996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Front license plate gone ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 05:11 AM
ghostwriter11
Racer

Default Front license plate gone ...

I assume it was stolen, along with the mounting kit, but it may have just fallen off somewhere. (Has anybody experienced front license plate fall-off??)

Pain in the butt anyway, since I had to make a police report (assuming stolen), go the DMV for another set of plates (only $17, what a bargain!) and then buy another complete mounting kit.

Why does California have this ridiculous front plate BS anyway????

Old 05-19-2008 | 09:13 AM
OCNYPORSCHE
Addict
Rennlist Member

In NY, you need the front plates too. The US front plate mount is not designed that good. I used 2 parts from an Audi mount kit that work much better than the Porsche ones. I am talking about some simple plastic pieces that cost about $0.50

I think that an Audi/VW dealer would have them. Contact Sunset Imports, and they will know. They are sqaure white pieces that need alot of force to insert them. Then, you get thread holes that you can screw in the angled black pieces. Sorry to be vague, but I did this a while ago, so I am going on memory.
Old 05-19-2008 | 10:28 AM
yasuro
Pro

one of the few reasons that i'm glad i live in michigan. no front plates here. i must say that just about any car looks better without front plates.
Old 05-19-2008 | 12:06 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

report it stolen ASAP. Then you can wait for a new plate. In the mean time you have a document which will protect you until you get around to replacing the plate. My daughter had no front plate for 11 months.

Photo intersections are one reason
Old 05-19-2008 | 01:07 PM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

It happened to me....My front plates fell off not long after I put it on (right after I bought the car). It was my fault, I guess it wasn't tight enough.

I forgot what I had to do. I live in New Jersey and DMV wouldn't replace it. I had to pay a small fee and they gave me new plates and a new registration along with a letter that this was a replacement for my missing plate.

I believe my car fax may show an extra owner, but it's just me registering my car a second time to get the new plates.
Old 05-19-2008 | 01:17 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver
It happened to me....My front plates fell off not long after I put it on (right after I bought the car). It was my fault, I guess it wasn't tight enough.

I forgot what I had to do. I live in New Jersey and DMV wouldn't replace it. I had to pay a small fee and they gave me new plates and a new registration along with a letter that this was a replacement for my missing plate.

I believe my car fax may show an extra owner, but it's just me registering my car a second time to get the new plates.
That's an odd one. CA DMV will issue you new plates if the plates were stolen and/or mutilated.

Quick Reply: Front license plate gone ...