996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding 996's engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 PM
boxhead
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From this pic, the stud is intact. Is there more than one cause??

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=ims
Old 06-25-2008, 06:53 PM
EJAX
Track Day

I have a related question. I just learned that the IMS "failed" on my 2000 C4 with about 50k miles. The IMS nut was indeed sheared off in the bellhousing. The car was still driving, however. At the shop, the tech showed me that there were metal flecks in the oil filter. I have an aftermarket warranty that may try to have the engine rebuilt as opposed to replaced depending on cost and degree of damage to the engine. The question I have is what the metal flecks in the oil filter likely mean about the nature and extent of damage to the engine and whether it is even possible to rebuild a 996 engine in this situation as opposed to replacing it.

Thanks for any info you may have.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM
veloceimports
1st Gear

We have a 2000 996 with #7 main bearing damaged but crank surface good. #6 rod bearing is gone with some heat cracks on the journal. Has anyone welded up the crank and reground and hardened them with success. Customer is sick of pouring money in it. Not to interested in buying new crank and haven't found a used one yet.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:10 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

You can rebuild an M96 engine.

I worked along side a mechanic and did it on my Boxster 4 years ago.

I have since done a couple more.

My mechanic made all his own special tools from Home Depot stock.

The hardest part is the piston wrist clips. The second set is a blind assembly.

The only tool we purchased was the camshaft holding tool -- but this could be made too
if one really wanted to.

mike
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Jake Raby's company, Flat Six Innovations, holds M96 engine rebuilding classes from time to time. I believe they're about $1000-$1200, plus your travel costs. Given his reputation for building rock-solid M96s, that would be money well-spent if I were to tackle an M96 rebuild for the first time. I considered doing just that (I, too, am a decades-long gearhead and do all my own work). But after adding up parts and cost for machine work, etc., I decided to have Flat Six do the rebuild.

Of course that cost substantially more, and everyone's budget vs. time is different. There are some things they're able to do (port/polish using a flow bench, dynamic balance of rotating assembly, and so on) that I can't. Back to your question, though, I would check out their class and schedule. On a Porsche engine, not hard to mess up $1000 worth trying to totally DIY...
Old 04-03-2013, 05:24 PM
alpine003
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The man is only asking a simple question that no one has answered yet.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Originally Posted by alpine003
The man is only asking a simple question that no one has answered yet.
The questions were, "Has anyone else rebuilt their own engine?" and "Would I be better off doing it myself than having it done (presumably by an expert)?"

The simple answers, I suppose, are, "Yes" and "No." The M96 ain't your daddy's big block.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by veloceimports
We have a 2000 996 with #7 main bearing damaged but crank surface good. #6 rod bearing is gone with some heat cracks on the journal. Has anyone welded up the crank and reground and hardened them with success. Customer is sick of pouring money in it. Not to interested in buying new crank and haven't found a used one yet.

This is what I was referring to since this is the only recent question that was bumped since 2008 that immediately needed an answer.

I think it's safe to say the people from 2008 already got the answers they were originally seeking.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:30 PM
BiteEmNBeatEm
Instructor

This is what I was referring to since this is the only recent question that was bumped since 2008 that immediately needed an answer.

I think it's safe to say the people from 2008 already got the answers they were originally seeking.
Originally Posted by veloceimports
My 3.4 crank was welded up and regrinded to a 3.6 stroke crank and then heat treated to harden the crank but we decided to use a factory 3.6 crank and crank carrier and have it balanced and cross drilled for extra oiling.

I am sure that you could have a 3.4 crank repaired the same way with success. We just did not want to use the weld/grind since we are trying to push this motor to 600+ hp. My shop actualy used it on another build that was staying naturally aspirated unlike my turbo build.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM
peterbigblock
Instructor

Ah, I didn't pay attention to the dates! I stand corrected.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:45 PM
alpine003
Banned

Originally Posted by peterbigblock
Ah, I didn't pay attention to the dates! I stand corrected.
No worries mate. All these posts seem to go off on tangents anyways sooner or later.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding 996's engine