Sponsored by:

venting: UPS damaged my decklid

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:30 PM
yasuro
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default venting: UPS damaged my decklid

so a fellow rennlister was kind enough to sell me his arctic silver stock deck lid very cheaply. so cheaply that the shipping was equal to the cost of the deck lid.

"great!", i thought to myself, "i won't even have to paint it.".

i get the part by UPS yesterday and i take it out. lo and behold. the upper right most corner is bent (almost rolled under itself) and the paint is flaking off. ugh. i go online and open a damage claim with UPS.

so today i take it to autometric and they quote me $672 for repair and paint. autometric is a body shop that specializes in high-end cars. when i was getting an estimate, a quattroporte was getting a clear bra installed.

anyway, i get an estimate from another shop $572. double ugh.

so i get home with estimates in hand and the UPS driver shows up to pickup my deck lid. now there has been no call by UPS to me or communication of any kind. so i asked him what he was going to do with it. he said he had no idea. it had to go to damage claims and they would handle it. but he said normally they would ship it back to the sender and pay him a claim. but since the sender is not a company, but an individual, and I was the one to pay shipping and for the part, how was i going to get reimbursed?

i told him that wasn't going to help me at all, so he gave me the number for the local distribution center/office and i call the manager. i explained my situation to the manager and he said he'd call back.

out of all this, the best outcome would be for them to pay for repair. i really want a deck lid. after all, what are the chances that i'll find another arctic silver stock deck lid for cheap? heck, it also came with an additional motor.

the 2nd best option is for them to pay me the cost of the part and shipping and ship it back to the rennlister.

the 3rd, and most likely scenario, is that they'll ship it back to the rennlister and he'll have to mail me a check (or tear up the check i sent him).

very frustrating. i REALLY wanted to install my deck lid today. not the worst that could happen to someone, but still. . .
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Sorry to hear about the trouble. Get ready to hear, "The item wasn't packaged correctly" and have them try to deny your claim.... I once sold an aftermarket ECU to someone and the shipping company flat out lost the entire box. Then they tried disputing the value of the item in the box...It took about 8 weeks to finally get the money back. Insanity.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Sorry to hear about the trouble. Get ready to hear, "The item wasn't packaged correctly" and have them try to deny your claim.... I once sold an aftermarket ECU to someone and the shipping company flat out lost the entire box. Then they tried disputing the value of the item in the box...It took about 8 weeks to finally get the money back. Insanity.
i'm hoping that doesn't happen. it was boxed and shipped from a UPS store (#2681) so i hope i can fore go the finger pointing.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:54 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard FedEx is better than UPS.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Halim, I'm so sorry about the damaged decklid. I just got home and I had a message from the local UPS store about the damage. The owner called me. He packaged it. I just spoke to him again after seeing the pictures. It was obviously dropped. I hope you kept the decklid. They will refund me the purchase price that I charged you plus shipping. I will tear up your check (if that is ok) and you can keep the damaged decklid (free). If there is anything else that I can do to rectify this, please let me know....I feel terrible.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Halim, when I go talk to the owner of the local UPS store, I will see if he can refund me the amount to have the decklid repaired. If he does, I will send you the difference between what you payed and what it will cost to have it repaired & painted (and I will still tear up your check).
Old 05-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Barn996
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yasuro, if you bought the decklid from Mflecth...you bought from a good guy who will go beyond the call of duty to make you happy.I would buy from hom again at anytime, knowing that he'll make it right.GL
Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Halim, I just spoke to the local UPS owner again. The best UPS will do is refund the purchase price plus shipping and packaging. When he packaged it, he asked me the value. I told him that I sold it for $150, but the part probably cost $3,000 new from Porsche.
I hope you kept the decklid. The internal parts are probably undamaged. It isn't much fun (I speak fom experience), but you can buy a shell of the decklid off eaby and transfer the wing assembly. The only way to have it correctly painted, is to disassemble it.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Steve, thanks. Halim, please let me know what I can do to make this up to you.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:57 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

This is a total bummer guys, sorry to hear how it turned out. Sometimes no good deed goes unpunished...

Mark, you are a stand up guy.

Yasuro, for good body work, there is also Automark Collision in Farmington Hills. They do outstanding work and have great customer service, ask me how I know
Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 PM
yasuro
Pro

thanks everyone. and mark, thanks for all the help.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:14 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

My advice is to not let the deck lid out of your possession until you are satisfied that you will get the results you want from UPS.
A Similar thing happened to me with FedEx (UPS has a poor reputation for cross border shipments into Canada). I bought a new single sport design wheel to complete a set of three I already had. Wheel arrived damaged and it was obvious to me and the driver that the package had been dropped, so he told me to call in and make a claim. In the mean time I got some local quotes ($100) to repair the wheel. A FedEx adjuster picked up the wheel all shipping labels and a copy of my quotes, and said they needed to make their own assessment, it would take a couple of days. I agree but never heard back from them. A week later after several calls, I find out that their damage assessment department is somewhere in San Diego, and I'm in Toronto. They take responsibility for the damage but will only reimburse the shipper whom I paid to send me the wheel. They ended up sending the wheel across the country twice, & paying $300 to the seller of the wheel (FedEx kept the wheel) instead of paying the $100 to repair the wheel. It took several hours spent on the phone, by myself and the seller of the wheel, with FedEx to resolve this issue, and ended up with a result none of us wanted.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:21 PM
yasuro
Pro

Originally Posted by aron in toronto
My advice is to not let the deck lid out of your possession until you are satisfied that you will get the results you want from UPS.
A Similar thing happened to me with FedEx (UPS has a poor reputation for cross border shipments into Canada). I bought a new single sport design wheel to complete a set of three I already had. Wheel arrived damaged and it was obvious to me and the driver that the package had been dropped, so he told me to call in and make a claim. In the mean time I got some local quotes ($100) to repair the wheel. A FedEx adjuster picked up the wheel all shipping labels and a copy of my quotes, and said they needed to make their own assessment, it would take a couple of days. I agree but never heard back from them. A week later after several calls, I find out that their damage assessment department is somewhere in San Diego, and I'm in Toronto. They take responsibility for the damage but will only reimburse the shipper whom I paid to send me the wheel. They ended up sending the wheel across the country twice, & paying $300 to the seller of the wheel (FedEx kept the wheel) instead of paying the $100 to repair the wheel. It took several hours spent on the phone, by myself and the seller of the wheel, with FedEx to resolve this issue, and ended up with a result none of us wanted.
i got the same advice from mark and the UPS store manager that mark used.

i called UPS today and will be getting an onsite inspection done by UPS. they are to call me to schedule by COB tomorrow.

i'll keep this thread updated in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Well, I guess this is a good lesson in how to deal with UPS. I've never been impressed with their ability to deliver a package without damage - now I know never to let them take the item away, otherwise both the buyer and seller will get screwed.

Quick Reply: venting: UPS damaged my decklid