RemoteTOP and SmartTOP - three questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 AM
patrikr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RemoteTOP and SmartTOP - three questions

Hi,

I'm considering getting RemoteTOP and SmartTOP for my 01 C2 but have three questions.

1. Have anyone who has them had problems with servicing the car at a Porsche dealership. The reason I ask is that they have the bypass feature but while I would like to get them both it seems like a pain to have them bypassed at every service

2. RemoteTOP allows you to have the infrared alarm activated when the top is down. How prone is this to false alarms? I would really like to have this feature but not if it will make the alarm go off all the time

3. Anyone know of someone who can install these in the Bay Area? Looks easy enough to do yourself but would rather have someone more professional do it.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:39 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

1. I only have the SmartTop but have NEVER had a problem having it serviced.

2. See #1.

3. It is pathetically easy to install the SmartTop yourself. I'm told RemoteTop is pretty darn easy also. THe instructions include pictures for you.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought and I blame them both for a top repair and a blown fuse (shop repair) both repairs at my independent were under 200 bucks each....and I got one unit replaced very fast by wilhelm...since these 2 hickups they almost always function well.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:08 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I've never had an issue with my SmartTop... has worked perfectly since installed.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:43 PM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

My SmartTop has been working perfect for over one year now.
Love it.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both which I installed myself about 2 years ago and I suck with a wrench. Never had a problem with either. I highly recommend both.

1) Never had a problem at the dealership, but then again I've never had a warranty issue with the cab top which would make the mods an issue.

2) Never left the top down with the alarm on so I don't know.

3) It's not hard to DIY, if you can use a screwdriver and a ratchet. Basically you'd be paying a pro for the convenience. However, it can be a PITA to install RemoteTOP under the seat if you don't pull out the seat. My back hurts just recalling the contortions. I recommend removing the seat to access the control box.

Has Tim left the building yet? Who's been promoted to the position of Photo Czar? Has an interim Czar been sworn in yet?
Old 05-19-2008, 07:50 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Very good point. I think that we'll all need to do some policing round here.

patrikr, first post, no introduction and no photos?! What are you nuts?!
Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Idocdes
Rennlist Member

I had a problem, from day 1. Was relatively finicky in when it wanted to work while at idle speed. Eventually had a major electronic issue, car would not stop(even after key removal, then would not start, all warning lights illuminated. Ultimately was removed, problems solved. I did enjoy it when it did work.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:52 PM
996superfly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have both units for about 5 months now, no problem so far. If they do in the future, the company owner's Sven live 15 min. from my house and I have visited him when I picked up the units.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:49 AM
patrikr
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nycebo
patrikr, first post, no introduction and no photos?! What are you nuts?!
Yeah, you're right. First time owner, kinda like a boy dream come true I guess. Already thinking about what my next one will be once the lease on the real daily driver is up... the Porsche bug bites very hard it seems.

Really by chance we got one. Me and my wife was filling up gas and the station was just next to a Porsche dealership. We'd been talking about a second car but weren't really seriously considering buying one. Still, I asked my wife to go over to the dealership and see if they had anything that she liked. 10 minutes later she hadn't returned so I walked over and there she was, talking to a salesman, arranging a test drive etc. Two days later we picked up the keys.

It's a black 01 C2 in perfect condition (or at least was until the wife drove over a small concrete thing yesterday) with 70k miles. One previous owner who seemed to take really good care of the car. Apart from the wife's little "accident" I couldn't be happier!
Attached Images    
Old 05-22-2008, 09:34 AM
OH997
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hijack the thread but can someone tell me what these do?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OH997
Sorry to hijack the thread but can someone tell me what these do?

Thanks
Here

https://www.wit-usa.com/sms/shop/ind...egories&cat=14

Depending which car you have they give extra functionality with the remote key fob or roof controls.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

SmartTop is fantastic....I did have an issue with my first unit...intermittent action, but Stephan graciously replaced it and it has worked like a charm ever since. The one-touch action is great and control of the rear windows is nice....that is all I wanted.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got a Smart Top available for this specific car.
Just sold my 2000 C2 and took mine off. Perfect condition.
Paid 300$. Asking 200$ + shipping.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:27 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

patrikr, beautiful car. Welcome. Love cabs. Nothing like driving around on a beauty of a sunny day with the convertible down. Car does look in great condition, or at least was pre-concrete incident. I might suggest your first mod being the replacement of the amber side lights. But I warn you, mods are addicting as can be testified by Rennlist Modifiers Anonymous (RMA): Hi, my name is Edward and I'm a modaholic.

Quick Reply: RemoteTOP and SmartTOP - three questions