Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Differential whine (I think) and how to go about getting it fixed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:22 AM
theonlyrobertson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Differential whine (I think) and how to go about getting it fixed.

When I bought my pcar (2000, coupe, 6sp, 38K) it was CPO. Bought it 6/05. In July I had the dealer investigate a driveline whine at 50-70-MPH under load. They found a nail in a side wall on the rear, replaced the tires and stated it was normal. It was better, but the kind of better you get with new tires (Dunlup SP9000). The RO states worn tires, but I kept the good one cause it was at about 1/2 tread depth.

The noise was still there but not too bad and I assumed this is how a Pcar sounds (this is my first).

A year later ( 8/06), my ignition switch died and the car was towed to another dealer for repair. While it was their I asked them to check it out. RO states no abnormal noises other than tire noise (10K miles since previous RO).

In 5/07, brought the car in for the mechanical inspection of the 60K service (I did filters, plugs, coils, oil) myself. I figured I'd get this done as the CPO was about to end. No issues found other than recommended an alignment.

Finally, last week, I got to drive a 2001 with 25K miles. No noise like mine. So now I'm convinces my differential is out of alignment or has a bad bearing. The noise is load under load (50-65 MPH), any gear, doesn't change with cornering. The drone makes driving the car a real drag for any distance.

So I'm looking for recommendations on how to get Porsche to address under warranty as I complained two times in as many years when it was under CPO.

Thanks for any advice.

Quick Reply: Differential whine (I think) and how to go about getting it fixed.