to be put into light service, depending on the application. At that point it is called hardened concrete. After 28 days the curing process will normally be considered as done, but in reality the concrete will continue to harden for years to come.

Repeat - Cement is a dry dusty powder. You car was not splattered with cement.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jasper
+ + +

You car was splattered with fresh concrete, not cement. Cement is a dry grey very fine powder which is mixed with sand, gravel, and water to make concrete. Fresh concrete is usually delivered as ready-mix in the big trucks that rumbled down your street and splattered your car.

After fresh concrete is placed and then finished, it is left to cure and after a few days it will usually have hydrated enough to be put into light service, depending on the application. At that point it is called hardened concrete. After 28 days the curing process will normally be considered as done, but in reality the concrete will continue to harden for years to come.

Repeat - Cement is a dry dusty powder. You car was not splattered with cement.
What surprises me about this is that fresh concrete has little adhesive or cohesive strength - it is readily washed away by water. I'm amazed that the stuff that was in contact with the paintwork could actually leave a mark, nevermind remove clearcoat after such a short contact duration. Removing clearcoat is a tough thing to do, so this one really surprises me.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:20 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If you don't know the law, I guess you wouldn't think to file a report. However, property damage should always be reported to the police if you expect to try to collect for damages. Many insurance companies won't even talk to you about collecting from a third party without one.

I suspect you would call the police if the truck you're following on the highway dropped a big rock out if it's bed and the rock went through your radiator. There is no difference in this case.

Filing a police report does not translate into charges being filed, but it provides for a nice legal description of what ocurred and if the other party is known, requires a written response from them.
No, actually I didn't call the police when my windshield was broken by gravel from a gravel truck. Why would I? At least here in California, the police have better things to do with their time. If I called the dispatcher with this story, I'd be laughed at.

I got the company name and license number from the truck and called my insurance company. They paid for a new windshield. Maybe they went after the trucking company, I don't know nor do I care.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dell, I mean Wayne

A new Sheriff is in town, haha
Old 05-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy
Dell, I mean Wayne

A new Sheriff is in town, haha

I don't mean to be be mean, but honestly at best this behavior shows a lack of common sense and at worst smells of someone scamming the concrete company to divert a payout to finance a pre-planned track car.

Dell and I share a common trait of calling it as we see it and I just smell a fish.

I find the story and the behavior hard to fathom. I've had concrete on paintwork and it has washed off without an incident, so for the life of me I cannot figure out how it could remove clearcoat when it had been there for so little time. Even if it had dried on for a significant amount of time it shouldn't do that kind of damage.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Very much true.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Tippy
Race Car

I agree, just buff it out and carry on your merry way.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy
I agree, just buff it out and carry on your merry way.
Gotta agree. There's no way that fresh concrete removed clearcoat on freshly waxed bodywork - it just doesn't add up.

Pay some attention to gently washing and applying fresh wax and I'm betting all is well.... other than the track subsidy that he was so obviously seeking to put in his pocket.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:50 PM
jlb532
Instructor

I appreciate your selective detective work, really. Not that I feel obligated to defend myself, but I fear my reputation is being unfairly soiled, and I don't appreciate that.

The post from last week that you referenced was mine, yes. However, it involved a separate incident altogether on the lower panels/splash guards. Fortunately, that DID wash off.

The incident from this week was more serious, and as I stated in a post you chose not to spell out for everyone, I HAD taken precautions to avoid the trucks-parking in an area that seemed safe. When I saw the trucks had changed their route later in the day, I went outside and found the damage.

The DRIVER OF THE TRUCK ADMITTED TO DRIPPING THE CEMENT.

Run any conspiracy theories you like, but those are the facts.

What I chose to do with the money rightly owed me for the damage to my property is my business.

If it helps you sleep at night, after discussing briefly with Tippy, any money will be applied to a detail attempt. No more, no less. Whatever is required to removing that spot.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jlb532
I appreciate your selective detective work, really. Not that I feel obligated to defend myself, but I fear my reputation is being unfairly soiled, and I don't appreciate that.

The post from last week that you referenced was mine, yes. However, it involved a separate incident altogether on the lower panels/splash guards. Fortunately, that DID wash off.

The incident from this week was more serious, and as I stated in a post you chose not to spell out for everyone, I HAD taken precautions to avoid the trucks-parking in an area that seemed safe. When I saw the trucks had changed their route later in the day, I went outside and found the damage.

The DRIVER OF THE TRUCK ADMITTED TO DRIPPING THE CEMENT.

Run any conspiracy theories you like, but those are the facts.

What I chose to do with the money rightly owed me for the damage to my property is my business.

If it helps you sleep at night, after discussing briefly with Tippy, any money will be applied to a detail attempt. No more, no less. Whatever is required to removing that spot.
i) I was not attacking you, but pointing out inconsistencies and things that just didn't make sense in your story.
ii) There was nothing selective about my citations. Why do I need to reference a post in this thread? - people can read. I referenced the other thread because it was relevant to the story and others might not have seen it.

Honestly, if you story is true, then I feel sorry for your car. The truth is that you could have totally prevented the incident altogether by being smart and moving your car when you saw that it was in the line of fire. For knowingly leaving the car in the line of fire when you saw the trucks going by you lost my sympathy.

As you said, a good detail job should fix the mark. At worst you dig out a bottle of Mother's scratch remover and gently polish the area. Wash and reapply wax and all is well. I strongly doubt that actual clearcoat/paint was removed (as you stated) and a little bit of TLC should put everything right. Good luck with that and be more attentive in future.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM
jlb532
Instructor

No sweat Wellard, and thank you for toning it down a notch. It was pretty rough dealing with this headache at home, and then being insulted/doubted by my brethren on here!

As I mentioned, I put the car where I thought it would be safe...perhaps by using the word "knowing" in my first post I caused some confusion. I was saying it more in the "knowing it will happen to me with my luck" sense...not literally that I "knew" it would be damaged.

When I left, the car was secure and out of the way of the numerous trucks. I couldn't physically sit out there and watch them work all day long, so I couldn't know precisely when they altered their route.

I checked from time to time, and when I noticed they were closer to my location, I went to move it...but it was too late.

Fingers crossed that a thorough detail will get this back to the way it was. I was surprised as well that the fairly fresh wax didn't provide better protection, but that's what I get for using Turtle Wax I suppose.
Sitting in direct sunlight didn't help matters either.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and help. Here's hoping this has a happy ending.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jlb532
No sweat Wellard, and thank you for toning it down a notch. It was pretty rough dealing with this headache at home, and then being insulted/doubted by my brethren on here!

As I mentioned, I put the car where I thought it would be safe...perhaps by using the word "knowing" in my first post I caused some confusion. I was saying it more in the "knowing it will happen to me with my luck" sense...not literally that I "knew" it would be damaged.

When I left, the car was secure and out of the way of the numerous trucks. I couldn't physically sit out there and watch them work all day long, so I couldn't know precisely when they altered their route.

I checked from time to time, and when I noticed they were closer to my location, I went to move it...but it was too late.

Fingers crossed that a thorough detail will get this back to the way it was. I was surprised as well that the fairly fresh wax didn't provide better protection, but that's what I get for using Turtle Wax I suppose.
Sitting in direct sunlight didn't help matters either.

Anyway, thanks all for the advice and help. Here's hoping this has a happy ending.
I hope it's a happy ending also, as I hate to see nice cars get damaged - I feel for you there. I meant my first comment in that my experience has taught me that whatever can get screwed up will - if you see a situation like that it's best to get the hell out of there quickly, as damage will happen.

I will say through that you shouldn't be using Turtle Wax on your car and that might be part of the problem - get a better wax as that stuff is junk. It provides little protection and does little more than loading up your clearcoat with silicones. I don't even use that stuff on my wife's Honda anymore.

You will find lots of recommendations around here for detailing products. I personally use Mother's Carnuba Wax.

If you read this thread here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/420219-spring-detailing-first-time-wielding-a-clay-bar.html

You will find that cdodkin posted his experiences (including photos and video) of some Ultima products that do an amazing job of shining and protecting paintwork. Believe me, we all love making our cars look nice and there are no end of good products that will help keep your paintwork in shape.

Start with this on the mark

http://www.amazon.com/MOTHERS-Califo...1505706&sr=8-2

and that should fix the job - be VERY gentle and do not hurry. You can do more harm than good if you're not careful.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Hood damaged by Cement Company